MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Layang Layang Island 22-27 April

Layang Layang Island 22-27 April

Trip reports, resort reviews and questions about Malaysian destinations.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies.

Layang Layang Island 22-27 April

Post Number:#1  Postby reztitan » Mon May 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Here is my report on Layang Layang.
[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Hahalo/Layang2.jpg[/img]
I was there on the 22nd- 27th April. 7D6N, doing a total of 18Dives (15Dives + 2 Night Dives & 1 Jetty Dive)
It was raining on my 1st day of arrival. Was greeted by the staff on some basic rules (mainly on not transpassing onto the navy base next door), than was introduce to our DM, Ban'Z and was briefed on the infamous rules of Layang Layang.
After all the briefing we were given our room keys and was told to meet at the dive center to unpack our gears for our 1st dive.
Our group was assigned to the boat with the lucky number 8, and it will be our boat for the rest of the trip. Gears & Tanks was preloaded onto the boat before each dive, making diving at Layang 2 a leisure.
Ok cut to the chase. Personally I feel diving at Layang2 is all down to the quest of finding the Scalloped Hammerhead Sharks.
Every morning you start your day with a light breakfast (a piece of toast) at 6am. 1st Dive start at 7.15am, we call it the 'Hammer Dive' , you drop at the clift of the atoll and swim out into the blue. DM will dive into depth of around 30m searching for Hammer and the rest of you hanging around 20+metres. Waiting for the 'hammer sign' by the DM. After 15mins of search, the DM begin to turn around and head back to the atoll. Than you hang around the clift for another 20mins before you do your safety stop and get back to your boat. Each dive into the blue last for 45mins to 50mins.
[img width=450 height=600]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Hahalo/Layang1.jpg[/img]
[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Hahalo/Shrimp.jpg[/img]
When you get back you have your main breakfast waiting for you. Baring in mind your next dive is at 11am. Usually the 2nd dive of the day will be similar to your 1st. Drop you at another dive site and you repeat the 'blue swim' and your clift atoll exploration before returning into the boat.
[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Hahalo/Jacks.jpg[/img]
After the 2nd dive you return to the resort for lunch. Than you have your decompression time nap, and the 3rd dive scheduled at 3pm. 3rd dive usually along the clift or within the reef. Than when you get back you have your happy hour and tea time. You can even go for a swim while you wait for your dinner at 7.30pm. Like they said Eat, Sleep & Dive. With 5meals, 3dives and a nap a day, what else would you ask for.
[img width=600 height=512]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Hahalo/PygmySeahorse.jpg[/img]
Overall I think to see the hammerhead sharks or not, its all down to your luck. We didnt get to see any hammerhead sharks for the 1st 3days of our stay, with other groups all have successful sighting. Its getting a little desperate as time goes by and the realisation of not actually see one before we go back begin to set in. During our 4th day, the moment that we have been waiting for finally arrive. With a sudden turn of body the DM hit his tank with his pointed. Everyone dive down from 20+m into deeper water, than everyone begin their frantic 360' degree search. False alarm  :laughing11: . Everyone drift back to 20+m dissappointed but not broken. Than come the hand signal by the DM and this time no banging on tank. We drop down asap and than we saw it. Just 2 hammerhead sharks, swimming gracefully passing by us at deeper water, we swim closer to get a better shot than you start to hear everyone's dive comp alarm begin to beep like crazy. I check my dive comp 40.2m  :D , time to go back up a little before I need to deco. Got my video and return back to the boat a satisfy diver. To top it all, a port of 30+ dophins accompany our boat as we heading back to the resort. What a way to finish a dive. All of a sudden the amount of time spend hunting and money spend on this trip suddenly become much more worth it than the start of the morning. We continue hammerhead sharks sighting on the next day, not the big hammer wall we were hoping for but around 5 sharks in a group.
Overall I feel diving in layang layang, you will either love it or hate it. Those who meet one will forever brag about it for the rest of their life, those who didnt will forever curse the island for false advertising. Whatever it is I feel this is a once in a life time trip and I will not return here for a very long time, Im glad I manage to see it and the momery of the hammerhead sharks swimming pass me will forever be inprinted into my mind.
[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Hahalo/BirdIsland.jpg[/img]
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author
Topics: 2

Re: Layang Layang Island 22-27 April

Post Number:#2  Postby Dirt-Diver » Mon May 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Great photos. Targeting to dive there too.
So many dive sites and yet so little time :(
Dirt-Diver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby toodus » Mon May 07, 2012 8:08 pm

It must be frustrating to not see a hammer head in Lyg Lyg. I feel for you bro. Same thing happened to me in Sipadan. Din see the bumpheads. But I always adopt a every dive is a  unique dive....
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#4  Postby reztitan » Tue May 08, 2012 9:14 am

I did see the hammerhead.. just not the hammerhead wall of 60-70 sharks ... lol

I think basically there is 2 main dive site at layang2 that have a higher chance of sighting.. The Point & Wrasse Strip located and each end of the atoll.. because when u look at the dive chart.. most dive for hammers are conducted at this 2 sites.. We saw our hammerhead for 2 days in a roll at the Wrasse Strip.. but when i chat with other divers there at the time, they told me their sighting was at The Point.
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby blue hole » Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 pm

REZ!,

Glad you saw them...that is a HUGE accomplishment in itself! It must have been agony those first few days before you saw them, I can remember the same feeling as well.  I'm sorry if my video may have given you false hope, but I had to post...that's why we dive right?!  You said you got video....let's see it!!  It's been a month and I am already waiting to return, the hammerheads call to me like sirens from the deep...haha.

Glad you had a good trip
blue hole
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Kimi@Desmo » Wed May 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Ahh, we left 1 day before you arrived layang2.. We stayed there from 17 until 21st April. Yeah, i agree with you, you will either love it or hate it..we were all a bit lucky on the 2nd day where we spotted a school of hammerhead on our 1st dive. it was raining that morning, and the water temperature was a bit colder than usual. we managed to see at least 30-40 of them swimmming gracefully around us. that was it, after that, they didnt show up at all. well, it depends on how lucky you are to see them. personally, i think they shouldn't charged us extra 10% surcharge to stay & dive during this season as spotting hammerhead is not a guarantee..  ;)
Kimi@Desmo
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby decimal86 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:37 am

Kimi@Desmo wrote:Ahh, we left 1 day before you arrived layang2.. We stayed there from 17 until 21st April. Yeah, i agree with you, you will either love it or hate it..we were all a bit lucky on the 2nd day where we spotted a school of hammerhead on our 1st dive. it was raining that morning, and the water temperature was a bit colder than usual. we managed to see at least 30-40 of them swimmming gracefully around us. that was it, after that, they didnt show up at all. well, it depends on how lucky you are to see them. personally, i think they shouldn't charged us extra 10% surcharge to stay & dive during this season as spotting hammerhead is not a guarantee..  ;)

that's a bit strange..what if no sightings ? money back ? only 1 then how ?
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#8  Postby Kimi@Desmo » Thu May 10, 2012 2:05 pm

decimal86 wrote:
Kimi@Desmo wrote:Ahh, we left 1 day before you arrived layang2.. We stayed there from 17 until 21st April. Yeah, i agree with you, you will either love it or hate it..we were all a bit lucky on the 2nd day where we spotted a school of hammerhead on our 1st dive. it was raining that morning, and the water temperature was a bit colder than usual. we managed to see at least 30-40 of them swimmming gracefully around us. that was it, after that, they didnt show up at all. well, it depends on how lucky you are to see them. personally, i think they shouldn't charged us extra 10% surcharge to stay & dive during this season as spotting hammerhead is not a guarantee..  ;)

that's a bit strange..what if no sightings ? money back ? only 1 then how ?

nahh, no money back guarantee...thats why i said they shouldn't charged extra 10% surcharge during this time...im not entirely sure on the real reason of the additional 10%..it could be bcoz of the peak season, they need to bring extra staffs to work in the resort? but i didn't see the resort was full house though...god knows...
Kimi@Desmo
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby blue hole » Fri May 11, 2012 8:47 am

Its a safari....not a zoo
blue hole
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby Narco » Fri May 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Of course no guarantee. Would be quite an experience to swim along with hammerhead. Some even bumped into whales. That is if you are really pretty lucky.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#11  Postby reztitan » Mon May 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Yeah, no money refund if you didnt get to see any hammerhead. There were another group that dive with us on the same day, same site & same time, we were lucky enough to see the hammerhead but they didnt. They left on the same flight with us and some were complaining they didnt get to see any hammerhead.

Its all down to your luck, from what I gather from other divers, most divers only manage to see the hammerhead once or twice during their 5days - 1week stay in layang layang. For my case i only get to see them on my 9th dives there.

So better be prepare to leave empty handed if you visit layang layang. April-May might be the season but its only allow you 'higher' chances to see them. Its really allow you to understand the meaning "Finding needle in a haystack" .
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby toodus » Mon May 14, 2012 2:51 pm

The only reason why the other group did not see a single habuk of a hammerhead is because my ex girlfriend was in that group.
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby tunaturner » Mon May 14, 2012 5:38 pm

LOL @toodus!  :D anyways thanks for the report. You should really share the video on them hammerheads.
tunaturner
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#14  Postby Narco » Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 am

toodus wrote:The only reason why the other group did not see a single habuk of a hammerhead is because my ex girlfriend was in that group.

