MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - DIN or Yoke?

DIN or Yoke?

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#1  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:26 am

hi guys,

normally in a tech diving... (in m'sia) ... what kind of reg do u use?
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#2  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:42 pm

DIN. Nuts to use yoke.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#3  Postby bijan » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:32 pm

SKK, FYI, this is what i gotten from google..

From Answers.com
The DIN/Yoke fittings determine how your 1st stage attaches to your air cylinder.  Yoke style regulators are the most common in the US, while DIN is very popular in Europe and other countries.  Reliability and maintenance are not at issue with DIN or Yoke fittings.  The difference lies in which type of cylinders you will be using.  The most common cylinder in the industry is an Aluminum 80, and these almost always have yoke valves on them.  However, if you plan on using any High Pressure cylinder(ie HP 80 or HP 100)you will need a DIN style 1st stage.

There is an easy way around all of this.  If you think you will almost never use HP cylinders, just get a yoke style regulator.  If you know you will always be using HP cylinders with DIN valves, get a DIN style regulator.  OK  now the hard part, if you aren't sure or think you will be diving with both styles on a regular basis, you have 2 choices:

First, get a DIN style regulator and a yoke adaptor.  This is an adaptor that screws onto the threaded part of the DIN style 1st stage, basically converting it into a yoke style. This type of adaptor can be screwed on by hand, but is kind of bulky if you use yoke valve cylinders most of the time.

Second, you can buy a yoke style regulator, and purchase a separate DIN adaptor.  The DIN adaptor will replace the yoke part of the 1st stage on a semi-permanent basis.  This type of adaptor should be installed by a qualified repair tech at a full service SCUBA shop, but it's a quick change out.


From Scubaboard.com
Almost certainly you learned to dive with a Yoke fitting. A simple horseshoe shaped clamp with a single large screw to hold the first stage of your regulator against the oring. Some sites and operators call this the "International" fitting. Commonest type to buy or rent.
But if you intend to do technical or higher risk diving, caving etc then there is a more reliable, and more expensive option, the DIN fitting which screws into the tank valve. Using DIN the risk of an oring blowout is supposed to be much lower and it is also supposed to be rated for higher pressures.
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
User avatar
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2609
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#4  Postby bijan » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:38 pm

"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
User avatar
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2609
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#5  Postby aquaholic » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:26 pm

DIN pun ada DIN panjang dan DIN pendek. Make sure you choose DIN panjang  :D 
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:08 am
Location: KL
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#6  Postby mocha » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:34 pm

aquaholic wrote:DIN pun ada DIN panjang dan DIN pendek. Make sure you choose [glow=red,2,300]DIN panjang  [/glow] :D 


sounds like my former skool-mate...oppsss sorry off topic but just cant help it la....hehehe
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
User avatar
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2589
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:39 am
Location: KL
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#7  Postby Nizaha » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:37 pm

Hey gangs


Overhere we use High pressure steel tank to 4500 rated ( 300 bar) for technical or single diving, Din valve way to go. I just assemble my new set of Alu double with 200 bar manifold. I think that work perfectly. But I double the bust disk to 5000psi rates. I just remove the insert, thro out to the bin and use DIN for my both reg.

Safe diving

Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: lake Dore,Ontario, Canada
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#8  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:58 pm

hi bijan,

thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure in msia. But I know that, throughout the world, they use DIN, especially for tech diving.

As for malaysia, since i'm not sure, and i have not seen any of those shops have DIN tanks.. so, thought i would like to ask on the forum.

so, for tech diving in m'sia, is it not every shops providing tech diving facility?
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#9  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:01 am

aquaholic wrote:DIN pun ada DIN panjang dan DIN pendek. Make sure you choose DIN panjang  :D 


i supposed that the one they differenciate it by 200bar and 300 bar.. am i right?
Last edited by SuperKingKong® on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#10  Postby Nizaha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:06 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:hi bijan,

thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure in msia. But I know that, throughout the world, they use DIN, especially for tech diving.

As for malaysia, since i'm not sure, and i have not seen any of those shops have DIN tanks.. so, thought i would like to ask on the forum.

so, for tech diving in m'sia, is it not every shops providing tech diving facility?



B&J In Tioman use Din valve for Nitrox tank and dual tank for ages

Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: lake Dore,Ontario, Canada
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#11  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:40 am

thanks for the info, nizaha :)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#12  Postby aquaholic » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:13 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
aquaholic wrote:DIN pun ada DIN panjang dan DIN pendek. Make sure you choose DIN panjang  :D 


i supposed that the one they differenciate it by 200bar and 300 bar.. am i right?


