MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Jarak Jokers - 2nd thru 4th Feb 2007

Jarak Jokers - 2nd thru 4th Feb 2007

Trip reports, liveaboard reviews and questions about liveaboards.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies. (Can also be used for international liveaboards.)

Jarak Jokers - 2nd thru 4th Feb 2007

Post Number:#1  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:38 am

Yeah, it started of with someone wanting to dive badly, asked me to book his seat on the Kaleebso, then failed to obtain leave on Saturday. So my victim was Nazir4321 who willingly agreed for his pocket to be slaughtered. Not only was he willing but he also got someone to be sacrificed along with him...his friend Ruzman.

Then another group of MUW divers, one of which is both technical and commercial, decided to use the Bukit Beruntung way to get to Tanjung Karang. I personally don't know how possible that is except if he went through FELDA Suharto after exiting Tanjung Malim and go through Batang Berjuntai. Anyway, that was the technical side of him. On the commercial side of him, he decided to get rendang and lemang for all guests on the Kaleebso as an excuse for being late.

Kaleebso departed Bagan Pasir around 8.30pm and it was a full moon night.  There were only 10 divers on board so it was a peaceful and relaxing trip. No one fighting over MP3 player and DVD player, and a lot of water for everyone to use. Best of all, that was 5 persons to a toilet instead of 11. She arrived at Moray's Harem early the next morning.  Wind was strong. First dive was there at Moray's Harem. I led Nazir4321 and Ruzman. It was dark underwater as the sky was overcast. The resident Batfish, the Honeycomb and Leopard and White-Eyed morays, as well as th Conger Eels were all missing.  It seemed as if our very own COMRADE had paid a visit there a few days earlier. ;D >:(  But the presence of huge Blue Fin Trevallies that weren't shy at all and some Red-Toothed Triggerfish saved that dive.  Anyway, it was a good opportunity for both Nazir4321 and I to do UW photo and video shoots, while Ruzman practises his diving.

We surfaced finding the Kaleebso missing and waves high...with whitecaps and all.  I turned around to look at the island and t confirm that I had not strayed away from the dive site.  It turned out that the Kaleebso had to rescue two other MUW divers who went to do technical and commercial diving, and the person leading them went missing.  There was a second dive but at Snappers Den, but none of the MUW divers went down as they were busy promoting this forum to some very sea-sick divers.  Lunch was good.  After lunch was our second dive (it really was Dive #3 for the trip).  Viz was good for Jarak...around 10 meters. That, and the water temperature however changed drastically when there was thermocline and a gentle drift (about 1 knot). Water temperature dropped to 26C.  The tender towed us back to the Kaleebso.  I don't think anyone did Dive #4, and the Kaleebso repositioned at Moray's Harem when the winds picked up. Good photo op for sunset.

Night dive was at Moray's Harem...lots of things came out to feed: juvenile lobsters, banded shrimps, one Puffer got kidnapped for a photo shoot..lots of Scorpionfishes.  It was somewhat interesting, more interesting than the last night dive I did there.  While the rest retired early, Snafu, myself and Sukdev Singh (soon-to-be MUW member) chatted till late.

Morning, the Kaleebso positioned herself at North Point. Photographers had a good time shooting the sunrise. Diving on the eastern side of North Point wasn't as interesting as the western side during the last dive. Lots and lots of huge Blue Fin Trevallies, shy Titan Triggerfishes, huge Blue-Ringed Angelfishes, some fishes that I have yet to identify.  Good photo op and the last dive was blessed with good viz by Jarak standard - 15 meters.

Trip back was uneventful except for two occassions...no, make that three: 1) when a pod of about 6 dolphins jumped and played near the Kaleebso; 2) an Indonesian boat came close astern; and 3) the steamboat, sashimi, sushi and wantan dinner.

In all, it was a good trip, and I love the small number of divers on board.  One thing that we all agreed upon during that trip: no spearfishing near reefs and islands, and shoot only what you want to eat.  So it was good being on an LOB trip minus the sound of spearguns going off or seeing 2,529 speared fishes on the dinner table.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Re: Jarak Jokers - 2nd thru 4th Feb 2007

Post Number:#2  Postby nazir4321 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:40 am

Agree.. another great dive trip i ever done. Lots of fishes.. superb food.. and new thing to learn from Sifooo..

now im getting the SMB  ;D ;D
nazir4321

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby sukdev » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:10 am

leave me no choice but to agree with the rest that the recent jarak trip was indeed good (else i'll be threaten with my car being burnt down to ashes - again)
Btw, recalling the morning dive, i beg to correct the statement made by seademon that the person leading the dive went missing, actual fact, both the technical AND commercial diver eventually took over the guiding and left the poor person leading the dive behind. hence missing (guide).
Off the record, if Ros The Man is reading this, im still waiting for your resume lah, if Nazir4321 can do him a reminder call, would appreaciate that very much, owe you one.
Insyallah, we shall again meet in the near future.
sukdev

