MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - DIR / GUE......what is this???

DIR / GUE......what is this???

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

Re: DIR / GUE......what is this???

Post Number:#91  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:14 pm

John F SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
Sicko wrote:
They behave just like lemmings........... :D :D

Oh and 1 of them can't even fin backwards or keep her body parts off corals...........Well, at least she thinks she's Doing It Right.......... :D   Whatever...............

the dir-f course only teaches u the method. after that course, ur bouyancy will still not be perfect. u need to practise it :)

Oh! That sounds like PADI Open Water Diver Course...another unsafe agency...teaches you buoyancy during the course and after thtat you need to practise it. See the vast and stark difference between PADI OWD and DIR-F?

It's like trying to find a straight pubic hair amongst the messy rest.  :D :D :D :D :D

i asked him... since the buoyancy of the dir divers on the video are so good... if i take on that course.. will mine be that good also? .. he said.. it will be better.... but u'll need to practise.. maybe another 6-12mths to really perfect it :) .. depends on u :P

well, this is what i think also... gue course is not a magical pill :P
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#92  Postby Sicko » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 pm

John F SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
Sicko wrote:

Oh and 1 of them can't even fin backwards or keep her body parts off corals...........Well, at least she thinks she's Doing It Right.......... :D   Whatever...............

the dir-f course only teaches u the method. after that course, ur bouyancy will still not be perfect. u need to practise it :)

Oh! That sounds like PADI Open Water Diver Course...another unsafe agency...teaches you buoyancy during the course and after thtat you need to practise it. See the vast and stark difference between PADI OWD and DIR-F?

It's like trying to find a straight pubic hair amongst the messy rest.  :D :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#93  Postby Sicko » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:27 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:
John F SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
Sicko wrote:

i asked him... since the buoyancy of the dir divers on the video are so good... if i take on that course.. will mine be that good also? .. he said.. it will be better.... but u'll need to practise.. maybe another 6-12mths to really perfect it :) .. depends on u :P

The thing is........They have to fufill the strict standards before the appropriate accreditation can be given.........
I don't see that being enforced. So why pay more? to get cult status?
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#94  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:44 pm

Sicko wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
John F SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
Sicko wrote:

The thing is........They have to fufill the strict standards before the appropriate accreditation can be given.........
I don't see that being enforced. So why pay more? to get cult status?

that is why.. with the strict rules.. one might not pass on their first attempt... subsequent sittings are free... but u have to fly to their place where they conduct their next course.

i guess those who can graduate from them.. their buoyancy is near perfection already... or i would say 60-70%
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#95  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:00 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:
that is why.. with the strict rules.. one might not pass on their first attempt... subsequent sittings are free... but u have to fly to their place where they conduct their next course.

i guess those who can graduate from them.. their buoyancy is near perfection already... or i would say 60-70%

You actually believe that Bull?

Most MUW members have good buoyancy up to the percentage you have mentioned by going to the pool often. No miracle GUE-BS pills there.

Buoyancy is all about practise...not something you can learn overnight.

Cut the crap la.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#96  Postby Sicko » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:54 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:i guess those who can graduate from them.. their buoyancy is near perfection already... or i would say 60-70%

Near perfection??????? :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11:
Not from what I have seen.................. :glasses2:
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#97  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:18 pm

John F SeaDemon wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:

You actually believe that Bull?

Most MUW members have good buoyancy up to the percentage you have mentioned by going to the pool often. No miracle GUE-BS pills there.

Buoyancy is all about practise...not something you can learn overnight.

Cut the crap la.

well, i don't know.. this is what they told me.. i'm just saying what they told me....
i'm not one of them... and i don't intend to get one

another thing he told me... george irvin is kinda sick of it.. coz the whole world is questioning them...

other than what they told me, i don't know anything about it... so, if i've said anything wrong, please do forgive me.

so.. *peace*
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#98  Postby Snafu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:33 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:well, i don't know.. this is what they told me.. i'm just saying what they told me....

another thing he told me... george irvin is kinda sick of it.. coz the whole world is questioning them...

other than what they told me, i don't know anything about it... so, if i've said anything wrong, please do forgive me.

so.. *peace*

If it can make U a better diver & respect others training agency...no harm learning.