Yes, the one with the longer thread is 300bar. DIN tank valve/manifold is rated at either 300bar or 200bar. You just need to make sure your reg has the longer DIN thread, and this can be used for both 300 or 200 bar tanks. The shorter DIN thread cannot form a perfect seal on 300bar tank valve/manifold.

Similarly, a 200bar DIN filling whip cannot fill a 300bar tank valve/manifold. So not only you have to worry about where to do DIN fills in malaysia, but also whether they provide 300bar filling whip. Like zaha said B&J is one of the places that provide DIN fills. I know they use 300bar filling whip because they can fill my 300 bar manifold on my S80 twinset (but not sure whether their compressor can actually fill to 300bar).

All is not lost, I have a nifty Yoke-to-DIN 300bar filling adapter (not easily available in the malaysian market). This solves all my tank fill problems, even on liveaboards.
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:08 am
Location: KL
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#13  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:42 am

aquaholic wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
aquaholic wrote:DIN pun ada DIN panjang dan DIN pendek. Make sure you choose DIN panjang  :D 


i supposed that the one they differenciate it by 200bar and 300 bar.. am i right?


Yes, the one with the longer thread is 300bar. DIN tank valve/manifold is rated at either 300bar or 200bar. You just need to make sure your reg has the longer DIN thread, and this can be used for both 300 or 200 bar tanks. The shorter DIN thread cannot form a perfect seal on 300bar tank valve/manifold.

Similarly, a 200bar DIN filling whip cannot fill a 300bar tank valve/manifold. So not only you have to worry about where to do DIN fills in malaysia, but also whether they provide 300bar filling whip. Like zaha said B&J is one of the places that provide DIN fills. I know they use 300bar filling whip because they can fill my 300 bar manifold on my S80 twinset (but not sure whether their compressor can actually fill to 300bar).

All is not lost, I have a nifty Yoke-to-DIN 300bar filling adapter (not easily available in the malaysian market). This solves all my tank fill problems, even on liveaboards.


thanks for the info....
do u guys often use S80 for those diving?...
do u use alu80 for tech diving? thanks.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#14  Postby aquaholic » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:07 pm

In malaysia S80s are about the only tanks that you can get from dive centres. Typically the fitted tank valve is DIN for nitrox and Yoke for air. All S80 are alu with 207bar working pressure (see Luxfer website for more specs)

I don't think tech diving dictates which tanks you should use other than you should have the right and sufficient amount of gas, and enough bouyancy in your BCD at all times. I have seen twin 7ltr steel @ 300bar, twin 10ltr steel @ 232bar, etc

However, proponents of DIR will tell you S80s (either for twin or stage) are the only way to go....I have some idea behind the reasoning but I will leave it to our DIR trained members to explain why

p/s - you can use tank valve inserts to convert DIN to Yoke....but I'm not sure if all tank inserts are the same and are interchangable
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:08 am
Location: KL
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#15  Postby Scorpenesub » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Just asking a silly question here... Is it safe to use a yoke to din adaptor for nitrox diving. Since Sea Demon says its nuts to use yoke....My normal regulator is yoke but I have a din adaptor for nitrox tanks.
Stealth is success
User avatar
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#16  Postby dp » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:18 pm

scorpenesub wrote:Just asking a silly question here... Is it safe to use a yoke to din adaptor for nitrox diving. Since Sea Demon says its nuts to use yoke....My normal regulator is yoke but I have a din adaptor for nitrox tanks.




Valid question, Scorpenesub.

IMO, it is safer to dive deep using a din as you will be eliminating/reducing the weak link - thats between your first stage and the tank valve. As we all know, the greater the depth, the more pressure your scuba unit have to endure, thus the increaswing the possibilities of them malfunctioning.

(which is also why we see depth ratings on some equipments)

Not to mention, you wouldnt want it to fail when doing deep dives when the CESA is not an option.

To answer your question, the MODs of Nitrox is well within recreational depths. Hence I am assuming that it would be relatively safe use a din adaptor (tho not encouraged).

However, there are more experienced and qualified sifus in here who would be in a better position to answer ur query.

