MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - advise on gear

advise on gear

You can upload photos to the forum when you make your post. Click on "Attachments and Other Options" for the upload box.

advise on gear

Post Number:#1  Postby ngyampei » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:15 pm

i am currently own a canon 5dmk2 dslr with 17-40L lens  without case and strobe ...
i am a landscape photographer and recently get into scuba diving .
due to very limited budget , i couldnt own the housing for my dslr which are so costly but definitely few years later i will get it .

in the meanwhile , i am thinking that should i go for compact cam like canon g12 with housing ? or should i just go for the most economic way - get a underwater housing for my iphone 4s since it can take hd video with light and it able to capture good quality photo too .

thanks a lot :police:
ngyampei
Diver
Diver

Topic author
Topics: 5

Re: advise on gear

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:32 am

for a photographer have this  urge of taking pictures and getting images of everything that come into interest. I say go for G12 with housing.
As a photographer you already understand these EV+-, f-stops, lenses,shutter speed.
You will feel frusted taking pix that is too blue, or too underexpose or too blur.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby toodus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 am

True True.
I am using a Panasonic Lumix FT1 ..the first series of the Lumix and it can be entirely frustrating because my camera do not have the cool functions like a DSLR. So, since you are already well versed with shutter speed, white balance, ISO, etc...just try it out with a G12 and housing.
Underwater Housing for iPhone are for amateurs. You're not one right? So, G12 it is.

An analogy for uw photographers :

If you go to Mydin and buy the kiddie badminton racquet at RM5.00 and give it to Lee Chong Wei, he can still give you a double bagel.
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#4  Postby ckchong » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:23 am

The question is.....You just like to document what u see or u wanted are better quality images...i have few friends is like u, but de end get a DSLR housing for they camera.....

My suggestion is get a second hand DSLR unit (http://www.prestigescuba.com/products.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=200) too bad this is nikon  brand .....start from the old model 2nd hand, get a better storbe it will serve u longer time however u up great your camera.....

BTW 5dm2 Sns still the best for this housing....i'm sure there are 2nd unit on sale on internet, but u need to deal by your self....
https://www.google.com.my/webhp?rlz=1C1CHHJ_enMY439MY439&sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enMY439MY439&sclient=psy-ab&q=wts+5dm2+housing&oq=wts+5dm2+housing&gs_l=hp.3...8080.10214.1.11083.8.8.0.0.0.0.128.689.7j1.8.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.XuxQiWOKOLI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=9e797891eae0610&bpcl=35277026&ion=1&biw=1366&bih=662
ckchong
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby ckchong » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:26 am

i'm very sure u will not satisfied if u go for compact.... may be try sony Nx 5/7 or something like that ranges.....
here with some tip for u:

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/digital-underwater-cameras
ckchong
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Daylight » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:48 am

i think investing in a dslr for UW shooting is well worth it. but with limited budget maybe you can go for a compact. G12 is a good camera but you can also weight your options and have a comparison with the olympus too. it has a good range of xz-1 to PEN series that comes with a pretty good sensor and lance.

do scout around and open up your options before making a decision.
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby decimal86 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:12 pm

after using and seeing pictures from a FF camera, u will not be satisfied with just a PnS. you have a hard decision to make brudder.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#8  Postby nazur » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:23 pm

I own d7000 for ground & g11 for underwater (standard case)...after a while not satisfied with G11 but after searched around the DSLR housing will cost me a bomb..now decided to lego all my dslr stuff, and downgrade myself to Oly OM-D (M4/3). Sumore OM-D is lightweight for travel purposes and give a decent pic too..still scout around for my OM-D underwater case, maybe Nauticam :)
nazur
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby decimal86 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 am

Hehe I am in Lembeh now with my OMD/Nauticam set up. Will post soon
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Return to Underwater Photography