As for GI3 ...he started off by slacking others & all divers are wrong when not DIR, he even slack equipment that he has not dive...armchair critic  :laughing11: so the whole diving world bang DIR because of that.

Is good that u are there to ask question, hey if you interested to learn please do so...no have having extra skills.

If U look at the brand design in term of material & durability.....what different does it gives compare to other known brand? The truth: Not much better.

Anyway i can list a long facts regards to the training but I am not going to do so as I dont want to be like some of DIR divers.

A good DIR instructors & DIR divers will not slack others, infact they will be very happy to share their experience & knowledge with others.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#99  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:40 pm

Syed K. A. wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:well, i don't know.. this is what they told me.. i'm just saying what they told me....

so.. *peace*

1. If it can make U a better diver & respect others training agency...no harm learning.

2. As for GI3 ...he started off by slacking others & all divers are wrong when not DIR, he even slack equipment that he has not dive...armchair critic  :laughing11: so the whole diving world bang DIR because of that.

3. Is good that u are there to ask question, hey if you interested to learn please do so...no have having extra skills.

4. If U look at the brand design in term of material & durability.....what different does it gives compare to other known brand? The truth: Not much better.

5. Anyway i can list a long facts regards to the training but I am not going to do so as I dont want to be like some of DIR divers.

6. A good DIR instructors & DIR divers will not slack others, infact they will be very happy to share their experience & knowledge with others.

1. true but the price for their prices does not justify. other training agencies also ok what... besides of the course prices, "importing" them to m'sia to train us is another big amt. sorry, maybe i'm a poor diver.

2. but hor... if u go to scubaboard, u can see everyone is asking for dir... want to adopt dir.. questions like what regs are dir certified??.. if my short hose is 23", am i still DIR?.. etc etc. macam dir is God of diving

3. same as no.1

4. well, this one, i did ask him, hey, when i try my oxycheq wing, and if i stay still, how come i "senget" to one side? he said, oh, it's because of the design. eclipse will not because of the design. so, i just say, oh.. ic.

5. if i say something bad in scubaboard forum abt DIR divers. wah.. i'll kena bash "kau kau" :D

6. i'm not sure abt that, those i encounter on the net, they are like some God...
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#100  Postby Snafu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:08 pm

Whatever the training agency we are from, in the end of the day we try our very best to be smart & thinking diver.

Keep asking question & share information.

We all learn together & be a safer diver.

Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#101  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:41 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:1. true but the price for their prices does not justify. other training agencies also ok what... besides of the course prices, "importing" them to m'sia to train us is another big amt. sorry, maybe i'm a poor diver.

2. but hor... if u go to scubaboard, u can see everyone is asking for dir... want to adopt dir.. questions like what regs are dir certified??.. if my short hose is 23", am i still DIR?.. etc etc. macam dir is God of diving

3. same as no.1

4. well, this one, i did ask him, hey, when i try my oxycheq wing, and if i stay still, how come i "senget" to one side? he said, oh, it's because of the design. eclipse will not because of the design. so, i just say, oh.. ic.

5. if i say something bad in scubaboard forum abt DIR divers. wah.. i'll kena bash "kau kau" :D

6. i'm not sure abt that, those i encounter on the net, they are like some God...

1. Very true, and the skills you learn would probably be taught by other agencies available in Malaysia already too..and cheaper.

2. Go back to my question on short hoses and long hose. If I want to dive down to 50 meters to see Hammerheads in Sipadan, do I have to have a long hose? The answer is - NO. There has been cases where people with long hose (from a certain agency that promotes it) who have had his long hose snagged at something during a cave dive and panicked. GI3 was there to calm him down. Remember, you can tuck all you want and make things streamlined and tidy. When your body is subjected to pressure, it gets compressed. And things tight get loose. That's when sh** hits the fan - DIR or not. They are safe so far because it hasn't hit them. They are still a new agency. And GI3 is nothing but a hogwash.

3.  You can get the same skills from other agencies.

4.  You could also be senget to one side because you have not done your fitting properly. A slightly longer harness strap on one side could render the same thing. You put your camera to one side will give the same thing. You carry your sausage in a pocket on one side will give you the same thing because of the drag. It happens to me a lot of times. If you unzip the bladder of an Oxycheq and that of a Halcyon, you will know the difference. I am not an Oxycheq fanatic but before I bought my Oxycheq, someone tried selling me a Halcyon. So I know.

5.  Well, if they are God, I am the Demon. Eh, I am one already  :D :D :D :D :D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#102  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:43 pm

On that note, if you read my postings on the other forum on GUE/DIR and DUI drysuits they are promoting, the guy can't even give me straight answers. Maybe had I attended the talk, he would have packed up and left without finishing his glass of mineral water.  :D :D :D :D :D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#103  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:46 pm

I'm sending you a PM on the links of the posts I made re DIR/GUE/DUI drysuits on the other forum.
Last edited by John F SeaDemon on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#104  Postby shafi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 pm

This thread is overwhelmingly technical for a recreational diver like me, but i'm concerned with how easy it is for a new diver to be so confused about sound fundamentals of diving.

Everything seems to be as clear as crystal when it comes to what is being taught to the beginners, but at the end I sense that it seems to boil down to the individual's common sense, which would only be good/reasonable sense if they are willing to do a little research, talk and inquire, seek advise and opinions from a range of sources, etc.

Guess this is why the forum plays a significant role...

So DIR is a guideline - an option which divers can choose to inculcate to whatever extent that is necessary based on their dive styles ???  [-(  Need someone to clarify this.

So its like a standard for food safety? Like u can choose HACCP or ISO9001 or ISO22000 or GMP++, it meets the objective but it depends on how stringent you want to make it.

Can someone provide me an analogy that best illustrates DIR and OW, other than the pictures SD showed re:apples (cute rec divers having fun) and oranges (tech diver with twins?). He lost me there...
To die as I have lived.....*Paulo Coelho*
shafi
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#105  Postby Nizaha » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:55 pm

Syed K. A. wrote:Whatever the training agency we are from, in the end of the day we try our very best to be smart & thinking diver.

Keep asking question & share information.

We all learn together & be a safer diver.

that's true..

Practice ,practice..and practice.

Why not organize another class for buoyancy skill for Muwian. Sometimes around April..so I can join also..eheheh

Safe diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#106  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:15 am

shafi wrote:This thread is overwhelmingly technical for a recreational diver like me, but i'm concerned with how easy it is for a new diver to be so confused about sound fundamentals of diving.

That is why it is in this technical diving thread...hehehe.

shafi wrote:Can someone provide me an analogy that best illustrates DIR and OW, other than the pictures SD showed re:apples (cute rec divers having fun) and oranges (tech diver with twins?). He lost me there...

That was not my analogy. That was a recreation of what the DIR guy showed in his slides when he spoke to several recreational divers on how dangerous or unstreamlined recreational divers are as opposed to those who do it "right."
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#107  Postby HoleMaster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:40 am

John F SeaDemon wrote:
shafi wrote:This thread is overwhelmingly technical for a recreational diver like me, but i'm concerned with how easy it is for a new diver to be so confused about sound fundamentals of diving.

shafi wrote:Can someone provide me an analogy that best illustrates DIR and OW, other than the pictures SD showed re:apples (cute rec divers having fun) and oranges (tech diver with twins?). He lost me there...

That was not my analogy. That was a recreation of what the DIR guy showed in his slides when he spoke to several recreational divers on how dangerous or unstreamlined recreational divers are as opposed to those who do it "right."

