MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Heliox as deco gas?

Heliox as deco gas?

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out moreā€¦..

Heliox as deco gas?

Post Number:#1  Postby Sicko » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:40 am

Hi guys,

anyone diving trimix use heliox(instead of EAN50) as their deco gas?

In theory, as helium is a fast gas, it should be able to cut down on the amount of time spent on deco as compared to Nitrox.

I know helium is expensive so let's leave the costs out for this discussion ya..............am only interested in discussion on deco theory........... ;)
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Re: Heliox as deco gas?

Post Number:#2  Postby Snafu » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:17 am

Sicko wrote:
In theory, as helium is a fast gas, it should be able to cut down on the amount of time spent on deco as compared to Nitrox.

I know helium is expensive so let's leave the costs out for this discussion ya..............am only interested in discussion on deco theory........... ;)

Helium is a fast gas so it could load more in the body as compare to nitrogen, so dont you think it might take longer time to decompress as compare to Nitrogen.....  [-( I am guessing here.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heliox as deco gas?

Post Number:#3  Postby Sicko » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:03 pm

Well.............from what I found out, there's 2 schools of thought on this subject.

1 is saying that He loads faster into the body and takes longer to difuse out as compared to N2. Thus increasing deco time.

The other advocates that He, being less dense, loads and difuses faster thus decreasing deco time. He is also a less soluable gas so there is less inert gas loading.

I could not find any dependable publications on the subject matter at this point in time.

So since there are some experienced comercial and tech divers in this forum, I thought this might be a good place to gather some feedback?
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author

Return to Technical Diving