MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Malaysia LOB recommendation ?

Malaysia LOB recommendation ?

Trip reports, liveaboard reviews and questions about liveaboards.
NOT for selling trips. NOT for looking for buddies. (Can also be used for international liveaboards.)

Malaysia LOB recommendation ?

Post Number:#1  Postby diver999 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:39 am

Dear members, need some advice on malaysia LOB. If you have been using those boat before. Kindly leave your comments. Good, Bad, Food, DM....

Good or bad about Kaleebso??

Good or bad about MV Black Pearl??

I dont mean to offense those dive operator. Just need some comments about it so that I can make my choice which one should I dive with.

Million Thanks :)
diver999
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 12

Re: Malaysia LOB recommendation ?

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Wed May 29, 2013 1:43 pm

Black Pearl to me
-Food is great
-Room wise , the only spacious room is the same level as the louge area. Next to the toilet. Other rooms located below , very small and compact.
Each room with AC but the aircond sometime tripped so you have to wake up and DIY to the switchbox located above.
The sheets and pillows looks old but doesn’t smell bad.
Each room have a socket but I can’t remember 2 or 1
-The toilets- there are 2 toilets all the same level as the lounge area. The bowl look nasty sometime. Some divers just too lazy to keep the toilet bowl clean.
Not toiletries and no towels provided.
-They aint that strict with the location of the dive sites. I heard kaleebso already have a list of dive site they prefer to go to.
-They don’t provide DM and renting gears. They only provide weights and tanks. The organizer of the trip have to find DM and the renting gears for their divers.
-They are responsible for anything on the boat but what the divers do underwater is not their’s. An Example if a diver in the trip goes off diving solo , it’s the organizer
Responsibility to smack the diver.
-I’m sure many have heard about the spearfishing activity on board black pearl. It depend on which dive operator you dive with. If you go with a group of reef lovers and
Purely fish lovers who don’t eat fish at all. Then you will have only chicken and meat for meals and no spears involved.

I heard there are a few dive operators that had banned black pearl because of this spear fishing issue. Its gossip so I don’t know how far the story is true or not.

I choose to dive with Black Pearl cause I havent encountered any bad experience with them and I wish not too. I don’t have problem with the pillows and sheets coz
I always practise to bring me own sleeping bag. As for the toiletS, when the emergency come , I don’t care how the bowl looks like.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby diver999 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Thank You so much RUN. Same as you did replied to my answer on my previous post. You are so helpful :)

Glad to hear those comments. Actually I did went up to this boat before BUT is (Donkeys Years Ago) That time the boat named Oriental Queen :)

Since after so many year didnt really do a LOB (Locally)... guess wanna do it again. Any Kaleebso User to comments???

Thanks Once RUN :)
diver999
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Wed May 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Yeap before MVBP it was that.
glad i could help. I know the information is not a lot.just sharing information thats all. What i know i share especially about diving.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#5  Postby gavstang » Wed May 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Kaleebso is good, as far as i know for local LOB in Semenanjung you only really have Kaleebso and Black Pearl. Kaleebso is a no frills boat in terms of your accomodations and facilities so if you expect a luxurious LOB then this is not for you. Saying that everything is well ordered and the bunks are perfectly acceptable and clean although some of the 2 or 3 pax bunks can be terribly cold at night due to the airconditioning so if you are cold adverse then dont opt for the smaller rooms or bundle up! The bunk at the stern is the noisiest as its closest to the engine and if you are a light sleeper will wake up to the sounds of Mary's cooking at 5-6am and the deliicious smell of food wafting in to your room.

No DM or guide provided. Tanks, weight belts all provided but they only have limited rental gear for hire.

Strictly no spear fishing. Although Khay Lee the captain will do his best to catch some fresh fish for sashimi ..no guarantees, depends on his luck. Mary, his partner and ostensibly the Big Sister on the ship is an excellent cook and you will never go hungry. Most divers do Kaleebso purely for the food. The only downside about Kaleebso is the no of dives you get to do. On a 2day 2 night its only 5 dives max although thats enough for most ppl. Black Pearl Ive heard is pretty full on in terms of dives as they have unlimited dives which is a draw for the hardcore or seriously demented. I had one friend do 11 dives in 1 day..can anyone say MENTAL?
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#6  Postby diver999 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks Gavstang for your sharing. I also heard Kaleebso food are good. Is just only the room. That is why I kind of make up my mind to go for MVBP. At least my guest have some privacy then :)

Thank you so much :)
diver999
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby rushd4n » Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 am

rushd4n
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby mamakpenang » Thu May 30, 2013 1:10 pm

rushd4n,
bila nak pi LOB.....ajak aku sekali.....mana tau bleh join......

-- Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 pm --

never been with Kaleebso, cannot vouch on them....
should try them in the near future.
MV Black Pearl, been with them once & happy until today...... :grin:
how many of you like the taste of fresh fish for sashimi, and got to choose what expensive fish to eat for dinner....fresh from the sea without touching ice....
i like fish very much & appreciate if someone take the effort to fish or spearfish for me.....kerapu merah satu....or kerapu bara satu.....siakap, jenahak..... :grin:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby diver999 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Thank You Rushd4n for your kind info :)
diver999
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby rushd4n » Thu May 30, 2013 4:14 pm

mamakpenang wrote:

rushd4n,
bila nak pi LOB.....ajak aku sekali.....mana tau bleh join......

mamakpenang,
set a date, cukupkan org 6 or 8 pax.. then jommm...

-- Thu May 30, 2013 4:19 pm --

diver999 wrote:Thank You Rushd4n for your kind info :)

u r welcome, but i dont know about their service. dont have any experience dived with them.
rushd4n
Diver
Diver

Return to Live-onboards