MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - swapping regulator underwater?

swapping regulator underwater?

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

swapping regulator underwater?

Post Number:#1  Postby SuperKingKong® » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:02 am

hi guys,

have read on a board that, they can swap regulators underwater. true?
especially for those tech divers, where they have few regs UW, and if one of their deco/stage reg faulty, they'll just swap it out  :-?

we are taught to replace the dust cap after removing from the tank, to prevent water from going in....

any inputs?

appreciate it, thanks.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Re: swapping regulator underwater?

Post Number:#2  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:55 am

Swap regulators? Can. I'm sure you had to do that during your OW course.

But swapping 1st stage underwater? We don't carry that many regulator sets. The ones we carry are already attached to the DIN valves on the tanks.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby SuperKingKong® » Tue May 01, 2007 5:32 am

oh.. i don't mean swap 2nd stage :P

i think what they meant was that since they have 2 regs on their double, and 2 regs on their deco/stage ... and if one of their stage/deco reg failed, they will have to swap their first stage with the faulty one... so i guess i'm not sure whether did i get it correctly...  ::)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue May 01, 2007 11:39 am

On the twins of course we have 2 regs...one 1st stage for each cylinder..connected to the valve, interconnected via the manifold.

How many regulator sets do you want to hold in your hands while breathing through the ones attached to the cylinders? :o ;D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed May 02, 2007 4:28 am

when i come accross the article again, will post here :P
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed May 02, 2007 10:10 pm

Actually it can be done.

During one confined water training NOT part of any training by any of the dive training agencies, I had to do the extreme version of "ditch and don." The gear is all dismantled and strewn all over inside the pool...mask, cylinder, fins, regulator, BCD. You jump in, and with one breath, assemble everything, don the equipment and swim to the end of the pool.

But that's not as bad as "drown-proofing." Hahaha! ;D ;D :-/
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby MACHA » Wed May 02, 2007 10:40 pm

Actually it can be done.

During one confined water training NOT part of any training by any of the dive training agencies, I had to do the extreme version of "ditch and don." The gear is all dismantled and strewn all over inside the pool...mask, cylinder, fins, regulator, BCD. You jump in, and with one breath, assemble everything, don the equipment and swim to the end of the pool.

Ya La...I remember doing that last time .....ceh! Little bit suspen oso..after that was fun lascuba bail out & stuff :) :)
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#8  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun May 06, 2007 2:46 am

Actually it can be done.

that is an interesting task to do.. wish to try it out... but before that... if u take apart the first stage from the k-valve... water will not go in?? hence, having to buy another reg just for this task  >:(
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 06, 2007 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Return to Technical Diving