Wah SD they used u as an example....ur famous dude!
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#108  Postby shafi » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:47 am

Fine, so is there an a***-ogy?
To die as I have lived.....*Paulo Coelho*
shafi
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#109  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:50 am

Zarir wrote:
John F SeaDemon wrote:

Wah SD they used u as an example....ur famous dude!

Hello, friend. R-E-C-R-E-A-T-I-O-N...recreation. It wasn't me he used in the slides.  :P :D :D :D :D :D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#110  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:51 am

shafi wrote:Fine, so is there an a***-ogy?

Well, it had everything to do with everything a-n-a-l.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#111  Postby Ubi » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:40 pm

Wow only came upon this thread recently (dont normally read the tech section since not a tekkie hehe).

I thought I read an instructor from GUE (named andrew georgitsis IIRC) jumped ship to Naui Tec sometime ago so if someone wants to learn DIR AND still smoke then this might be a viable alternative :D

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/124463-gue-dir-f-vs-naui-intro-tech-2.html

My point of view (dunno if it matters hehe) is bp/w is pretty ok for rec diving and not because it looks "trendy". If you use an alu plate with a 30lb wing its great for air travel even AirAsia as the whole thing is light and packs down small. I normally separate the wing from the plate and stuff it in my regulator bag which I handcarry onboard so I no worries bout theft or lost baggage. Of course this means you need to be weighed down so you still get ditchable weights. Resale value is also better than regular bcds as you're not restricted by size. Lastly the thing dries faster than normal bcds but this is just nitpicking. So if you have lobang and can get bp/w for about the same price as a jacket then I dont see why not. Just my 2 sens.
Ubi
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#112  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:54 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:
Syed K. A. wrote:

so.. *peace*

1. If it can make U a better diver & respect others training agency...no harm learning.

2. As for GI3 ...he started off by slacking others & all divers are wrong when not DIR, he even slack equipment that he has not dive...armchair critic  :laughing11: so the whole diving world bang DIR because of that.

3. Is good that u are there to ask question, hey if you interested to learn please do so...no have having extra skills.

4. If U look at the brand design in term of material & durability.....what different does it gives compare to other known brand? The truth: Not much better.

5. Anyway i can list a long facts regards to the training but I am not going to do so as I dont want to be like some of DIR divers.

6. A good DIR instructors & DIR divers will not slack others, infact they will be very happy to share their experience & knowledge with others.

1. true but the price for their prices does not justify. other training agencies also ok what... besides of the course prices, "importing" them to m'sia to train us is another big amt. sorry, maybe i'm a poor diver.

3. same as no.1

i dive an Eclipse and some time i also do get senget. just balance of the air between you blader laa. if you weight distribution is uneven, by balancing the air will compensate for this.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#113  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:00 pm

Everything seems to be as clear as crystal when it comes to what is being taught to the beginners, but at the end I sense that it seems to boil down to the individual's common sense, which would only be good/reasonable sense if they are willing to do a little research, talk and inquire, seek advise and opinions from a range of sources, etc.

Guess this is why the forum plays a significant role...

So DIR is a guideline - an option which divers can choose to inculcate to whatever extent that is necessary based on their dive styles ???  [-(  Need someone to clarify this.

So its like a standard for food safety? Like u can choose HACCP or ISO9001 or ISO22000 or GMP++, it meets the objective but it depends on how stringent you want to make it.

Can someone provide me an analogy that best illustrates DIR and OW, other than the pictures SD showed re:apples (cute rec divers having fun) and oranges (tech diver with twins?). He lost me there...

OW: JPJ Class D driver.
DIR: A JPJ Class D driver who went for an Advance Driving Course.

But please note the 2 above are still not racing drivers...heh
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#114  Postby pröb » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:42 pm

SAMAEL @ Alfian Abdul Rahim wrote:
OW: JPJ Class D driver.
DIR: A JPJ Class D driver who went for an Advance Driving Course.

