MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - How Taking UW Photos Can Be Fun, Frustrating & Dangerous At The Same Time

How Taking UW Photos Can Be Fun, Frustrating & Dangerous At The Same Time

You can upload photos to the forum when you make your post. Click on "Attachments and Other Options" for the upload box.

How Taking UW Photos Can Be Fun, Frustrating & Dangerous At The Same Time

Post Number:#1  Postby toodus » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanna share with you my experiences of taking uw shots. I made my decision to get an underwater casing for my compact camera , Panasonic DMC FT1 two years ago right before my Red Sea diving. I told myself, if I'm going that far to dive, I might as well get one. And it was a right decision that I made because I can never get enough of uw photography today. Taking one awesome picture just makes the whole trip so worthwhile. For example :

Smiling Parrot Fish

I was looking into crevices and mini caves in Tenggol and saw  a parrot fish. I didn't notice the smile but what I did was to move my torch in a different direction, aim my camera to the hole where the parrot fish was in pitch darkness and press click. I looked at the camera screen and saw the slight smile. The pumped up adrenalin and joy at that moment - money can't buy. I was just at the right time and the right place.

Let me explain to you how frustrating some marine subjects can be. I spotted a Nembrotha Lineonata. One of the nudibranches with more than 2 vivid colors. And mind you, this fella was as small as your pinky fingernail and crawling at the tip of a clam's opening. Once I spotted it, I calmly positioned myself. There was a current where I dived and I had to lodge myself between available rocks. Also, I kept a lookout on sea urchins and scorpion fishes. A full wetsuit is the best at times like this. The frustrating thing about a small nudibranch is when you take your eyes off from the fella for one second, it is difficult to find him/her back.  Found the nudibranch and the picture taking session begins. Lastly, I check my bottom time and air.
This picture sucks to me because the rule of a picture is that the subject's eyes must be in the centre
I got too close and my flash was not able to dissipate further
Please lift up your head and look at the camera .....
Arghhhh geramnya.....By this time I was screaming and I looked around, the DM and dive buddies weren't around anymore. Cramps started to develop...but I still need to get the perfect shot.
Out of focus pulak......
Finally, a shot where the nudi looked at the camera but I am actually quite dissatisfied with this picture.

Looking at my bottom time and gauge. Gauge already showing I have 20 bars left and I've been underwater for 52 minutes, I guess it's time to do my safety stop and surface alone.  Was afraid I would be quite a distance from the boat but I wasn't worried as I had my whistle with me but when I surfaced, the boat was a mere 10m away and the rest of the divers were just nearby.

Anyway, this post is nothing more than to share the agony, frustration and elation of an uw photographer. I don't know about other uw photogs but I sure do take more than 6 pictures of a marine subject.
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author
Topics: 18

Re: How Taking UW Photos Can Be Fun, Frustrating & Dangerous At The Same Time

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:04 am

lucky you dont have another 6 photographers behind u Q-up to take the same pix. Otherwise you would've been kicked off.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby Narco » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks toodus. That is very true. No need to have 6 photographers lining up. Having a few diver lining to look at the same thing is bad enough. Lagi teruk if everybody started to move viciously and stir up the sandy bottom.. Hehe
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#4  Postby ckchong » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:13 pm

for me...when u are start learning take photo....look for the common thing to shot so that no one will Q behind u.....It is good habit to take long time or stack to same object  to shot only one photo.....a lot great photographer spend 1-2 dive to take only one shot.

For your nudi.... hehheehhe.... think like that my friends.... as simply like that....u bring your camera to pasar seni there and u saw a pretty sexy girl and u walk forward and take her photo....sure she will go away or show u middle finger.... so next time give more time to talk with the girl or say hi.....same as fish or any live object at the sea.....don't straight away show him a big strobe with your camera..... observe him... let him comfortable with your movement....one more think don't swing to fast and take care your bobble too... yayaya don't only observe your object only..... search around b4 u landing.......fire coral or stone fish  may around u....

*i always hope i can get one or tow photo that i can hung on my wall ever trip i go....hehehhehehe .
ckchong
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby Narco » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Haha.. CkChong.. long time no see.. been on land to long i can see. A very interesting example u cited there. Yep, snap.. snap.. or one can also train themselves as paparazi and act similarly underwater.

Once i asked a videographer in mabul, what's his secret towards getting a stable shot. He said, 'breath slow.. very slow.. hehe'. I discovered that it is very true.. Slow breath and then click.. clik.. of course one need to have this skill of getting the correct angle and composition.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#6  Postby mamakpenang » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:22 pm

ckchong,
nice advice, quite sometime never read any comment from u....diving somewhere B-)
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby ckchong » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 pm

hi narco and mamakpenang,

Ya long time no diving d.....know very hard to going diving ready. No one take care children .....have to company family la....my last diving is in aniliao on last year November and this year maybe only one at bali on august 
ckchong
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby Narco » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:08 am

Hehe.. Me too.. Planning to revisit swv again but dunno when. Jealous looking at the big camera set up.. Dunno when I can upgrade mine.. Hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#9  Postby ckchong » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Narco wrote:Hehe.. Me too.. Planning to revisit swv again but dunno when. Jealous looking at the big camera set up.. Dunno when I can upgrade mine.. Hehe

any time man ....sure u can....i can introduce to u if u really looking on it...hehehe.....sure u get the best price
ckchong
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby Narco » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:38 pm

haha.. sure do man. Let us know if you are planning for other trip other than bali. I'm looking forward for Perhentian in May/June and Koh Lipe in Nov.

Brushing up on underwater photography.. hoping to be better with my tiny miny camera.. hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#11  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:02 am

Just bought Canon Powershot S100 + Ikelite Housing.. dah excited gila waiting for next week for Tioman trip. Useful tips for 1st timer like me... :) Think I have to ask my buddy to remind me as I am worry if I forgot to check the air gauge.

End of Apr plan to go Koh Lipe; not really a diving trip... but I will try to squeeze 2 dive there.
Bought AirAsia ticket KL-Bali-KL RM166 in November 2012.. wanna try Bali-Lombok-Komodo with in 8days.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby run » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 am

zaff1984 just remember, ur air consumption will increase much faster when you have a camera with you.
For example when you just leisure dive your gauge will read 50bar at 40min bottom time but with a camera
you might be surprise to see you consume the air a lot faster than before.
This is only temporary, once u'll get the hang of it , ur air consumption will be back to normal or might even be better.
Most underwater photographers i met have very good air consumption and they can stay long uw.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby toodus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:55 am

Except toodus - the dive buddy from hell
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author
Topics: 18

Post Number:#14  Postby run » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:01 pm

you said it yourself, you get over excited what looking at the nudis. That why lar ur air finish so fast.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:51 pm

run wrote:zaff1984 just remember, ur air consumption will increase much faster when you have a camera with you.
For example when you just leisure dive your gauge will read 50bar at 40min bottom time but with a camera
you might be surprise to see you consume the air a lot faster than before.
This is only temporary, once u'll get the hang of it , ur air consumption will be back to normal or might even be better.
Most underwater photographers i met have very good air consumption and they can stay long uw.

Thanks run for the reminder. I will try to find low current or no current and keep shallow for better shot and better air consumption.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:05 pm

zaff1984 wrote:Just bought Canon Powershot S100 + Ikelite Housing.. dah excited gila waiting for next week for Tioman trip. Useful tips for 1st timer like me... :) Think I have to ask my buddy to remind me as I am worry if I forgot to check the air gauge.

End of Apr plan to go Koh Lipe; not really a diving trip... but I will try to squeeze 2 dive there.
Bought AirAsia ticket KL-Bali-KL RM166 in November 2012.. wanna try Bali-Lombok-Komodo with in 8days.

zaff,
how much u bought Canon Powershot S100 + Ikelite Housing? sound like a good choice at the moment.....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:52 pm

mamakpenang wrote:
zaff1984 wrote:Just bought Canon Powershot S100 + Ikelite Housing.. dah excited gila waiting for next week for Tioman trip. Useful tips for 1st timer like me... :) Think I have to ask my buddy to remind me as I am worry if I forgot to check the air gauge.

zaff,
how much u bought Canon Powershot S100 + Ikelite Housing? sound like a good choice at the moment.....

@mamak: bought Canon Powershot S100 for RM1285 without memory card + Canon Casing (quite nice actually)(bought it from Miami Foto next to digital mall KFC) and Ikelite S100 Housing for RM958 (bought it from rainbowrunner.net @ Jalan Ampang.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby ckchong » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:59 pm

ckchong
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Ck, same set as mine... RM2300 still consider a good deal.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby ckchong » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:14 pm

i not sure.....i thinks this guy can be lower if from my hand hehehehehehe
ckchong
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby Narco » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:52 pm

En CkChong, how much lower? Pls advise.. Hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#22  Postby zaff1984 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Mine same set is RM2243. If you can get lower it super cheap.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to Underwater Photography