MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Kaleebso Pulau Sembilan Karaoke & Dive 7 - 9 December 2007

Kaleebso Pulau Sembilan Karaoke & Dive 7 - 9 December 2007

Trip reports, liveaboard reviews and questions about liveaboards.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies. (Can also be used for international liveaboards.)

Kaleebso Pulau Sembilan Karaoke & Dive 7 - 9 December 2007

Post Number:#1  Postby avidiver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:23 am

I've been appointed (hehehe....nicer word to use) as the report writer for this trip by SeaDemon........  but unfortunately I do not have an underwater camera yet.........got camera but no casing for my dino  :P  I'll leave it to the rest of the photographer to post their photos.  I'd try to figure out the way to post some of the topside photos that I've taken after downloading  :)

The much awaited LOB was finally here................it all started on the night of 7th December 2007......

7 December 2007
The meeting point was along the Klang Bound Kesas Highway just after the Summit junction at 7.00pm... but I was already there slightly earlier..... around 6.50pm,  waiting in the car whilst waiting for other car to arrive.... next came SeaDemon's MPV and finally NajibBest & TimYang arrives around 7.40pm after getting off the crazy KL traffic and making some wrong turns at Kesas  B-)

Thereafter,  all 3 cars did convoy to Hutan Melintang jetty lead by SeaDemon..... stopping near Elmina along Guthrie Highway for some light dinner...which happens to be Haji Samuri Kajang Sate....kekeke...and some me rebus for some.  Although SeaDemon wasn't feeling 100% well as he was down with fever,  he still managed to drive and some point of time, I thought I was in the F1 track for certain parts of the road :p  We arrived safely at the jetty before 11pm.

Going onboard Kaleebso,  fragrant Nasi Lemak were already waiting to great us and there were several other friends who arrives earlier were already onboard.  First thing to do was to surrender our slippers to the crew as it was put aside and we were practically "kaki ayam" for the rest of our stay in Kaleebso.  I was already  starting to have the feeling of "sea-sickeness" this being my first LOB,  but TimYang who have been to Kaleebso before advise me to set up our diving equipment first as the dive bag will be put aside.  Everyone did that and after completing,  most of the group already started to have karaoke session while I badly need to get myself on the bed so that I can try to sleep off the sea sickness feeling. 

8 December 2007
The vessel arrives at Pulau Sembilan on the early morning around 7am after departing from Hutan Melintang jetty only around 3am the night before.  I woke up feeling with really heavy head due to sea-sick,  and the boat was rocking from left to right,  vice versa........ after cleaning up,  went up to the dining deck where Mary has already prepared some delicious breakkie,  but I didn't have the appetite for any food then....and also starring at the current movement from the topdeck,  I thought to myself....... what have I gotten myself into!!  But the rest of the divers seems to be ready to tuck in the breakfast and jump in for the first dive of the morning.

First Dive:  8.24am
Max. Depth achieved: 15.9M
Temperature: 29C
Viz: 0M

SeaDemon tested the current with a line and we can immediately see the line being "pulled" straight ahead vertically........indication of pretty strong current on that morning.... I was hesitant to be the first diver to enter the water.  Our champion first group of divers to go were Dr. Bones and 5 other divers who successfully did back roll entry into the water and seemed to have descended without any problem.  Next, it was our turn,  SeaDemon, TimYang, NajibBest, DragonFly and myself.....we did backroll too and descended into "murky" and green waters.  As we descended deeper,  the environment just become so dark and murky that we could not see each other at all even with torch,  viz was down to almost zero and before I knew it,  I could not see SeaDemon and TimYang anymore,  I could vaguely see Najib, but lost him along the way too. Me and buddy normally never hold hands when diving,  but this time, I did hold his hand to make sure that we don't lost each other ........ after doing a search of not more than 2 minutes and being carried by the current where I actually hit onto some rock (I think),  my buddy and I decide to terminate the dive due to the poor viz and strong current.  We deployed our SMB at 5M and surface within 19 minutes of dive time........so far, the shortest dive for me and buddy.
Last edited by avidiver on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Re: Kaleebso Pulau Sembilan Karaoke & Dive 7 - 9 December 2007

Post Number:#2  Postby avidiver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:23 am

2nd Dive:  9.50am
Max. Depth achieved: 15.4M
Temperature: 30C
Viz: 1M - 4M

The Captain steered the boat to the North of the island,  some underwater current were noted.  We attempted our 2nd dive here,  this time,  I went with Captain Khay Lee who brought me and buddy down.  Due to some improvement of Visibililty,  we could continue the dive,  saw a large barracuda, 2 scorpion fish and a blue spotted stingray.  There were also abundance of juvenile reef fishes.  Half way through the dive,  I lost my buddy as the viz suddenly turn bad,  I was with Capt Khay Lee and signal to him that I lost my buddy.  I used the underwater horn which I bought from Scubatex, and put it in good use to allert my buddy,  Capt. use the shaker to make some noise and after around 2 minutes of search,  buddy and me were finally reunited and we continued our dive for 41 minutes without any successful spotting of seahorse.

After 2 dives,  my sea-sickness was getting from bad to worse,  I was vomiting until nothing comes out and I think I already "feed the fish" for more than 6 times from 7am until after my 2nd dive.  I told SeaDemon I'm taking the pills and giving up diving already........so, I took my bath and went to bed around 11.30am whilst others continued with their dives....maybe Bones, TimYang, Najib or SeaDemon could fill in the dives report here :)

3rd Dive: 4:32pm
Max. Depth achieved: 19.3M
Viz: 1M - 3M

I woke up around 2pm feeling much better,  feeling hungry and ready for some food.  To my delight,  Mary had prepared some yumylicious seafood porridge with fresh clams and crab.  There were also salmon sashimi, noodles, crab with cheese......and many more.  I had some porridge and fruits and upon hearing good news from Dr. Bones and group that they found sea horses I quickly forgotten about sea-sickness and could'nt resist of not going for another dive again, so off I went, quickly gear up and am ready for dive :)

Capt Khay Lee lead the dive with a total of 5 divers,  and after searching for more than 20 minutes,  we found an orange colour seahorse!!!!  We also spotted a large crab hiding underneath some rocks,  a long pipe fish and lizard fish and other normal coral fishes.  There were also quite a number of giant barrel sponges, some soft corals which looks like sunflower and hard corals which are green in colour,  where we normally found seahorses.

I end my day 1 onboard Kaleebso with only 3 dives as I could not make it for the SunSet dive which most other divers did while I was still having my surface interval time.  I leave it to other members to post on their sunset dive experience ok  ;)

The night's dinner was another fantastic galore of food......we had fried chicken wing,  fried prawn,  fried burung puyu,  steamboat dinner & soup,  skinned whole mango as dessert - never had one like this before,  normally it's cut up before serving........the food is simply heavenly yummy and in generous serving portions.

The night ended with me going to bed early.......as usual to avoid the sea-sick feeling and the rest of the karaoke gang on the living room enjoying themselves singing hit songs from Britney spears to some oldies too, and I thought I also heard "guns and roses" songs...kekeke.... :D

Wait up for Part 2 of Day 2 dives..........to be continued in a few more hours after sunrise......now is bedtime,  feeling really sleepy already  :sleepy5:
Last edited by avidiver on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby MT_Tanc » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:25 am

SD, now u hav appointed a new trip secretary ka? :) more pic please.tengkiu
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
A good woman will do 70 chores around the house. Cooking and 69
MT_Tanc
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Snafu » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:46 am

Thanks Avidiver!!!! ... where is the picture?

More trip reports to come right.... keep it coming!!!!

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#5  Postby avidiver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:55 am

Hehehe.............thank you Snafu & MT Tank :)

Wah.....so late still reading kah?  ok ok,  more report after sunrise  :D :D :D..... and hopefully can download some topside pics too  ;)
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby sheik » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:45 am

Avidiver, thanks for the report. Seems like to enjoy writing it and feeding the fish as well. heh heh heh. Topside pix will do too!

