MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - I've spoken to Hal Watts personally over the phone

I've spoken to Hal Watts personally over the phone

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

I've spoken to Hal Watts personally over the phone

Post Number:#1  Postby superkingkong » Thu May 17, 2007 8:03 am

kekee.. i'm so honored :)

well, i wrote in, to purchase my nitrox manual .. coz although i went through the course.. i get nothing.. ended up.. i've forgotten everything  :(

so, Hal replied my mail, telling to call them and gave them the necessary info including CC to purchase the manual from them.

after that, we talk about some incidence happening in Malaysia :( he told me that he was upset about the whole thing that happened in Malaysia.

initially i chased Colleen for my nitrox c-card coz i wished to dive nitrox on my March trip, but ended up, the card was only ready in April. So, colleen chased Hal for processing of C-cards for courses that was conducted in Malaysia previously. I'm not going to disclose the whole story in the public :P ... nanti nama terjejas :)

long story short ... when i told him i was one of the student of that batch.. then he said.. oh wow.. so, have u finally gotten your c-card? :P

oh.. sorry.. the reason i open up this thread is that..

after that, we (me and hal) talk about psai courses .. and he touched the narcosis management... which is from Level 1 (30m) to Level 6 [highlight](73m)... on AIR!![/highlight] :o

gosh... is that possible?

As of February 15, 2006 Hal Watts has taken 55 people on dives between 91 – 127 meters (300 and 415 feet) with zero accidents.

prerequisites for narcosis management is only OWD level.
superkingkong

Topic author

Re: I've spoken to Hal Watts personally over the p

Post Number:#2  Postby superkingkong » Thu May 17, 2007 5:44 pm

make me feel that psai is a bit low class  :-? as anyone also can join their tech cources ...
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby bobo » Thu May 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Its not the agency, its the instructors itself. You'll get better education if the instructor is darn good although he/she certified under Kampung Lubang Dalam Sub Aqua Club or KLDSAC hehehe.

So you can maintain your standard although you hoop to one another agency.
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby SeaDemon » Thu May 17, 2007 8:12 pm

Ah...the incident in Malaysia is the one related to PSAI and In-Depth, I assume.

What to do. Sounds like just another political party or sports association in Malaysia. Cannot be president then go open another one. Then one says his is better than the other person's.

Anyway, yes, PSAI has introduced Narcosis Management for ALL level of divers. This is by no means a tech diving course but is just for experience sakes...so a diver is taught gas management, dive planning and execution, eq config etc that one don't normally get. But as OWD you don't go to Level 6 at 73m.  Diving on air to 73m is way beyond the recreational limit for a PPO2 of 1.4. Breathing on normal air at 73m means your PPO2 is at 1.74...but still below the military divers limit of 2.0 and 2.1. If you do Table 6 recompression/decompression treatment, you'll be breathing 100% O2 at an euivalent depth of 18m (PPO2 of 2.8) but of course you'll be doing that in a chamber with someone looking at you and monitoring your progress.

Although breathing air at 73m is possible (I know of someone who's done it to 72m), I would rather keep it to 55m if I am diving tech recreationally (NOT RECREATIONAL DIVING) with a PPO2 of 1.4. If it is offered as a course, then it is different. But it is just that you don't know what your individual physical limits are when it comes to N2 narcosis and O2 toxicity.

And Bobo is right - you want to learn anything, learn from an instructor who actually does the dive....not an instructor who has the certification to teach but doesn't do the dives.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby GOD » Thu May 17, 2007 11:36 pm

SKK ... send my best regards to Hal Watts.

Ask him why on earth did he allow new diver to become PSAI Technical/Trimix instructor  :o?

Is he looking for Quality Instructor or Quantity instructor  ::) ?

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby SeaDemon » Thu May 17, 2007 11:44 pm

Ask him why on earth did he allow new diver to become PSAI Technical/Trimix instructor  :o?

;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby superkingkong » Fri May 18, 2007 6:50 am

;D

he knows u by snafu?
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby superkingkong » Fri May 18, 2007 8:03 am

Its not the agency, its the instructors itself. You'll get better education if the instructor is darn good although he/she certified under Kampung Lubang Dalam Sub Aqua Club or KLDSAC hehehe.

So you can maintain your standard although you hoop to one another agency.

;D ;D ;D

well.. another arguement would be that.. if an university.. any tom dick and harry can also enter.. then it's like no standard punya uni loh... but if that uni is hard to enter.. u should have such and such qualifications, then only can enter... it will make it a higher class uni loh... eh.. not all can masuk harvard  ;D
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby superkingkong » Fri May 18, 2007 8:11 am

Ah...the incident in Malaysia is the one related to PSAI and In-Depth, I assume.

What to do. Sounds like just another political party or sports association in Malaysia. Cannot be president then go open another one. Then one says his is better than the other person's.

Anyway, yes, PSAI has introduced Narcosis Management for ALL level of divers. This is by no means a tech diving course but is just for experience sakes...so a diver is taught gas management, dive planning and execution, eq config etc that one don't normally get. But as OWD you don't go to Level 6 at 73m.  Diving on air to 73m is way beyond the recreational limit for a PPO2 of 1.4. Breathing on normal air at 73m means your PPO2 is at 1.74...but still below the military divers limit of 2.0 and 2.1. If you do Table 6 recompression/decompression treatment, you'll be breathing 100% O2 at an euivalent depth of 18m (PPO2 of 2.8) but of course you'll be doing that in a chamber with someone looking at you and monitoring your progress.

Although breathing air at 73m is possible (I know of someone who's done it to 72m), I would rather keep it to 55m if I am diving tech recreationally (NOT RECREATIONAL DIVING) with a PPO2 of 1.4. If it is offered as a course, then it is different. But it is just that you don't know what your individual physical limits are when it comes to N2 narcosis and O2 toxicity.

And Bobo is right - you want to learn anything, learn from an instructor who actually does the dive....not an instructor who has the certification to teach but doesn't do the dives.

hmm... but i receive one of his email... inviting us (mailing list) to attend his new business opening... from the name.. it doesn't sound like anything to do with diving  ::)

from the chat... we only get those books for NM level 1.. after that, from level 2-6.. it's all on practical.. how u apply it from the book .. i guess.. for tec rec purpose.. it's kinda no reason for u to go down to that depth with air ... kekekeee
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby superkingkong » Fri May 18, 2007 8:47 am

i got the below email from him today. i asked him, if we are AOWD deep diver.. will be be exempted from NM level 1... thus go straight to level2 :)

Being PADI AOW to 100' does not qualify a diver to skip Level I. I am a PADI Deep diving instructor and can say that even that course doesn't qualify. However, it is a good course, just doesn't cover what is needed for Narcosis Management (NM).

Adv EANx fees are $350.00. Pattaya dive shop is not a PSAI facility and there are no NM instructors there. They cannot offer NM. We do not combine courses. To train down to NM Level 3 the fees are $380.00 plus $49.00 for the manual and $18.00 for the required slate.

The fees for Ext Range are $400.00 if accomplished in 2 days, or $600.00 if for some reason it takes 3 days. This will be determined during the course. However, all past candidates who have trained down to NM Level IV, 180', have not had to do the 3 day Ext Range (ER) course. After ER is Trimix.

We will be glad to answer any other questions. Thanks for the contact.

Hal Watts
CEO & Founder - PSA International
9425 NW 115 Avenue
Ocala, FL 34482
Phone: 352-861-7724
Fax: 352-694-7724
www.psainternational.net
Last edited by superkingkong on Fri May 18, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
superkingkong

Topic author

Return to Technical Diving