MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - difficulty in doing valve drill...

difficulty in doing valve drill...

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

difficulty in doing valve drill...

Post Number:#1  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:23 am

hi guys,

hmmm.. just wondering, is anyone out there having difficulty reaching their own valves on their doubles the first few times while doing the valve drill?

i know practice makes perfect but is there any tips and tricks in doing it on your own? :P
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Re: difficulty in doing valve drill...

Post Number:#2  Postby Snafu » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:21 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:hi guys,

hmmm.. just wondering, is anyone out there having difficulty reaching their own valves on their doubles the first few times while doing the valve drill?

i know practice makes perfect but is there any tips and tricks in doing it on your own? :P

Do you have instructor or friends doing the drills with U?...1st few times, is difficult until you manage to change the height of the twins

You can adjust the height of the twins & making the manifold easy to reach...look at ur BP or ur soft pac, adjustment can be done from there.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#3  Postby SuperKingKong® » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Syed K. A. wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:hi guys,

Do you have instructor or friends doing the drills with U?...1st few times, is difficult until you manage to change the height of the twins

You can adjust the height of the twins & making the manifold easy to reach...look at ur BP or ur soft pac, adjustment can be done from there.

my bp only has 2 holes. since the lower hole has been covered by the harness, i can only use the upper hole.
currently, a simply push at my elbow will help :P
my instructor asked me to do some stretching daily :P
Last edited by SuperKingKong® on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Snafu » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:34 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:my bp only has 2 holes. since the lower hole has been covered by the harness, i can only use the upper hole.
currently, a simply push at my elbow will help :P
my instructor asked me to do some stretching daily :P

Bro,

Stretching daily would help a lot...good advice from ur instructor which I should follow.

You can always drill more holes to your BP & is easy...time for you to DIY.

Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#5  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:49 pm

Last edited by Mephisto the Heretic on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#6  Postby HoleMaster » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:52 pm

For the isolation valve u can slightly tilt the manifold and/or knob towards ur BP. For others Snafu is right. It takes a while getting used to it. Bro r u doing ur Deco Procedure course?
Last edited by HoleMaster on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby Nizaha » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:23 am

SKK..

Are you diving wet or dry??

I woudn't drill the hole on my plate, But I will do some adjustment the bands itself. Also arch your back little bit while your do the drill..

I would agree with Snafu.. stretching.. I did before a dive usually. and work for me.

Safe diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:13 am

bro...

cant drill my plate anymore lah... i'm using the top hole already  :D

hmm as zaha mentioned.. probably i need to play with the band.
i'm diving dry... it's still cold here.. that day i wore a 7mil ..wah.. my face turned blue :P my buddy told me  ;)

thanks mep... it really helps :)

well, fat ppl are not as flexible as normal ppl :P .. and with the thickness of the exposure suit... whoa.. lagi worst  :(
hey holey... yeah.. still getting ready for it :P
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby Nizaha » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:50 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:bro...

i'm diving dry... it's still cold here.. that day i wore a 7mil ..wah.. my face turned blue :P my buddy told me  ;)

well, fat ppl are not as flexible as normal ppl :P .. and with the thickness of the exposure suit... whoa.. lagi worst  :(

Ok SKK. You're the best..You know now how tough wearing thicker stuff and same times perform the skill :D :D :D not easy isn't?? but if you can nail the valve shutdown in drysuit effectively. You'll be smiling doing the drill in thin suit..even 7mm.

regarding about the tank try move upper band just around the curve of the tank. that might help. BTW are you using steel tank or Alu??  [-( [-(

What type of drysuit do you own? trilam or crushed neoprene or just 4mm neoprene..I own Mobby and DUI TLS 350 both is trilam suit..:) :)

So many thing you have to think when diving the drysuit. undergarment,air trap and flexibility..

Some drysuit have a short area around armpit ex white drysuit . it's pain in the ass to stretch your arm during the drill..  Also how much air do you really need inside your drysuit to prevent love bite..hehe. What kind of undergarment do you wearing? .. 400gram or 200gram thinsulate???

I own 400g and Fouth element undergarment( thin, stretchy but most important thing is keep you toast) :D :D ask your instructor about those product..!!

BTW out of curiosity how do you control your buoyancy? from wing or drysuit??? just asking..

Safe diving
Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:07 am

Nizaha wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:bro...

Ok SKK. You're the best..You know now how tough wearing thicker stuff and same times perform the skill :D :D :D not easy isn't?? but if you can nail the valve shutdown in drysuit effectively. You'll be smiling doing the drill in thin suit..even 7mm.

regarding about the tank try move upper band just around the curve of the tank. that might help. BTW are you using steel tank or Alu??  [-( [-(

What type of drysuit do you own? trilam or crushed neoprene or just 4mm neoprene..I own Mobby and DUI TLS 350 both is trilam suit..:) :)

So many thing you have to think when diving the drysuit. undergarment,air trap and flexibility..

Some drysuit have a short area around armpit ex white drysuit . it's pain in the a** to stretch your arm during the drill..  Also how much air do you really need inside your drysuit to prevent love bite..hehe. What kind of undergarment do you wearing? .. 400gram or 200gram thinsulate???

I own 400g and Fouth element undergarment( thin, stretchy but most important thing is keep you toast) :D :D ask your instructor about those product..!!

BTW out of curiosity how do you control your buoyancy? from wing or drysuit??? just asking..

Safe diving
Zaha

i'm using al80 ... hmm do u think moving the band down a bit (that means the valve go higher) will work? or will it look weird? :P

yeah, i thought someone told me b4.. why wear a 7mil wetsuit? so bulky ... now when i'm dry... i think i'm more "bulkier" than b4  [-( i have the pinnacle evo .. a trilam. the water is about high 40s F .... currently i'm only wearing a 100g thinsulate with a layer of polypro long john .. i think it's better than the 400g in terms of dexterity :P ..of coz... i'm feeling a bit chilly down there. with this thin 100g undergarment, i'm already struggling with the valves.. what happers if i'm wearing the 400g one? gosh.. can't move at all  :D

bouyancy? ... my wing. what about you? i've heard of others using the drysuit....
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby aquaholic » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:20 pm

1) Adjust harness so that you can touch your backplate over your shoulders (check out halcyon bc online manual - it shows how to adjust your harness correctly)
2) Get a Halcyon harness.It has a grommet (hole) in the harness so that you can put the bolt through.
3) Moving the tank bands down does help but a pain if you have to use rentals
4) Last resort - Lift up the twins using your other hand during valve drills

My two bits.
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby Nizaha » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:37 pm

HI SKK..

I doesn't ask you to move up that high your bands.. :D :D :D.

I'm using wing to control my buoyancy as well. I see few failure point by using drysuit as buoyancy control.

with 100 gram undergarment at 40F for sure you'll be chill after 30minute dives for sure. I dive between January until march water temp around -5. I'm wearing 400gram and fouth element arctic undergarment.. I feel chill after 50 minute dive..

just practice,practice,practice.. Good luck on your course. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Safe diving
Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Return to Technical Diving