SD, where are the u/w pix lah??
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#7  Postby Leafy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:55 am

Thanks for the report aviddiver, an interesting read... thanks for sharing.
--
Website : http://www.leafbug.org “Don’t tell the story if you don’t have the pictures” - National Geographic
Leafy
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:16 am

Nice report avi...btw wer r the fotos? :glasses9:
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#9  Postby avidiver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:36 am

Now.......presenting Part 2 Dive report for Day 2  :glasses9:

9 December 2007
I woke up at around 6am in the morning, feeling much better and eager to try out some dawn dive as what some divers had planned the night before......but it seems like the whole boat was still quiet,  most of the gang are still asleep. Later around 7am, breakfast were being prepared by Mary,  and a few other divers were seen preparing their equipment,  ready for early morning dive,  hence we end up diving together with them.

First Dive:  7.25am
Max. Depth achieved: 21M
Viz: 1 - 3M

The underwater current was manageable and viz was much better than yesterday's morning first dive......,  we descended to the marker line which was tied by Capt. Khay Lee to indicated area which he had spotted sea horses in his previous trip there.  Now,  both buddy and myself have equipped ourselves with our primary torch light as we thought we did not want to have history repeating itself for our yesterday's morning dive experience.

All 5 divers were searching around the green corals area for sea horses and we seperate into buddy groups searching all the nearby vicinity.  Not long after,  we saw the other divers gang i.e Bones, TimYang and the rest underwater also looking for seahorses..... Again,  the site was abundance with juvenile coral fishes,  there were box fish, long fin banner fish, stripped surgeonfish and butterfly fish but both me and buddy could not find any sea horse during our 47 minutes of dive time  :crybaby2:  [-(.  

While we surfaced, 2 other divers were underwater.....and they surfaced about 20 minutes later shouting with joy that they found not only one but 3 sea horses!!!!  2 orange/yellow colour and 1 grey colour with black spot on the green corals.  Everyone was so ecstatic upon hearing such great news!  and we simply can't wait to complete our surface interval time to quickly jump into the sea again.

2nd Dive:  9.17am
Max. Depth achieved: 16.1M
Viz: 1M - 4M

This dive,  we got the 2 divers who found the 3 horses to lead the way..... we were quite certain that our chances of sighting the beautifully elusive sea creature were definately there although there are also chances that they might have swim away.  Nonetheless,  within the first 10 minutes of the dive,  one of the diver signalled the presence of the seahorse, this time, due to better viz,  we were able to see them more clearly....it's the orange colour seahorse with some lighter spot on its body...lenght is estimated to be about 6 inches.  Both buddy and me shaked hand underwater congratulating each other for our fruitful search  ;)  

We continue our search at the other near vicinity area.... hopefull to sight more seahorses, and another diver signalled to us a another orange/yellow colour seahorse were sighted at the sea bed's sandy area.  That's 2 so far.......and finally, the 3rd seahorse is a grey colour with some black spot were seen on another side of green corals.  There were also some small hairy crab (dunno what's its name) hiding inside those green corals, school of snappers noted in this dive.

Overall,  I would say this is one of the best dive of the trip as we managed to spot 3 seahorses within 1 dive!!
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby avidiver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:41 am

ok ok,  I'd try to download some topside photos by this evening but ..........hey where are the rest of the gang lar........ Najib, TimYang, SeaDemon and Bones.... pls help to post some of the trip photos here  :)
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby avidiver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:12 am

Before we start our 3rd dive,  we heard that one of the lady diver onboard lost her brand new G9 with casing while underwater during their 2nd dive  :crybaby2:  It was really a tough moment for her as this was was the first dive trip that she have taken her new baby underwater.  She and buddy didn't continue the 3rd dive with us.

