MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Pom Pom Island Dive Report 2012

Pom Pom Island Dive Report 2012

Trip reports, resort reviews and questions about Malaysian destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Pom Pom Island Dive Report 2012

Post Number:#1  Postby toodus » Wed May 09, 2012 4:25 pm

I bought an Air Asia  ticket to Tawau on May 2011 for RM50.00 both ways during the RM0.00 sale and totally forgot about it until recently.
Logging into AirAsia's Manage My Booking is something I do once a month and when I did so, I realized I had a ticket to Tawau and it's in 4 days time. Frantic phone calls were made and I ended up again in Celebes Beach Resort on Pom Pom island. My 5th visit in less than 2 years.
As usual I drove to LCCT very early in the morning as my flight was at 7am. Parking for me was always the usual free parking space near the unused Maybank building. It is a 15 minute walk to the main terminal of LCCT from there but hey, it's free and I'm parking for a number of days. After the roundabout turning to LCCT, I was shocked to find the free parking space has been converted into a PAID parking space! An exorbitant RM16.00 per day charge this time. RM16.00 x 5 = RM 80.00.  I did try to scour for other free parking spots but even the free parking aligned with the runaway also has been converted to a paid parking space. Sigh...no choice but to pay for RM16.00 a day.
I'm missing precious minutes looking for parking because eventhough I have checked in online, I need to check in my bag and the queue can actually make you miss your flight even at 6am.
I managed to avoid all that and by 7am I was on my way to Tawau and for some unexpected diving. It's a nice feeling to be not expecting to dive and suddenly, you're gearing up.

Anyway, here are some of the pictures I took while I was on Pom Pom

Roboastra Luteolineata
Tambja Morosa
Pleasant Chelidonura - Caught this at the best angle
[img width=600 height=450]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eHhUWH-KFAE/T6olBrBiYrI/AAAAAAAAD6w/FGZtfHmW2EY/s640/P1120312.JPG[/img]
Porcelain Crab- I just discovered that in their arms , they have "fans/net" to catch floating would be food. My dream is to take a photo when both fans are up
[img width=600 height=450]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qBMLnF5gi9E/T6olGJvHBcI/AAAAAAAAD7k/xDKZ_Ef0Z_w/s640/P1120533.JPG[/img]
Hairy Squat Lobster - My money shot. I now know what to look for when I see barrel sponge corals - they're the purple ones.
[img width=600 height=450]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2pQPBiLoX0U/T6olG4M18BI/AAAAAAAAD78/iggA7Nt5zZ8/s640/P1120569.JPG[/img]
Can help identify?
Frogfish using the angler as bait in action. Another money shot. Had to wait 20 minutes
Frogfish during night dive at only 4metres
The same expression when I saw the sign "Parking RM16.00 Per Day". This is not a stargazer by the way.
[img width=600 height=450]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_qvZeUQG090/T6olYhfhwuI/AAAAAAAAEEQ/pOnf9eOTOGQ/s640/P1130211.JPG[/img]
My Hairy Squat Lobster Money Shot that floored Imran Ahmad. We're coming for you buddy
[img width=600 height=450]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q56LRfFIIT8/T6olbhcY0uI/AAAAAAAAEAM/iI57HZljUsE/s640/P1130486.JPG[/img]
Shrimp
[img width=600 height=450]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ejHI7apH8j4/T6olcatFZ6I/AAAAAAAAEAc/5GXBQVHLb5s/s640/P1130543.JPG[/img]
DIY Strobe. Clothes pegs from Daiso.

I arrived LCCT at 1am. RM80.00 in my wallet waiting to be handed over to the cashier. As I dragged my dive bag 15 minutes away to my car. I decided to pull this stunt I heard before from people parking in KLIA.

Please don't judge me from the stunt I'm going to tell you guys. I can choose not to tell but for the sake of this report, I'll include it:

I decided to claim that I lost my parking ticket and the penalty for a lost ticket is RM30.00. Good deal right? But not everyone is as stupid as we think they are. These parking guys actually have a log whereby they write down every vehicle's car number plate every night to weed out potential cheaters like me. Anyway, the guy manning the booth was pretty old and it was 2am already. I told him I parked like  a few nights ago and I could see he couldn't be bothered with going through the copious amount of vehicle license plate numbers written on a 555 note pad.  At the end, we discussed on the most optimum outcome and we did this by asking a car exiting to re-enter the entry point but to just stop there , take the new parking ticket issued, reverse and move on without entering the car park. That new ticket is then handed to me and at the end of the day, I only paid RM1.00 for my 5 days of parking in LCCT.

I hope you guys don't judge me ....
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

[size=78%] [/size]
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author
Topics: 18

Re: Pom Pom Island Dive Report 2012

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Wed May 09, 2012 4:50 pm

toodus wrote:I decided to claim that I lost my parking ticket and the penalty for a lost ticket is RM30.00. Good deal right? But not everyone is as stupid as we think they are. These parking guys actually have a log whereby they write down every vehicle's car number plate every night to weed out potential cheaters like me. Anyway, the guy manning the booth was pretty old and it was 2am already. I told him I parked like  a few nights ago and I could see he couldn't be bothered with going through the copious amount of vehicle license plate numbers written on a 555 note pad.  At the end, we discussed on the most optimum outcome and we did this by asking a car exiting to re-enter the entry point but to just stop there , take the new parking ticket issued, reverse and move on without entering the car park. That new ticket is then handed to me and at the end of the day, I only paid RM1.00 for my 5 days of parking in LCCT.

Ooooo MMMMM GGGGG! cheapskate to the max..nope..this is not cheapskate.. it is more than that ..i just couldn't find the word right now...it is a cross between cheapskat and scam-genius  :evil6:
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby mamakpenang » Wed May 09, 2012 5:01 pm

toodus,
nice photo.... B-)
i support u....& u did pay your parking ticket
if i were to choose between paying RM1.00 or RM80.00, i will choose to pay RM1.00.....haha
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby toodus » Wed May 09, 2012 5:07 pm

run wrote:

Ooooo MMMMM GGGGG! cheapskate to the max..nope..this is not cheapskate.. it is more than that ..i just couldn't find the word right now...it is a cross between cheapskat and scam-genius  :evil6:

Maybe just Genius.....
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby purplediver82 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Ahakksss...I like this kind of experience. Hahahaha...by the way, don't be so 'angkat bakul' (praising yourself) okehhh.....
Live dive, eat dive,sleep dive...ahakkss
purplediver82
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby toodus » Thu May 10, 2012 1:15 am

OK sorry...i take it back.......im no genius.....
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby decimal86 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 am

bro i award you the genius tag. for the DIY strobe !! syabas thats the torch from petaling street ?

loved your pictures. wish my Olym would behave itself sometimes. and my Z240, sometimes its just Zzzzzzzz.

ADOI! just saw their rates and diving packages its 5D4N 11 dives comes up to RMXXXX ? hampir pengsan! i will nvr complain about SWV rates again... thats almost what i paid for Ambon minus the airfare.

pm me what you paid can? thks
Last edited by decimal86 on Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#8  Postby decimal86 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:12 pm

picture #6? went through all neville coleman's (the late) but no luck, i think its a flatworm?
Last edited by decimal86 on Thu May 10, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby toodus » Thu May 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Picture no. 6 is a thurdilla bro...
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby decimal86 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 pm

thks.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby terjuntiruk » Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 pm

I think picture no 6 resemble more of Elysia ornata. My 2 cents.
terjuntiruk
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 1

Return to Local Destinations