MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - LOB Pulau Payar & Langkawi - M/S Orient Explorer

LOB Pulau Payar & Langkawi - M/S Orient Explorer

Trip reports, liveaboard reviews and questions about liveaboards.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies. (Can also be used for international liveaboards.)

LOB Pulau Payar & Langkawi - M/S Orient Explorer

Post Number:#1  Postby jade » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:59 pm

Come and join eSHARK Scuba for an opportunity of a dive-lifetime aboard the M/S Orient Explorer! Details of our LOB as follows:

DATES:    5 - 7 Jan 2007 (3D2N)
DIVE LOCATIONS:    Pulay Payar and Langkawi waters
LOB VESSEL:    M/S Orient Explorer (full board)
MEETING POINT:    Kuah Jetty (Ferry Terminal) on morning of 5 Jan (Friday)

The M/S Orient Explorer is a 60mx10m vessel with 47 twin/triple air-cond cabins. She can accommodate up to 80 pax in a single journey but we are limiting 50 seats only for divers. She is also equipped with:
- 2 x 32ft boat, with 85hp OBM
- 2 x 32ft rescue boat, with inboard diesel engine
- 1 x 12ft dinghy, with 15hp OBM
- 3 compressors which can refill 50 tanks in 10 minutes
- 10 x 500l cylinder (for direct air diving)

There will be 5 Instructors & 5 Divemasters on board - both foreign & local. All divers will be divided into groups of 6 or 7, and 1 Instructor/DM will be assigned to each group. Divers will choose their own group on board and will remain in this chosen group throughout the trip. At any one diving time, 25 divers will go on 4 different boats to 4 different dive locations (max dive time of 45 mins). These boats will then come back and pick up the next group of 25 divers. Essentially there will be 2 diving shifts. Example:

Day 1 - Shift A (25 divers) will do the 1st dive at 8am, followed by Shift B (25 divers) at 9am, Shift A again at 11 am, etc
Day 2 - Shift B will do the 1st dive at 8am, followed by Shift A at 9am, etc
Day 3 - Shift A will do the 1st dive at 8am, followed by Shift B at 9am, etc

This trip is offered at an introductory price and future trips will reflect the normal rate. Depending on response, we will also schedule a trip to the Tarutao National Marine Park during the CNY holidays (16 - 19 Feb 07). This 4D3N trip will cover Koh Tarutao, Koh Adang, Koh Lipe and Koh Rawi. Details of this trip will be announced in January

For enquiries or to register, pls e-mail to dive@esharkscuba.com / captben@esharkscuba.com or call 013 - 233 3261 (Capt Ishak) / 013 - 380 1331 (Capt Ben). Pls RSVP by 29 Dec.

See you on board!
jade
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: LOB Pulau Payar & Langkawi - M/S Orient Explor

Post Number:#2  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:48 pm

That's a lot of divers for Payar
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby Spazm » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:52 pm

I can imagine....all line up...and walk the plank..:P one by one go down  8-)..now that will be sight to behold

Sorry yek organiser..just can't imagine being on a boat with 50 other ppl...I have diver-phobias.. :-[
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby whitejade » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:22 pm

Hi Jade.... I'm on. I'll register at the shop then.
Hei Spazm... apalah lu sengal sangat....  jangan la ingat trip yang kau pernah pergi je. Bayangan kau tu tak berasas tau. Trip ni diorganise oleh profesional people. Kapal pun dah cukup menunjukkan profesional nya diorg. Buka lah minda anda yang tersangat Sengal itu.
whitejade

Post Number:#5  Postby sheik » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:49 pm

Hi Jade.... I'm on. I'll register at the shop then.
Hei Spazm... apalah lu sengal sangat....  jangan la ingat trip yang kau pernah pergi je. Bayangan kau tu tak berasas tau. Trip ni diorganise oleh profesional people. Kapal pun dah cukup menunjukkan profesional nya diorg. Buka lah minda anda yang tersangat Sengal itu.

Whitejade:
Please introduce yourself at the intro section. It is more proper to and takut jadi sengal jugak bila tak ada intro. Thanks.
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#6  Postby Spazm » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:48 am

whitejade,

apalah yang sengal sangat pasal otak gua??
takdepun kat mana-mana ada saya kata organiser tak professional...?? takde pun kat mana mana saya compare ngan trip lain??..

memang hak "asas"i saya nak gi trip sorang sorang ke..nak join trip ngan 50 divers yang lain..

kalo tak suka komen saya..boleh gi ngomplen kat moderator yea... 8-)

"PUT A SOCKET TO THE PUPPET"!!..:)
Last edited by Spazm on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby bijan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:02 am

whitejade,

kalau trip tuh x diorganize by professional ppl, orang aper lg yg organize?? u saying that the trips we have here organize by us are UNprofessional ppl???

hehe..50 divers..nih tgk ikan ke..tgk orang nih?

dah lar 1st post..tau2 dah nak flame org...dah lar nama nak sama dah..admin, pls check IP adress of whitejade and jade..
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby jade » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:10 pm

:o who the heck is this whitediver?
the thread of this discussion is getting waaaaayyy out of topic. i hv no idea who this guy/gal is ok and in no way am i associated with this person

i agree with spazm & bijan - everyone's entitled to their opinion and we dont hv to resort to calling ppl names  :(
everybody has their own preferred dive group and operators and we're not forcing anybody to join us on the payar lob trip

to those who are keen to experience diving on board the m/s orient explorer, you can still reserve your seats at dive@esharkscuba.com or jade@esharkscuba.com. to those who do not like the 'potential crowd', it's OK... hopefully we'll see you in other trips suited for smaller dive groups

2006 is coming to an end soon... let's just open a new chapter and pray that 2007 presents better diving opportunities for everyone
jade
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby OziDiver » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:56 pm

I see a lot of resentment about the introduction of this new LOB not only on this forum but on other forums as well. As a consumer I welcome new operators/LOBs, it gives us more choices to choose from and hopefully more bargaining power. I personally on the other hand do not like diving with a huge crowd, but that is just my preference. Wishing M/S Orient Express all the best in their future undertakings!  ::)
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OziDiver
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby dp » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:36 pm

I see a lot of resentment about the introduction of this new LOB not only on this forum but on other forums as well. As a consumer I welcome new operators/LOBs, it gives us more choices to choose from and hopefully more bargaining power. I personally on the other hand do not like diving with a huge crowd, but that is just my preference. Wishing M/S Orient Express all the best in their future undertakings!  ::)

Well said, bro.

But i have had a rather different reaction from my diver frens when i asked them to ikut me on this trip - they were more put off by the green waters and low vis, rather than the 50 divers.

heheh.

i too, share a dislike of diving with a huge crowd. However, having read the itinerary where they will have 2 shifts of 25 divers, who will then be taken out on 4 smaller boats, m willing to give it a go.

If not to supress the craving to breathe compressed air, it would be for the experience.

(tho i think it was the former that had greater influence)  

RM650 is quite decent for a 3D2N LOB

Enjoy Sipadan, bro.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#11  Postby flying tapir » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:19 pm

2 many trips..im confused..which 2 join..if i have all the time in the world..i will do all the trips... ;D..err..chill out bro's theres no need such arguements in here..heheheh, everybody say cheese!!!! ;D
<><> diving is divine..diving is prayer..
flying tapir
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby dp » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:42 pm

2 many trips..im confused..which 2 join..if i have all the time in the world..i will do all the trips... ;D..err..chill out bro's theres no need such arguements in here..heheheh, everybody say cheese!!!! ;D

..constant arguements will only make us all older.

;D ;D ;D
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#13  Postby OziDiver » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:59 pm

Looking forward to some on deck pics and review about this LOB! have a good time bro!  ;)

i too, share a dislike of diving with a huge crowd. However, having read the itinerary where they will have 2 shifts of 25 divers, who will then be taken out on 4 smaller boats, m willing to give it a go.

If not to supress the craving to breathe compressed air, it would be for the experience.

Enjoy Sipadan, bro.

OziDiver
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby dp » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:13 pm

aiyo..

another trip report to write ar?

kekeke

no problem bro.. question is when i will get around to posting it la.  ;D

Looking forward to some on deck pics and review about this LOB! have a good time bro!  ;)

Enjoy Sipadan, bro.

dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#15  Postby HoleMaster » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:43 am

Well said, bro.

But i have had a rather different reaction from my diver frens when i asked them to ikut me on this trip - they were more put off by the green waters and low vis, rather than the 50 divers.

heheh.

Enjoy Sipadan, bro.

Deeblu,

There's no harm of trying out that LOB, like i said in previous thread (Pulau Payar) if u are craving for compressed air just go ahead. The vis depends on ur luck. Luckily for me everytime i go there vis is between 15m to 20m and how often do u experience "green" water? Another thing you'd be awed with HUGE fishes, everything there are BIG. RM650 for 3D2N is pretty cheap considering that East Marine charges RM250 for 2 dives a day. Hope you'll have fun and post ur report. Cheers!
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#16  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:42 pm

Personally, I don't mind bad viz. To me, there's no such thing as a bad dive site: there are only bad divers. Looking and reading through the whole thing and digesting everything using my otak sengal, I find whitejade's comment as being uncalled for. I agree with Spazm that it's the customer's money, therefore it's the customer's choice.  If organiser professionalism is being rated by the vessel being used, then I have this to say: most of the ships that were in existence during World War Two are either museum-piece like the HMS Belfast, USS Missouri, USS Ohio, USS Batfish etc, or they are the objects of divers' curiosity ie. HMS Repulse, HMS Prince of Wales, HMS Banka, Gyoshin Maru, IJN Kuma, HMS Thanet, HMS Hermes etc., etc.