3rd Dive:  12.07pm
Max. Depth achieved: 16.2M
Viz: 1M - 3M

This is the last dive before the vessel depart Pulau Sembilan area to head back to mainland..... After having done 2 earlier dives in the same dive site this morning,  both buddy and myself felt more confident going underwater by ourselves.  We did giant stride leap and descended to look for more potential sea horses....at the same time enjoying the underwater topography of the shallower area.......suddenly,  we saw a huge jelly fish in front just 2 metre away from us,  we got a shocked  :icon_cyclops_ani: and quickly fin away from the jelly....... then, we bumped into Najib, Bones group who were also searching for seahorses....but we didn't find any yet.  We saw more crabs hiding in the rocks,  lizard fish, a pair of long fin banner fish and even some large trevally fish (I think) feeding on a dead crab.  Soon,  buddy and myself hear some "noise" from underwater which sounds like an echo of someone laughing.........dunno where this came from..... quite eerie right?  :D

As both buddy and my dive is coming to an end, luck was on our side and we found another grey colour seahorse with black spot just before we do our safety stop.  We spent another few minutes admiring at the beauty of the little fella before we signal to each other for our safety stop and deployment of our SMB.

After we went back onboard the Kaleebso,  Capt. Khay Lee was so happy that so many of us found sea horses in our dives here and we were all in our happy mood, celebrating a fruitful dive trip.  Later,  when the rest of the divers surfaced,  we found out that the laughing sound that both buddy and me heard was from their group who were playing "UNO" underwater..... :D :D :D  Bones and Najib could elaborate more on how this is done  B-) ;) :D

SeaDemon who didn't make it for today's dive as he was not feeling too well,  also shared our joy and laughter :)  and we also heard another good news from the snorkling team,  they found the G9 camera as it was buoyant and float up, carried by the current towards the snorklers' direction........so lady luck was also shining back at the lady diver who thought she had lost her brand new G9 for good.... Of course,  for the snorkler who had earlier thought that he/she had some windfall earlier,  gracefully surrendered back the camera to the rightful owner  :angel8:

The boat departed Pulau Sembilan just as everyone was onboard,  again,  Capt Khay Lee and Mary did another great lunch galore with lamb chop,  yummy chicken rice, salmon sashimi, grilled salmon, fried hokkien noodle, acar and plenty of fruits.  We arrived at the Hutan Melintang jetty about 5.30pm.

This dive trip is a very memorable one for myself and buddy..........our First LOB trip - which we initially thought we would failed miserably due to bad sea-sickness,  our First sighting of the beautiful sea horses and of course,  with great companions from all of you onboard........it was an experience no money could buy  :)

Thank you again to everyone for the great dive trip!!
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby trigger fish » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 am

Good report Avidiver, I am waiting for your

topside pics.  :icon_bounce: :blob7:
trigger fish
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby Snafu » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Where are the PICTUREs???????

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#14  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:38 pm

Good report Avidiver. I am glad you enjoyed the trip.  Sorry I couldn't dive with you and Dragonfly as I was down with fever...oh well, I was having fever even before we went for the trip...hehehe..but pushed myself to the limits.

I haven't downloaded the pics yet...should be doing that today. I'm still not well and hope to get an appointment with a chest specialist soon.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#15  Postby avidiver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Oh SeaDemon,  sorry to hear that you are still not fully recovered..... hopefully you'd get well soon.......and yes,  please help me to post some of the photos that you've also taken arr......before Snafu ask again  :D :D :D
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby LaraCroft » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:51 pm

Great report Avidiver..

You make a very good reporter. Interesting and precise. Glad you people had a blast.

Where are the pics lar? Soo... much suspense waiting la wey.....

Demon post some pics lar!
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#17  Postby Bagman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:16 pm

Very good report. Sedey (Sad) the vis wasnt good :(
Bagman
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby Scorpenesub » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Thanks for report avidiver. Looks like a good experience diving in near zero vis....

