MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Finning techniques

Finning techniques

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

Finning techniques

Post Number:#1  Postby MazAmi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:25 am

Anybody been on the DIR course?.....interested to learn about DIR finning techniques using the old-styled scubapro jet fins. You can fin without disturbing the bottom sediment, rotate on a 10 sen coin and even reverse! Good for wreckies and techies. I have seen people doing it on the DIR course....but it was just too expensive for me.
Can teach for free ah?
MazAmi

Topic author

Re: Finning techniques

Post Number:#2  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:09 am

IMO, it doesn't really matter what fins you use as long as they're not split fins (I may be wrong, I've never used split fins before). Personally, I use a MARES Volo even when doing tech diving..as long as I'm not in a hurry, employing the finning methods you mention. Even if you use the Scubapro jet-fins you'll kick up sediment if you employ the wrong techniques and have poor buoyancy.

The techniques are: frog, modified frog, modified flutter, back-kick (you'll need the jet-fins to execute this properly), helicopter turn, full stop etc. I normally use frog and modified frog, the latter if I do swim throughs or when I hover 3"-6" above the bottom so as not to stir the sediment...

As for turning on the dime employing helicopter turn, I don't find that very useful when I'm in a tight spot in a wreck somewhere. I have my fingers in my gloves, I'll use them to turn. I use it when I do UW photography/videography when the subject moves not too far to my south.

As for teaching for free, yeah, sure can. As long as you pay for my dives, accommodation, meals, boat transfer, toll and fuel costs  ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby Jim » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:16 am

Anybody been on the DIR course?.....interested to learn about DIR finning techniques using the old-styled scubapro jet fins. You can fin without disturbing the bottom sediment, rotate on a 10 sen coin and even reverse! Good for wreckies and techies. I have seen people doing it on the DIR course....but it was just too expensive for me.
Can teach for free ah?

ppsstt... bro, next time kat Hj Don Damas remind me about this...
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby ikan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:30 am

SD .. i have to concur with u with regards to split fin, am using one myself, it is very easy on the legs, propulsion is there if u got the right technique but manueveribility wise it is just not there ...
ikan

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby nazimkecik » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:58 am

love my split ::) just gotta practice practice practice..frog, modified frog, modified flutter, back-kick..no problem..

SD .. i have to concur with u with regards to split fin, am using one myself, it is very easy on the legs, propulsion is there if u got the right technique but manueveribility wise it is just not there ...
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby anas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:21 am

ehh.. that day u tried force fin... tak suka ke? ;-)
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby ikan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:37 am

Nazim

I got no problem with my split fins ... but u got to admit manouveribility wise, kalah hands down to jet fins and force fins laaa bro

Sheikh

the force fins works great mannnn ... but sizing problem la bro ... didnt find bigger size than urs one ... else dah samabar dah satu .. hehehhehe .. kena banyak hands on lagi ni
ikan

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:41 am

love my split ::) just gotta practice practice practice..frog, modified frog, modified flutter, back-kick..no problem..

I think with 6 tanks on you, you will have problems ;)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby nazimkecik » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:49 am

Bro..i think split fin only lose at frog kick la in terms of speed..flutter kalo bye bye jet fin specially in current. all the other kicks i believe split can do, back reverse, frog etc, but flutter is where it excels..i'm using apollo XT by the way (stiffer version).

On the other hand Force fin memang 'top dog' la..that one i will put my hands down..semua pun boleh..damn good fin..fast, short, light, comfy..just cost too much..

Nazim

I got no problem with my split fins ... but u got to admit manouveribility wise, kalah hands down to jet fins and force fins laaa bro

Sheikh

the force fins works great mannnn ... but sizing problem la bro ... didnt find bigger size than urs one ... else dah samabar dah satu .. hehehhehe .. kena banyak hands on lagi ni
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby nazimkecik » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:50 am

For the kind of diving i'm doing it is perfect :) same case like jacket BC for recreational diving is good and cheap  ;D

nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby leafbug » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:21 pm

6 tanks? then pakai jet-scooter je la bro! :D
leafbug

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby anas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:08 am

Nazim

Sheikh

Seasir just got a pair of those. You might wanna try his.
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby Jim » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:17 am

eh Sheik... can try yr ff next time?
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby Snafu » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:07 am

Hi Aquaholic,

Next time you go diving or go to the pool ... talk to the divers & ask them questions about their finning technique.

You will learn a lot more by doing it & is free.

;D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#15  Postby sheik » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:52 am

eh Sheik... can try yr ff next time?

For you, Jim, sure can.
At the same time, may I tell you that I know there is a pair of public FF. Anyone can use those also. I used those before (only a few times ;-))after deciding to get on my own.

warning ah..: they are contagious!
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#16  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:42 pm

for me personally i prefer a pair of 93 cm fins with hard profile blades doing the dolphin.......releks beb...a fibreglass mono looks nice also...

currently trying a pair of RM 40 Speedo hand paddles....susah nak drive beb...jetfin pun kalah...heh
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#17  Postby HoleMaster » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:07 pm

For me after changing to jet fins...im damn satisfied compared to my scubapro razor which sucks big time when strong current. The downside, its heavier. Was really surprised with the performance. Remembered when i had to lead a group where those ppl couldnt cope up and eventually lost them. On surface, they complained i was too fast but i thought to myself that i was goin damn slow.....only then i knew the propulsion was so good.  
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#18  Postby putradiver » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:09 pm

M waiting to test the Deepoutdoors Six Gill fins sometime next week.  Will let u guys know...
putradiver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby Cher » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:10 am

For me after changing to jet fins...im damn satisfied compared to my scubapro razor which sucks big time when strong current. The downside, its heavier. Was really surprised with the performance. Remembered when i had to lead a group where those ppl couldnt cope up and eventually lost them. On surface, they complained i was too fast but i thought to myself that i was goin damn slow.....only then i knew the propulsion was so good.  

Hhahahah DM, if you were referring to us, it's not that we couldnt keep up lah.. We stopped to look at something, but you went ahead. The moment we started to move again, you were nowhere in sight. And the vis was utterly baaaaaaaaaaaad.. we couldnt see you..  ::) Maka bermula lah operasi mencari DM hee hee hee
Cher
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby Snafu » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:21 am

DM should been alert when guiding .. has nothing to do with finning technique.

;D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#21  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:05 pm

;D

;D ;D ;D ;)
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#22  Postby LaraCroft » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Hhahahah DM, if you were referring to us, it's not that we couldnt keep up lah.. We stopped to look at something, but you went ahead. The moment we started to move again, you were nowhere in sight. And the vis was utterly baaaaaaaaaaaad.. we couldnt see you..  ::) Maka bermula lah operasi mencari DM hee hee hee

I remember that incident soooooooo.. well.  ;D :D ;)
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#23  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:21 pm

;D

;D ;D ;D ;)

Yup u r right, should be more alert when guiding. That incident happened during my DMT ie training. Alot of comments and guidance were received during training, of which is invaluable. We dont just learn from books or teaching but also from our mistakes...that what makes u a better diver isnt it? ;)
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#24  Postby LaraCroft » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:20 pm

;D

;D ;D ;D ;)

Yup u r right, should be more alert when guiding. That incident happened during my DMT ie training. Alot of comments and guidance were received during training, of which is invaluable. We dont just learn from books or teaching but also from our mistakes...that what makes u a better diver isnt it? ;)

Exactly!! Words and wisdom from a True DM. So DM.. please teach me how to fin the turbo way can ahh..?? Dont wanna be left behind again and again lar..
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#25  Postby Cher » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:32 pm

;D

;D ;D ;D ;)

Heheheh No lah.. it wasnt that you were not alert, the vis was very the baddest... it aint your fault la bro.. :-* ;)
Cher
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby Atuk » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:35 pm

if only you knew how concerned pinkfins was masa tu.... pantang dengar 'knocking', will assume it was you and ajak the rest of us pegi carik.... ;D
Atuk
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#27  Postby Cher » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:58 pm

if only you knew how concerned pinkfins was masa tu.... pantang dengar 'knocking', will assume it was you and ajak the rest of us pegi carik.... ;D

Hush... hahahah dont la say.. shy.. hahahaha  :-[
Cher
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby Atuk » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Exactly!! Words and wisdom from a True DM. So DM.. please teach me how to fin the turbo way can ahh..?? Dont wanna be left behind again and again lar..

Lara, be proactive... keep a lookout for the DM instead.  If he/she syok sendiri moving too far ahead, use a tank banger etc to call him/her to wait for you  ;D
Atuk
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby LaraCroft » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Lara, be proactive... keep a lookout for the DM instead.  If he/she syok sendiri moving too far ahead, use a tank banger etc to call him/her to wait for you  ;D

But.. but.. Atuuukk..  I was the one that was RIGHT behind him.. :'(
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#30  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:50 pm

Use the tank banger and bang the DM la..but anyway, while it's fun to talk about banging techniques, the thread is about finning techniques  ;)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Technical Diving