MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - De-Compression

De-Compression

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

De-Compression

Post Number:#1  Postby evo5555 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:45 pm

Just to ask all the sifus, since we have so many sifus around here, that is highly skilled technical divers with many formulae and also some commercial diver(air and also saturated diver. I learnt this from one commercial diver,hehe).

This thing happens during my dive with fellow friends recently.  1st dive we have already spent aroudn 30 minutes at 22m and few minutes to deco. WE ascend slowly and do slightly longer stops at 5-6m.  Second dive we were at the wreck, taking pictures and stuff, and 20 minutes after that found out that we are at 30m, 0 min to deco. Means we are goin into deco.  Immediately we ascend slowly at our computer safe rate to do our safety stop and surface.

Most of us are trained through PADI or watsover body, but i beleive they do not teach what to do during decompression.

So, what do we do if we are in deco as shown by our computer?  you go up? go to what depth? what do you at depth? And should you trust what your computer is asking you to do? What is your computer calculating?
Last edited by evo5555 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evo5555

Topic author

Re: De-Compression

Post Number:#2  Postby ikan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:24 pm

Am no sifu (far from it indeed) but just to respond to Evo q ...

What to do during deco ... lepak laaa, maintain the depth with 1-2 m margin or error ... take picture, fool around with the fish, with the sand, rock, corals or whatever is around u during that time just to keep yourself occupied ...

The computer will tell you what depth to go and how long to deco  ;D ...

The computer will be calculating the time it takes for your body to outgas the saturated bubbles formed in your body to prevent it from entering the blood vessels ...

Trust .... hmmmm .. to me scuba diving is equipment orientated sports, if you cannot trust your equipment, are going to be one helluva of a nervous wreck scuba diver and that is also why maintaining your equipment as important as maintaining your health. If your equipment is well maintained, 95% chances that it is in good condition, and that gives 95% chances that it is going to be a good dive ...  ;D

my 2 bubble worth ...

regards.
ikan

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:19 pm

PADI and other recreational dive agencies state that if you deco for not more than 5 minutes, you must do a deco stop at 5m for 8 minutes and not dive for 6 hours.  If you exceed the NDL by more than 5 minutes then do a 15-minute stop at 5m and not dive for 24 hours.

Very safe.

However, some of us believe that by going straight up to 5m from whatever depth will not stabilize the bubbles in your system. Providing you have ample supply of air, go up to half of your deepest depth. If your max depth was 30m, start your stops at 15m for one minute. Creep your way up at a rate of 3m/minute to 12m for another one minute stop. Then when you hit 9m or less than 2 ATA, do longer stops. Here, I'd normally do for three minutes, then at 6m I do 6 minutes, and at 3m I do 12 minutes. From 3m to the surface will take me 3 minutes (1m/minute ascent rate).

That way, IMO, the bubble may not fizz as much as shooting straight up to 5m, and will allow for better off-gassing.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby spazm » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:22 am

Will wana learn this..more..:)

Care to share over a hot cuppa coffee...:)
spazm

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:49 pm

Will wana learn this..more..:)

Care to share over a hot cuppa coffee...:)

When we go diving tomorrow...can practise with me
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby spazm » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:13 am

Boleh gak..:P..
spazm

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby bobo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:18 pm

coffee tak lupa la...  ;D
bobo