But please note the 2 above are still not racing drivers...heh

Attended an Advance Driving Course once and at the end of the day it was just akin to going to a refresher course. Just skills which I have already know and learned over the years of driving on public roads and goofing off on the tracks. (BT3 was more affordable back then compared to SIC  :icon_tongue: )

Since this thread surfaced, it's been an interesting read. From whatever limited reading I have about DIR, it just seem to me what DIR have instore are just skills any diver can pickup along the way. DIR emphasises bouyancy control...so the more dives you have, better it would be, equipment placement...always had them the same place

???
pröb
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#115  Postby aquaholic » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:07 am

Rather than having to choose between one school of thought over another, just compare the rationale behind each of the recommendation (whether kit config or diving practice), and use what makes most sense to you.

Be a thinking diver - Never follow blindly without understanding why  :D :D :D
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#116  Postby SuperKingKong® » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:23 am

i guess.. all in all, DIR is not that scary :P it all boils down to how they preach. and how u interprete it. eg, 2 ppl are selling the same products.. but only one of them will get the deal :P

actually, all agencies are the same in a way that.. they produce divers... GUE is not better, but they are trying to promote safety in a different way, eg, longhose and stuff. according to them, maybe diving accident happens in 2 out of 10 divers. they just don't want to be the 2 of them.

as for equipments, there are some guidelines on gue website, and they didn't say that one must use halcyon. dive rite, oxycheq, oms..etc.. as long as they falls within the "expectations"... then it would be fine.

it's all about the philosophy of it.. why this and why that.. all also have answers. as for types of equipments... why have to use this.. why have to use that... all also have answers to it... it's all becoz of safety.

i attended the intro to DIR-F course beginning of this month, well, actually it's not that bad :) i agreed with some of u.. if u can practise in the pool always.. ur buoyancy will be near perfection :) but there are more to it.... the way how u can be streamline underwater... how u should position urself... the way u kick ..etc

we attended the class session first.. about 1 hour... it's theory (explaining about GUE and courses.... and what to expect, and why we use bp/wing, longhose.. ow or caves) and practical (comfortable position.. on land and underwater) ... then we head down to the pool session... 45mins x 2. what we  have done.. we are videod down.

After the pool session, we headed back to the LDS. At the video session, we had the oppurtunity to "look" at ourselves.. how we performed underwater...listen to some critics.. and summary.

all in all.. it was an exciting day for all of us.

oh.. as for the renewable of GUE-F cert.. each diver has to perform 25 OW dives within 1 or 2 years :p ... i think it's a piece of cake for some of u guys :)

so, GUE-F is similar to intro to tech course from other agencies.. before one taking up some tech cources.
GUE-F is not only for technical diving.. they have 2 part within it.. but both also same thing. they will have higher expectations for divers planning to go into tec line.. as for rec divers.. as long as they perform within the expectation, then it's good enough. not everyone will "pass" on the first attempt. those who fail, they will be given 6 months to sit for it again...

as for some lousy DIR divers that some of u saw.. that one i'm not so sure.. maybe their "instructor" is not that strict gua :P but as for "normal" instructor, they do have to conform to their strict standard :)

and for some of the questions,

no, u don't "NEED" a canister light to be a DIR diver, it's only recommended. if u r going to carry a pistol grip or other light.. hanging on your chest d-ring... when u r horizontal.. the light will tend to "drop" down... again, streamline issue.

as for buddies... normally, recommended is 3 in a "team"... so, another safety issue.

as to diving with non-dir divers.. up to you. they can't "control" your life. another "safety" issue here.

they are just trying to aim for fail-proof community... and they are not condemning other agencies that their teaching is not safe, so don't think it that way :) they are the same, just that they are trying to make themself better.... :)

if u think they are good.. go ahead, your choice :)
the instructor says... if u r diving a longhose.. and if someone on the boat laugh at u and ask u why u need that.. no need to waste ur energy to answer him... :P if he asks u sincerely why, then only u explain to him the reason behind... :P
Last edited by SuperKingKong® on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#117  Postby Nizaha » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:49 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:i guess.. all in all, DIR is not that scary :P it all boils down to how they preached. eg, 2 ppl ae selling the same products.. but only one of them will get the deal :P

actually, all agencies are the same in a way that.. they produce divers... GUE is not better, but they are trying to promote safety in a different way, eg, longhose and stuff. according to them, maybe diving accident happens in 2 out of 10 divers. they just don't want to be the 2 of them.