Keenly waiting for photos...
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#19  Postby Bones » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:21 pm

From Avidiver

The night ended with me going to bed early.......as usual to avoid the sea-sick feeling and the rest of the karaoke gang on the living room enjoying themselves singing hit songs from Britney spears to some oldies too, and I thought I also heard "guns and roses" songs...kekeke.... grin

Hey where got GNR.... are you sure it's from us ppl or the seahorses underwater :D :D

then, we bumped into Najib, Bones group who were also searching for seahorses....but we didn't find any yet.  We saw more crabs hiding in the rocks,  lizard fish, a pair of long fin banner fish and even some large trevally fish (I think) feeding on a dead crab.  Soon,  buddy and myself hear some "noise" from underwater which sounds like an echo of someone laughing.........dunno where this came from..... quite eerie right?  grin

Hey that was me laughing laaaaa...hehehhehheh

Btw the UNO underwater....pics are with demon....Hey SD where are the photos la (the ones I took with your new Coolpix)... Btw guys, I managed  to tryout SD's new setup.....
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby najiBEST » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:20 pm

due to popular demand..here are some pics :) .. as usual i'm just noob uw photographer so no great2 photo wan.. heh :)

nudis

mr crab

mr i don't know what

bones n sis

mr seahorse 1

mr seahorse 2
DIVE DIVE DIVE ...
najiBEST
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby penyelamalam » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:41 pm

nice pics despite bad vis...very interestingstuffs to see too..glad to hear u all had a great trip nevertheless
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby najiBEST » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:06 pm

some more pics

uno anyone?

let's play uno

bones taking her game too seriously :)

promoting our malaysian batik :)

hey!, how come got only yellow and red?
DIVE DIVE DIVE ...
najiBEST
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby Bones » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Yee haaa... Underwater UNO! That was definitely fun... Should do it again next trip!!!
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby avidiver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:30 pm

hahaha.........you guys are really very creative,  can even play uno cards underwater, summore complete with "table & batik table cloth" ....hope next trip can play with you guys too  :D
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby avidiver » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:46 pm

The Convoy group - having snack before leaving for Hutan Melintang

Yummy breakkie on Day 1 arrival at Pulau Sembilan dive site

Day 1 arrival: The calm sea surface which turns out have strong underwater current and poor viz

First group of divers with Bones and team out for the first morning dive

Food galore for dinner complete with steamboat soup, fried prawns, fried "burung puyuh", salmon sashimi, whole mango .... and more!!
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby avidiver » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:11 am

This peculiar looking fruit is known as the island pineapple..... at one time it was highly sought after due to it's medicinal value (according to the Capt.) and it fetches up to RM50.00 for each fruit.  The fruit tasted sweet with a hint of guava liked taste..you are suppose to bite the inside tip and suck the juice only just like how we enjoy sugar cane  ;)

The 3 stooges onboard,  DragonFly, SeaDemon and TimYang  :D :D :D

Surrounding area of Hutan Melintang jetty

hehehe.......the kitty which was on duty to send us off and receive us back at the Jetty
avidiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby Nitrogen addict » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:45 am

can't wait to be on Kaleebso again..... yummyyyyyy yummmyyyy food.  Errr Dragonfly nice t-shirt. :glasses9:
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#28  Postby Kapal Selam » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:16 pm

It sounds like a fun trip for you people...especially with Demon on board...unless his not feeling well. The Seahorse looks intresting....any more pix guys?? Hey wait a minute....there's Tim Yang in the group too...any pix with the G7 bro???? SD....heard you got a new set up for your camera?? You got strobe already arr??? Tak geng la macam ni....
Kapal Selam
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby blinded_turtle » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:35 pm

wah so syok!

No wonder la before the trip bones "racun" me to join the trip although i cant dive hehehehe
menyesal sikit tak ikut :p (regret a bit for not joining the trip)

Avidiver good report u have here :)

Lucky u only heard GNR hehehehhe it'll be worst if im there ;)

Aaaah the food...... Mary Mary see u next year :)

Bones jom william hehehehe
blinded_turtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#30  Postby Bones » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:43 pm

blinded_turtle wrote:wah so syok!

No wonder la before the trip bones "racun" me to join the trip although i cant dive hehehehe
menyesal sikit tak ikut :p (regret a bit for not joining the trip)

Avidiver good report u have here :)

Lucky u only heard GNR hehehehhe it'll be worst if im there ;)

Aaaah the food...... Mary Mary see u next year :)

Bones jom william hehehehe

Ah William...cannot maaa.... now have to workout to burn off MAry's food
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Next

Return to Live-onboards