You ex from the Mantanani dive you mean? hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#15  Postby clairvoyant » Wed May 16, 2012 11:34 pm

nice report!  ;)

I've been there last year in May after surcharge rate  :D . We spot HH few times and the best on the last days we find schooling 40-50 of them. For me LL is one of the best diving spot. We see lot big-big fish incl. School of Devil Ray, dogtooth tuna, Napoleon Wrasse, few type sharks and so many thing lah. Nice Giant Gorgonian Seafan also there.

I upload my photo trip in flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photose_horizon/sets/72157626859715492/
Last edited by clairvoyant on Wed May 16, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever the mind of Man can Conceive and Believe, It can Achieve!
You get what you want in this World by making it happen, not waiting for it to come to you!
clairvoyant
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby Narco » Thu May 17, 2012 8:52 am

Wah Mr. Clairvoyant, long time no see. LL is listed in the CNN Go top 50 dive sites in the world also. LL is at 31 and we only have two dive spots listed. LL is being described as ' The Wealthy Diver's Choice'.. hehe.. Definately not me.

Btw Mr. Clairvoyant, I cant seems to get access into the provided link. Have no idea why. It stated there 'Page Not Found'.
Last edited by Narco on Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#17  Postby toodus » Sat May 19, 2012 1:39 am

I already knew my ex and her group did not see the hammerheads throughout their stay in Lyg Lyg. But she still called me to gloat that she went to Lyg Lyg and had a good time. Here's how the conversation went :

Me    : How was it? Lyg Lyg and all
Ex    : Aaaa it was great.. I saw barracudas, wrasse, one eagle ray, huge puffer fish
Me    : Wow that's nice...
Ex      : Yeah I love Lyg Lyg...it was beautiful and all....I enjoyed it...
Me    : Did you see the hammerheads? Coz going to Lyg Lyg is all about the hammerheads...
Ex      : Unfortunately no....we  didn't see the hammmerheads
Me    : (In my heart - DRINKS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!)
Last edited by toodus on Sat May 19, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby clairvoyant » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Soory about the link!

I will embedded here...

Ok see this what they called it.... Hammer Dive  :D :D :D

[color=rgb(69, 85, 131)][font=Verdana][size=12px][/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]
View from top  Hammer Dive  :D :D :D

[/color]Image

HH

Picture is not good...

Devil Ray!

Diver and Seafan.

Coral Reef
[/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(69, 85, 131)][font=Verdana][/size][size=12px][/color]Not sure what species of ray
:D

Denise!
[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][/size][size=12px][/color]Nemo also ada!!!!

The called it Layang-Layang

Ok I try to put my flickr address or link but when preview before posting what i type is different
anyway try this link
http://flic.kr/ps/uXUiA
[/size][/font]
You get what you want in this World by making it happen, not waiting for it to come to you!
clairvoyant
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby reztitan » Tue May 22, 2012 9:12 am

wow.. clairvoyant..
Your saw darn a lot of hammers ..Nice pics.. I only get to see 2 and they were quite deep.
The single hammer you took izzit close to the clift?
Which site did you bump into them? Wrasse Strip or The Point?
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby zaff1984 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:14 pm

nice photos clairvoyant... mind to share your camera setup (strobe/lens)..? using Manual setting all the time especially white-balance?... I wonder my noobie S100 can produce same result or not.. heehe.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby clairvoyant » Tue May 22, 2012 6:18 pm

reztitan wrote:wow.. clairvoyant..
Your saw darn a lot of hammers ..Nice pics.. I only get to see 2 and they were quite deep.
The single hammer you took izzit close to the clift?
Which site did you bump into them? Wrasse Strip or The Point?

We manage to get HH 4 times. 3 times at Gorgonian Forest and last one Wrasse Strip.
clairvoyant
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby clairvoyant » Tue May 22, 2012 6:24 pm

zaff1984 wrote:nice photos clairvoyant... mind to share your camera setup (strobe/lens)..? using Manual setting all the time especially white-balance?... I wonder my noobie S100 can produce same result or not.. heehe.

On this trip - I'm using Nikon D700 fit in Nauticam Housing. For wide angle I used Nikkor FE 16mm & Nikkor 17-35 with 8" dome port. For macro shot I used Nikkor 105mm or 60mm with TC 1.4. additional subsee +10 for super macro. I use 2X Inon Z240 with optic cable. sometimes TTL and sometimes manual strobe power. White balance always auto and i shoot RAW.
clairvoyant
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby reztitan » Tue May 29, 2012 1:09 pm

http://youtu.be/hYgfhC16SfQ
My video of the hammerheads. Not as many as what clairvoyant had saw, but better than non... lol
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby blue hole » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Finally we see the video! Nice work, great sighting
blue hole
Diver
Diver

Return to Local Destinations