as for equipments, there are some guidelines on gue website, and they didn't say that one must use halcyon. dive rite, oxycheq, oms..etc.. as long as they falls within the "expectations"... then it would be fine.

it's all about the philosophy of it.. why this and why that.. all also have answers. as for types of equipments... why have to use this.. why have to use that... all also have answers to it... it's all becoz of safety.

i attended the intro to DIR-F course beginning of this month, well, actually it's not that bad :) i agreed with some of u.. if u can practise in the pool always.. ur buoyancy will be near perfection :) but there are more to it.... the way how u can be streamline underwater... how u should position urself... the way u kick ..etc

we attended the class session first.. about 1 hour... it's theory (explaining about GUE and courses.... and what to expect, and why we use bp/wing, longhose.. ow or caves) and practical (comfortable position.. on land and underwater) ... then we head down to the pool session... 45mins x 2. what we  have done.. we are videod down.

After the pool session, we headed back to the LDS. At the video session, we had the oppurtunity to "look" at ourselves.. how we performed underwater...listen to some critics.. and summary.

oh.. as for the renewable of GUE-F cert.. each diver has to perform 25 OW dives within 1 or 2 years :p ... i think it's a piece of cake for some of u guys :)

so, GUE-F is similar to intro to tech course from other agencies.. before one taking up some tech cources.
GUE-F is not only for technical diving.. they have 2 part within it.. but both also same thing. they will have higher expectations for divers planning to go into tec line.. as for rec divers.. as long as they perform within the expectation, then it's good enough. not everyone will "pass" on the first attempt. those who fail, they will be given 6 months to sit for it again...

as for some lousy DIR divers that some of u saw.. that one i'm not so sure.. maybe their "instructor" is not that strict gua :P but as for "normal" instructor, they do have to conform to their strict standard :)

no, u don't "NEED" a canister light to be a DIR diver, it's only recommended. if u r going to carry a pistol grip or other light.. hanging on your chest d-ring... when u r horizontal.. the light will tend to "drop" down... again, streamline issue.

as for buddies... normally, recommended is 3 in a "team"... so, another safety issue.

as to diving with non-dir divers.. up to you. they can't "control" your life. another "safety" issue here.

they are just trying to aim for fail-proof community... and they are not condemning other agencies that their teaching is not safe, so don't think it that way :) they are the same, just that they are trying to make themself better.... :)

the instructor says... if u r diving a longhose.. and if someone on the boat laugh at u and ask u why u need that.. no need to waste ur energy to answer him... :P if he asks u sincerely why, then only u explain to him the reason behind... :P

Well put Skk..

Have you complete the entire course yet? I attending my course August, I been practice alots..

Safe diving
Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#118  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:59 am

Nizaha wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:i guess.. all in all, DIR is not that scary :P it all boils down to how they preached. eg, 2 ppl ae selling the same products.. but only one of them will get the deal :P

Well put Skk..

Have you complete the entire course yet? I attending my course August, I been practice alots..

Safe diving
Zaha

it happened that a LDS near my place is organising the intro.... so i went to try it out.. it turned out to be not bad :)

but they have scheduled the actual DIR-F course end of May, so, i might not be able to join, since probably i'll be back in KL.
Maybe in June or July :P

it's a 4-day course... 9-5 .. could be more ..

until... when u sleep also u'll think of the posture and bouyancy :P  :D
cheers...
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#119  Postby Snafu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:08 am

Any new feedback on DIR courses??

Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#120  Postby Nizaha » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:35 am

Syed.. I think he's missing in action!!

Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Diving