:)
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Saigon
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#17  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:35 pm

aquaholic wrote:In malaysia S80s are about the only tanks that you can get from dive centres. Typically the fitted tank valve is DIN for nitrox and Yoke for air. All S80 are alu with 207bar working pressure (see Luxfer website for more specs)

I don't think tech diving dictates which tanks you should use other than you should have the right and sufficient amount of gas, and enough bouyancy in your BCD at all times. I have seen twin 7ltr steel @ 300bar, twin 10ltr steel @ 232bar, etc

However, proponents of DIR will tell you S80s (either for twin or stage) are the only way to go....I have some idea behind the reasoning but I will leave it to our DIR trained members to explain why

p/s - you can use tank valve inserts to convert DIN to Yoke....but I'm not sure if all tank inserts are the same and are interchangable


thanks for the answer... but i have a question... probably it sounds stupid to u or others, but i have no idea abt it..

what is the difference between al80 and s80? :P

thanks for being patience with this newbie :)
Last edited by SuperKingKong® on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#18  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:42 pm

scorpenesub wrote:Just asking a silly question here... Is it safe to use a yoke to din adaptor for nitrox diving. Since Sea Demon says its nuts to use yoke....My normal regulator is yoke but I have a din adaptor for nitrox tanks.




correct me if i'm wrong... there isn't such adaptor (which u can easily plug an adaptor to convert your yoke reg to din reg.

this kind of converter.. to convert from yoke to din, is semi-permanent, u'll need to "take your 1st stage apart" or take out the yoke adaptor, and screw in this DIN adaptor. after that, u have a DIN reg.

and yes, it is safe... this is how other ppl convert their Yoke Reg to DIN Reg...

eg of how it looks like...

Image
Last edited by SuperKingKong® on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#19  Postby Scorpenesub » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:21 am

Hi SKK,

Yup, you have the right adaptor that I recently acquired. Was wondering if it was safe to install after Sea Demon's comment.
Stealth is success
User avatar
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#20  Postby SuperKingKong® » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:38 am

scorpenesub wrote:Hi SKK,

Yup, you have the right adaptor that I recently acquired. Was wondering if it was safe to install after Sea Demon's comment.


when u want to install this, it's not about safe or not safe.

If u want to use your yoke reg with a din tank, you will have to plug in this guy, and then your yoke reg will become a din reg.

it's up to u whether u want to dive DIn tanks or yoke tanks :) u have a choice now :) about SD comments, i think he is more refering to deep/tech dives... as mentioned by deepblu, it's ok to dive with yoke tanks within recreational limit (air/nitrox) ... that's what a lot... most ppl do in this work... millions of them using yoke.. for rec purpose .. that's why it's so popular :)

for deeper/tech dives... u might want to consider DIN :)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#21  Postby HoleMaster » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:08 am

My response in using DIN fittings for technical dives.
-They are safer, the 'O' ring is trapped inside the fitting and it is very difficult for it to squeeze out.
- It is neater and more streamlined, there is not a large screw knob sitting on top of your cylinder which might tangle ropes and etc in an overhead environment

Due to the above and from what ive read from sources, its more superior than the Yoke fitting. Its just that all of the tanks that we see uses Yoke tank valve. As such it is inconvenient to dive using DIN for recreational diving/nitrox.

Cheers!
Rilek la bai...agak2 la diving. Kang tersekat kat lubang susah plak
HoleMaster
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:50 am
Location: Kay Yell
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#22  Postby Scorpenesub » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:03 am

SuperKingKong® wrote:
scorpenesub wrote:Hi SKK,

Yup, you have the right adaptor that I recently acquired. Was wondering if it was safe to install after Sea Demon's comment.

when u want to install this, it's not about safe or not safe.

If u want to use your yoke reg with a din tank, you will have to plug in this guy, and then your yoke reg will become a din reg.
it's up to u whether u want to dive DIn tanks or yoke tanks :) u have a choice now :) about SD comments, i think he is more refering to deep/tech dives... as mentioned by deepblu, it's ok to dive with yoke tanks within recreational limit (air/nitrox) ... that's what a lot... most ppl do in this work... millions of them using yoke.. for rec purpose .. that's why it's so popular :)
for deeper/tech dives... u might want to consider DIN :)

Hi SKK,

Thanks for advice.
Stealth is success
User avatar
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Gender: None specified

Re: DIN or Yoke?

Post Number:#23  Postby SuperKingKong® » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:49 am

scorpenesub wrote:
SuperKingKong® wrote:
scorpenesub wrote:Hi SKK,

Yup, you have the right adaptor that I recently acquired. Was wondering if it was safe to install after Sea Demon's comment.

when u want to install this, it's not about safe or not safe.

If u want to use your yoke reg with a din tank, you will have to plug in this guy, and then your yoke reg will become a din reg.
it's up to u whether u want to dive DIn tanks or yoke tanks :) u have a choice now :) about SD comments, i think he is more refering to deep/tech dives... as mentioned by deepblu, it's ok to dive with yoke tanks within recreational limit (air/nitrox) ... that's what a lot... most ppl do in this work... millions of them using yoke.. for rec purpose .. that's why it's so popular :)
for deeper/tech dives... u might want to consider DIN :)

Hi SKK,

Thanks for advice.


no problem :) .. happy diving... :)
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Topic author
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified


Return to Technical Diving

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron