MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Canon S100

Canon S100

You can upload photos to the forum when you make your post. Click on "Attachments and Other Options" for the upload box.

Canon S100

Post Number:#1  Postby gavstang » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Im thinking of getting the Canon s100 but am unsure of which housing to get with it.  The Ikelite casing is relatively cheap but the Recsea one is expensive but looks very well designed.  Does anyone have any experience with the Canon s100 and related housing and whether its a good choice as an initial immersion into the world of underwater photography.  ANy thoughts on good housings for the s100? 

I already own a DSLR but am a newbie diver and dont fancy weighing myself down with gear at the moment hence my decision to buy a compact camera for uw photography.

Thanks in advance for your sharing!
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Topic author
Posts: 181
Topics: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:20 am
Location: Ipoh
Gender: None specified

Re: Canon S100

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:40 pm

most of the diver i know use either ikelite or the canon's own housing. Havent seen one that use recsea.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Canon S100

Post Number:#3  Postby zaff1984 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:32 am

I am S100 + Ikelite user. but I am not advance camera user. So far no problem.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:36 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: Canon S100

Post Number:#4  Postby gavstang » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:18 am

zaff1984 wrote:I am S100 + Ikelite user. but I am not advance camera user. So far no problem.


Hows the access to the functions on camera with the ikelite?  Is it easy to change settings using the housing?
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Topic author
Posts: 181
Topics: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:20 am
Location: Ipoh
Gender: None specified

Re: Canon S100

Post Number:#5  Postby gchew » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 am

gavstang wrote:
zaff1984 wrote:I am S100 + Ikelite user. but I am not advance camera user. So far no problem.


Hows the access to the functions on camera with the ikelite?  Is it easy to change settings using the housing?


There is no access to the rear control dial. Some buttons are harder to push than the rest while underwater. I'm having problem with the power button and the right button.
gchew
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:00 am
Gender: None specified

Re: Canon S100

Post Number:#6  Postby gavstang » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 am

Check out the vid of the recsea housing for the s100..it looks awesome but very expensive..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRfFdlyVQ38#ws
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Topic author
Posts: 181
Topics: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:20 am
Location: Ipoh
Gender: None specified

Re: Canon S100

Post Number:#7  Postby zaff1984 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:14 pm

gchew wrote:
gavstang wrote:
zaff1984 wrote:I am S100 + Ikelite user. but I am not advance camera user. So far no problem.


Hows the access to the functions on camera with the ikelite?  Is it easy to change settings using the housing?


There is no access to the rear control dial. Some buttons are harder to push than the rest while underwater. I'm having problem with the power button and the right button.



correct. no access to rear dial. yup it harder to push while underwater... I don't off my camera underwater, sometime it is hard to turn it back on... I think its because of pressure.. after surfaced, give it a while.. it work normally.. no prob on and off many times.
Last edited by zaff1984 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:36 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: Canon S100

Post Number:#8  Postby gchew » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:02 pm

zaff1984 wrote:
correct. no access to rear dial. yup it harder to push while underwater... I don't off my camera underwater, sometime it is hard to turn it back on... I think its because of pressure.. after surfaced, give it a while.. it work normally.. no prob on and off many times.



Yup, its working fine on the surface. Probably a pressure problem, but can't exactly explain why. BTW, you can always press the play button to turn on the camera :)
gchew
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:00 am
Gender: None specified

Re: Canon S100

Post Number:#9  Postby zaff1984 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 pm

gchew wrote:
zaff1984 wrote:
correct. no access to rear dial. yup it harder to push while underwater... I don't off my camera underwater, sometime it is hard to turn it back on... I think its because of pressure.. after surfaced, give it a while.. it work normally.. no prob on and off many times.



Yup, its working fine on the surface. Probably a pressure problem, but can't exactly explain why. BTW, you can always press the play button to turn on the camera :)


haha.. thanks for the tips.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:36 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified


Return to Underwater Photography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron