MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Similan LOB anyone?

Similan LOB anyone?

Trip reports, liveaboard reviews and questions about liveaboards.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies. (Can also be used for international liveaboards.)

Similan LOB anyone?

Post Number:#1  Postby Mabel & Yon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi, anyone with any advice on diving in Similan, off Phuket, on LOBs?

What are usual dive operator prices and does one normally have to stay the night in Phuket hotel to catch next day flight back to KL? Which hotel is reasonable if this is needed?

I am planning to go around CNY and would appreciate any advice, thanks!
Mabel & Yon
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: Similan LOB anyone?

Post Number:#2  Postby expressodupio » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:19 pm

bro...just got back from phuket. talked to some friends who owns DC there.. they say you could get a LOB to similan for as low as 150000 baht. thats around RM 1500 right? seems like everyone is undercutting each other there. so my suggestion is to give those guys a mail and get your quote. well..normally it would be a good idea to spend the last night in phuket before you fly back. you can get a good rest, wash your gears etc. haha, can party/chill out also in patong! :P
getting narc'ed is the highlight of my day.
expressodupio
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#3  Postby ApeQ » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:16 am

im currently working in koh phi phi, we can arrange similan trips. 4/3days 14dives for 21,000baht. rm2100...set?more info email cyberok@tm.net.my
ApeQ
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#4  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:47 pm

wah apek...monsoon in malaysia straight away go to thailand...i tot u would take a break in KL :smileinbox: :smileinbox:
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby expressodupio » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:51 pm

haha, season dia runs 365 days... cool..wish i can do that  :)
getting narc'ed is the highlight of my day.
expressodupio
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#6  Postby Mabel & Yon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 pm

expressodupio wrote:bro...just got back from phuket. talked to some friends who owns DC there.. they say you could get a LOB to similan for as low as 150000 baht. thats around RM 1500 right? seems like everyone is undercutting each other there. so my suggestion is to give those guys a mail and get your quote. well..normally it would be a good idea to spend the last night in phuket before you fly back. you can get a good rest, wash your gears etc. haha, can party/chill out also in patong! :P

Thanks for the advice!
Mabel & Yon
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby decimal86 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:09 pm

my wife and i going on 14th jan to 16th jan . will give a small write-up when we come back. i hear the season is in full swing now. must book early.

we are going with a singaporean who is a PR there. speaks fluent thai-wife is a local.

he has been in the biz for 11 years at chalong town-the place where most dive schools depart for their open water dive lessons. i can pm you the price if you want. and the itinerary.

and no, i am not related to him, just a satisfied customer. i went up in NOV to check out Racha Yai and it was beautiful. especially for photography.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#8  Postby ApeQ » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Holemasted...datang utk holiday in phiphi...but now sangkut keje sini...layannnn. ada sapa sapa nak ke pp..email me yeh...mauahaha.. :smileinbox:
ApeQ
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#9  Postby Mabel & Yon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:11 pm

decimal86 wrote:my wife and i going on 14th jan to 16th jan . will give a small write-up when we come back. i hear the season is in full swing now. must book early.

we are going with a singaporean who is a PR there. speaks fluent thai-wife is a local.

he has been in the biz for 11 years at chalong town-the place where most dive schools depart for their open water dive lessons. i can pm you the price if you want. and the itinerary.

and no, i am not related to him, just a satisfied customer. i went up in NOV to check out Racha Yai and it was beautiful. especially for photography.

Yes, please, thank you! B-)
Mabel & Yon
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby Quero » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm a little late to the party for this thread  :icon_tongue: but if you need any help with finding a liveaboard here just let me know. I'm a former KL-ite, but now run a dive op from Phuket (and have had lots of happy Malaysian clients).

I think there is some misconception about the prices offered. THB 15,000 for a liveaboard is possible, but it won't be a standard 4d/4n trip that goes up to Richelieu Rock (the top dive site). Maybe a three-day trip with a last minute price might come in at that amount. Prices all depend on
  • how many day for the trip/how many dives
  • how many divers on the boat/ensuite heads or not/aircon or not, etc.
  • if a last-minute price has been announced (usually just a week before the sailing date)

I think I would disagree with the statement by expressoduplo that ops here are undercutting one another. There aren't any price wars, just normal competition. Prices have remained stable since they were announced by the ops before the current liveaboard season began. Last-minute deals have always been offered to fill up a mostly-full boat. Of course, with that sort of deal, you have to take what is available, which might be the worst cabins in one boat or the most expensive ones in another!
Last edited by Quero on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Post Number:#11  Postby Mabel & Yon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:36 am

Quero wrote:I'm a little late to the party for this thread  :icon_tongue: but if you need any help with finding a liveaboard here just let me know. I'm a former KL-ite, but now run a dive op from Phuket (and have had lots of happy Malaysian clients).

I think there is some misconception about the prices offered. THB 15,000 for a liveaboard is possible, but it won't be a standard 4d/4n trip that goes up to Richelieu Rock (the top dive site). Maybe a three-day trip with a last minute price might come in at that amount. Prices all depend on
  • if a last-minute price has been announced (usually just a week before the sailing date)

I think I would disagree with the statement by expressoduplo that ops here are undercutting one another. There aren't any price wars, just normal competition. Prices have remained stable since they were announced by the ops before the current liveaboard season began. Last-minute deals have always been offered to fill up a mostly-full boat. Of course, with that sort of deal, you have to take what is available, which might be the worst cabins in one boat or the most expensive ones in another!

Thanks, Quero, Expressoduplo and Decimal86.
I went with 19 other divers to Similans-Surin Islands on PP Harmony and had a great time with mantas and a whale shark. Logged 14 dives on a 4D/4N and has come back with many happy memories of the trip. :)
Mabel & Yon
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby Quero » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:24 pm

Mabel & Yon wrote:
Quero wrote:I'm a little late to the party for this thread  :icon_tongue: but if you need any help with finding a liveaboard here just let me know. I'm a former KL-ite, but now run a dive op from Phuket (and have had lots of happy Malaysian clients).

Thanks, Quero, Expressoduplo and Decimal86.
I went with 19 other divers to Similans-Surin Islands on PP Harmony and had a great time with mantas and a whale shark. Logged 14 dives on a 4D/4N and has come back with many happy memories of the trip. :)

Good to hear you enjoyed your trip! Was it a charter you were on or a join-in trip? PP Harmony is a boat that tends to take low-end charters, so it's great to read positive reviews!
Quero
SAWADIKAP
SAWADIKAP

Return to Live-onboards