For the owners and operators of the M/S Orient Explorer, and her agents, I bid them Godspeed and Good Luck and Well-Wishes for all their undertakings.

That's from one sengal otak.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#17  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:48 pm

..constant arguements will only make us all older.

;D ;D ;D

I'm already old. And someone in one other forum wanted to test my patience. Lucky for him I have none, so it cannot be tested.

Anyway, if you are craving to breathe compressed air, let's dive PD in January.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#18  Postby dp » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:56 pm

..The vis depends on ur luck. Luckily for me everytime i go there vis is between 15m to 20m and how often do u experience "green" water? Another thing you'd be awed with HUGE fishes, everything there are BIG. RM650 for 3D2N is pretty cheap considering that East Marine charges RM250 for 2 dives a day. Hope you'll have fun and post ur report. Cheers!

M praying very very hard that my luck will be as good as yours when m in payar, bro.

And yes, RM650 is a darn good price for an el-cheapo diver like me!

;D ;D ;D
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#19  Postby sheik » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:44 pm

..The vis depends on ur luck. Luckily for me everytime i go there vis is between 15m to 20m and how often do u experience "green" water? Another thing you'd be awed with HUGE fishes, everything there are BIG. RM650 for 3D2N is pretty cheap considering that East Marine charges RM250 for 2 dives a day. Hope you'll have fun and post ur report. Cheers!

M praying very very hard that my luck will be as good as yours when m in payar, bro.

And yes, RM650 is a darn good price for an el-cheapo diver like me!

;D ;D ;D

rm650 is good. Hope u will enjoy it, and make sure we get to see pics and read ur wonderful report.

there's 1 big white 'mutha garoupa' residing near the wrecks. Say hi to her... :)
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#20  Postby addiekml » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:11 pm

alo
addiekml
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby LaraCroft » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:42 pm

alo

Alo to you too addiekml..

Kindly introduce urself in the introduction thread. Welcome to MUW.

Cheers!
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Re: LOB Pulau Payar & Langkawi - M/S Orient Explorer

Post Number:#22  Postby Scorpenesub » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:44 am

Hi everyone,

Jus a curious rookie who is keen to find out whether M/S Orient Explorer  is permanently stationed in Langkawi. Also, is MUW or any one organising anything on the great ship for 2008? And have the operators of the M/S Orient Explorer kept to the RM650 price?

Thanks for the feedback.
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#23  Postby wolfus » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:15 pm

as a person who works in langkawi...i always wondered what was the purpose of the big white ship "ms orient explorer".... now i know what it is...however im curious as to where are the other dive sites in langkawi waters....would appreciate if someone could enlighten me....thanks...
......diving wolf......suffering from diving addiction......
wolfus
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby ikan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:07 pm

If i am not mistaken, the orient explorer does not just dive the langkawi archipelago but is also plying the dive sites of Koh Lipe, Koh Lanta and the area within ... am not too sure about this though
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#25  Postby dp » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:53 pm

eh? this big, white ship is still in malaysian waters, meh?
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#26  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:50 pm

wolfus wrote:as a person who works in langkawi...i always wondered what was the purpose of the big white ship "ms orient explorer".... now i know what it is...however im curious as to where are the other dive sites in langkawi waters....would appreciate if someone could enlighten me....thanks...

Wolfus...if you have your own tank, beneath the Teluk Bujur jetty on Pulau Tuba can be quite nice actually as long as you don't complain about viz. Just watch out for fishing lines and hooks.  Don't dive near the reefs of Pulau Pasir...sometimes police patrol boats roam that area as drug runners from Aceh dump their stuff there.  :D :D :D :D :D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#27  Postby Nitrogen addict » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:34 am

wah they dump their illegal goods there??? errr  can we go and get the goods out or not.... like the movie "into the blue" so who want to be jessica alba?? dive in bikini?
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#28  Postby dp » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:06 am

Nitrogen addict wrote: so who want to be jessica alba?? dive in bikini?

can i?

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#29  Postby wolfus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:16 pm

we tried Pulau Dangli the other day...together with Zani and Cuckoo Diver.... the viz was bad... this was due to heavy silting... there are some soft corals starting back... i was told the silting was because of the charcoal factory that was once operating in the mangroves...however i might consider the pulau tuba site... .thanks lah uncle benny...
......diving wolf......suffering from diving addiction......
wolfus
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#30  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:34 pm

wolfus wrote: we tried Pulau Dangli the other day...together with Zani and Cuckoo Diver.... the viz was bad... this was due to heavy silting... there are some soft corals starting back... i was told the silting was because of the charcoal factory that was once operating in the mangroves...however i might consider the pulau tuba site... .thanks lah uncle benny...

I think can la. Let's dive there together one day.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Live-onboards