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby HollowMan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 am

SD bro ,

As usual great report  :) looking forward to the photos ..
HollowMan

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby HoleMaster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:54 am

yup where are the photos?
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby ironore » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:19 pm

missed my chance going night diving.. aiyaa...
ironore

Topic author

Re: Jarak Jauh - 2nd thru 4th Feb 2007

Post Number:#7  Postby anas » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:38 pm

My trip to Jarak started a day before—Thaipusam/KL Day. Was supposed to take the better half to Cameron on the weekend; but I ‘need’ to get to Jarak also. Didn’t know how to tell her about my Jarak last-minute plan. Luckily Thaipusam/KL Day budged in. Switched the Cameron trip earlier and go to Jarak on the weekend. Phew! Sugar coat worked well…As I was coming back from Cameron Highlands. Saw the one of those road-signs (exit) to Tg Karang. It could be one of those signs made by Comrade. Okaylah, end of foreshadowing.

Hollowman was nice enough to pick me up from home and delivered me to Snafu’s house. Hollowman also another. He couldn’t go due to his other prior engagement. Yes engagement! He probably felt guilty and I am glad to bring him to his guilt trip. Heh heh.

We left Snafu’s palace towards the PLUS highway. Snafu drove his exotic car. He joked about Kuala Besut instead of Kuala Selangor several times. As for me, Perhentian is doable too; as long as he drives.

From his house en-route to Tg Karang, I mentioned to him, when he was about to turn into Sg. Buloh exit, that there’s a faster way if we take another exit… yeah, the exit which I saw a day before (during Cameron trip)—Tg Karang exit. So we passed Sg. Buloh, then passed Rawang, then passed Batang Berjuntai exits.. No sign saying Tg Karang. My male sweat (peluh jantan) came out already. You know lah, Snafu is so garang. But Snafu still manage to contain his macho. I called Spazm. Recalled some of his experience in getting to Kaleebso before. He mentioned to take Batang Berjuntai—which we missed earlier.

Then we took Bkt Beruntung exit so as to make a u-turn. Snafu asked the lady toll collector, she mumbled and didn’t give a concise answer on which is faster way to get to Tg Karang. Women and directions just don’t really mix. Heh heh.. ;-)

We then turned to Bukit Beruntung township, saw a stall selling fruits and lemang. Snafu stopped his car—asked me to go and buy lemang and ask for directions. He said, if we didn’t get in time, we still can eat lemang on our way to Kuala Besut. Again, he said Kuala Besut.

Anyway, we took Batang Berjuntai way, then towards Tg Karang. Finally reached at the same time with the Kaleebso DM, Mr Sukdev. Phew! At least we didn’t get the scolding from the captain was eagerly awaiting for us to beat the low tide.

The 10-hour journey started under a glimmering light of a full moon. So full of a moon that I almost transformed myself into a werewolf. A vegetarian werewolf. But then again I am only a diver. And the lemang, was the best lemang in Selangor. Wow! As for its rendang, I was not able to tell as I passed over the meat.

Some pics for your enjoyments...

The Lemangs

Me looking for some food in the pot

Snafu in action

I was instructed to do a part time modelling..

..you know why? because there's not much sexy fish to shoot.

...to be continued....
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby GOD » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:41 pm

The dive plan was to drift ... I just followed Mr. Sukdev's, it was a wonderful dives.

As for pic. soon!!!

;D

Sheik .... thanks for the pic.
Last edited by GOD on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby spazm » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:37 pm

Ohh...sesat already baru nak call gua..:P...anyway...glad that u make it there in time..:)

well..actually u should have called SD...he will be a better person in giving directions than me..heh heh..:)
spazm

Topic author

Re: Jarak Jauh - 2nd thru 4th Feb 2007

Post Number:#10  Postby anas » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:32 pm

Ohh...sesat already baru nak call gua..:P...anyway...glad that u make it there in time..:)

well..actually u should have called SD...he will be a better person in giving directions than me..heh heh..:)

Not that 'sesat' bro... it was more looking for better alternatives than wading thru the Sg Buloh traffic. Plus it was like 1815 hrs when we left home.
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby spazm » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:42 pm

haha..it can get quite jam in Sg.Buloh..i agree...when i took it to go tg.karang thaht time..spent half hour stuck in jam...:)

look on the bright side..u had lemang and rendang to eat... I only had Mary's yummy nasi lemak..heh heh..:)
Last edited by Spazm on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spazm

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby GOD » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:50 pm

We are supposed to meet-up with Sukdev somewhere in somewhere so decided to follow Sheik's newest route, pass all the exit that would get us faster to meet-up area ....  :D

Ended up being late but not that late, Sukdev was late too ... so we dont feel that bad after all...BTW Sukdev is the resident DM on Kaleebso.

The lemang was good, thought of playing 1 round of golf too...lucky did not bring golf set.

As for this trip, Sheik's is the underwater model for me to shoot... so he had to do some posing for me underwater, he is good..so natural & highly recommended for free model.

I manage to do 3 dives during this trip, is good coz manage to do chatching-up with SeaDemon & get to know more friends ... had wonderful time onboard.

BTW....should see Sheik's onboard, seasick like a baby  ::) underwater he ruleZzzzZZzzzzz.

Jarak viz as usual... not good & kinda quiet down there, less marine life then usual or shall I say from the last time I was there  :( Hope Jarak will recover ASAP.

Am still trying to post some pic but forgot how to do it ... will leave it to Sheik  ;) Thanks Bro.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby nazir4321 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:17 pm

;D  experiment myself with BW shoot. but sifu nyer shoot was superb. heheh usefull tips. next trip try to implement.  :D

nazir4321

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby evo5555 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:30 pm

We are supposed to meet-up with Sukdev somewhere in somewhere so decided to follow Sheik's newest route, pass all the exit that would get us faster to meet-up area ....  :D

Ended up being late but not that late, Sukdev was late too ... so we dont feel that bad after all...BTW Sukdev is the resident DM on Kaleebso.

The lemang was good, thought of playing 1 round of golf too...lucky did not bring golf set.

As for this trip, Sheik's is the underwater model for me to shoot... so he had to do some posing for me underwater, he is good..so natural & highly recommended for free model.

I manage to do 3 dives during this trip, is good coz manage to do chatching-up with SeaDemon & get to know more friends ... had wonderful time onboard.

BTW....should see Sheik's onboard, seasick like a baby  ::) underwater he ruleZzzzZZzzzzz.

Jarak viz as usual... not good & kinda quiet down there, less marine life then usual or shall I say from the last time I was there  :( Hope Jarak will recover ASAP.

Am still trying to post some pic but forgot how to do it ... will leave it to Sheik  ;) Thanks Bro.

;D

aih bro...when u are around, i figure out that alwayss ure always in "wrong" routes.hehehe..kan bro?hehe
Last edited by evo5555 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evo5555

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:41 pm

Some pics lah....

15th Lunar Night on the way out to sea

Mary preparing breakfast while a seasick Sheik tries to chow down

Nazir4321 at Moray's Harem

Newbie Ruzman at Moray's Harem
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:47 pm

more pics...

Sorry, but I had too much egg sambal the night before...

Surfacing in heavy swells...HELP!

Kaleebso to the rescue

Here comes the cavalry!
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 pm

yet more pics...

Sunset at Moray's Harem

Halt! Who goes there?

Bunk mates...

Little red-eyed guy...

Snafu, the guy with the deformed legs, surfacing after night dive
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:56 pm

yes..more pics...

Three Ass (S)...SeaDemon, Sukdev and Snafu

Sunrise at North Point

Morning dive at North Point

Straight out of Lord Of The Ring
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

yes..some more pics...

Stairway to Heaven

"And let there be light!"

Sheik doing a Quasimodo impersonation

I told you corals are living organisms...they breathe!
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:04 am

White-Barbed Reef Goby (Amblygobius phalaena)

Skunk Anemonefish (Amphiprion akallopisos)

Collared Butterflyfish (Chaetodon collare)

Two-spot Snapper (Lutjanus biguttatus)

Bluefin Trevally (Caranx melampygus)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:10 am

Leaving Jarak

Ricky at the helm

Goin' fishin'

Indonesian coastal trader

Jarak from Moray's Harem
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:11 am

For more pics, you can go to the Jarak Gallery:

[highlight]http://www.narcaholic.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=49[/highlight]
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby bijan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:08 am

thanks for the report and pictures SD, glad u guys had a good time..
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:11 am

Good company...good dives...good buddies...good food...definitely ;)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby bottle » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:57 am

good good good... looking forward for more...
bottle

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby nazimkecik » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:26 am

let the good times roll!!  ;D
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby anas » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:32 pm

a bit more pics.. (pls click on the pic if you want to see them bigger size)

a puffer fish... that's what it's called. photo taken by snafu during a night dive.

they just sit still when i approached them (it was quiet and i was alone)

this guy got me a little startled. i was trying to focus on the coral, then he raised his fins, really did not notice him sitting there.

kaleebso's crew meticulously lilned up our sandals before departing from the boat. thanks!

one of the tourist attractions came together with us... from japan.

i was actually trying (in vain) to chase after the moorish idol, then this angel showed up in front instead... stealing the show

albino anemone?

seademon's air leaks...

and lastly....

my supposedly buddy....

Last edited by anas on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby nazir4321 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:05 pm

a bit from myself

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
nazir4321

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby nazir4321 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:09 pm

and..

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

;D ;D ;D
nazir4321

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:32 am

Wah..that looks like the air's coming out from the base of the valve's neck! :-/
SeaDemon

Topic author

Next

Return to Live-onboards