MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Skills For The Swimming Pool

Skills For The Swimming Pool

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

Skills For The Swimming Pool

Post Number:#1  Postby GOD » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:40 am

We have regular access to the [highlight]swimming pool [/highlight]for dive training so let not waste any valuable underwater time.

Lets use the swimming pool to learn new skills & sharpen the old training.

[highlight]SKILL NO. 1 - Buoyancy Control[/highlight]

We hear a lot of how good a diver is when comes to buoyancy control, facts is the moment they stop finning... they will SINK coz of being Negative buoyancy.

You will see divers towards the end of the dives, while doing safety stop are struggling ... most of the time with head facing down & finning to stay away from hitting the surface.... Positive Buoyancy.

A) Other then what you have learned on achieving neutral bouyancy ... you can DO Bouyancy Check in the pool with 30-50 bar cylinder pressure...do it towards the end of the dive.

B) Practise hovering mid water without having to fin yourself for 5 minutes...[highlight]Monitor The Depth Gauge[/highlight]

C) Get to know your equipment to find the best underwater trim, [highlight]START[/highlight] shifting your weights around.

D) Be friendly with your inflator, start adding & removing air from your BCs so you will know how fast your inflator can inflate & release air.

E) Learn to count your [highlight]INhale & EXhale [/highlight]in seconds so if you start shallow breathing you can do the counting & correct your breathing tempo...you will learn how to breath properly underwater.

Would be good if you have buddy with you to practise this together.... to make it more interesting you can ......  ;) do [highlight]OUT OF AIR [/highlight]drill while MID water, not at the bottom like how you are trained to do so when taking your open water course.

Most of the time [highlight]OUT OF AIR [/highlight]situation happens while being mid water so lets do all skills at mid water.

;D

4 Skills To Go
GOD

Topic author

Re: Skills For The Swimming Pool

Post Number:#2  Postby simoncsm » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:31 am

thanks bro to teaching the Skill  :D
simoncsm

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby HoleMaster » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:12 am

Thanks for sharing Snafu. All of them are true and yes the best practice would start from the pool ;)
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby zimm » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:28 pm

also a place for u to try & use ur new gear eg. fin or bc b4 going for the actual dive trip :P :P :P
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby matzahar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Sir.. .. Is a 5m deep pool (PISA - Penang) sufficient to practise bouyancy/hoovering?
matzahar

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby mocha » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:47 pm

yeap definitely...5m is sufficient..... :)
Last edited by mocha on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby nazir4321 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:55 pm

good tips, should take note on this practice

-always have a problem with my weight positioning
nazir4321

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby bobo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:08 pm

err. i tot i post some question here early this evening what happened..??? missing aaa.. IT mod... HELPPP!!!...

Anyway, i ask again la...

can we do buoyancy check at pool i.e fresh water and applied it to the saltwater....???

if kenot, is there anyway or formulas for the diver have to do (kira they dun want to do again at the salt water la) for them to adapt the check at saltwater.

;)

(IT mod dun deleta aaa...  :D)
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby mocha » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:17 pm

bro,
there was some kinda glitch this evening...some post went missing.... :P i lost a PM as well... but luckily i read it already....
back to topic...i was told to add 1kg to compensate on the difference between sea and fresh water density.... it is just a rough estimation la....tried and it works fine for me...
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby HoleMaster » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:01 pm

What mocha said is true. Ive always applied that principle ie 1 less weight at the pool. The reason behind that is bcoz seawater is more dense that pool water (fresh water). To be exact 1 litre of seawater weighs 1.03kg whereas freshwater weighs 1 kg.

If u can recall, one of the basics (not maths formula) to ensure proper weighting is to check at the surface. Release all the air from ur BCD and breathe in. If the water is at ur eye level then ur weighting is OK. If u sink, ur over weight and if float under weight. Therefore u should add/minus ur weights accordingly
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:11 pm

His Supreme Holeyness MUW's Most Macho Moderator has spoken.

HAIL! HAIL! HAIL!  ;D

When you speak very the good one...I lazy to story la.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby bobo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:33 pm

What mocha said is true. Ive always applied that principle ie 1 less weight at the pool. The reason behind that is bcoz seawater is more dense that pool water (fresh water). To be exact 1 litre of seawater weighs 1.03kg whereas freshwater weighs 1 kg.

If u can recall, one of the basics (not maths formula) to ensure proper weighting is to check at the surface. Release all the air from ur BCD and breathe in. If the water is at ur eye level then ur weighting is OK. If u sink, ur over weight and if float under weight. Therefore u should add/minus ur weights accordingly

hehehehe... (bait la SD...)

ok anyway.... ur are right and that is the way of proper weighting... when we do it at the pool it will be different from the salts... but what if i have a new wetsuit and bringing down my 6kg (on land) camera with it...???

and yes i have to reduce the weight (including the fat hehehe) but what if i lost the camera and i'm at the middle of no where at sea..???

any way that i still can achieve neutral buoyancy without the extra camera weight and 50bar of air in the tank..?? any formula to calculate..??

;)
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby bobo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:34 pm

hehe one more, how do know we are using the 1kg weight or 1lb weight???

;)
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby maltymouse » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:37 pm

also a place for u to try & use ur new gear eg. fin or bc b4 going for the actual dive trip :P :P :P

Agree with zimm,  so you will familiar with your new equipment especially BC and regulator.
Last edited by maltymouse on Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maltymouse

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby HollowMan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:38 pm

err. i tot i post some question here early this evening what happened..??? missing aaa.. IT mod... HELPPP!!!...

Anyway, i ask again la...

can we do buoyancy check at pool i.e fresh water and applied it to the saltwater....???

if kenot, is there anyway or formulas for the diver have to do (kira they dun want to do again at the salt water la) for them to adapt the check at saltwater.

;)

(IT mod dun deleta aaa...  :D)

bobo bro ,

No changes were made at all on MOD. it was probably due to system migration today and furthermore the server was down twice...

Sorry OFF topic jab ..: ;D ;D ;D
HollowMan

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby bobo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:43 pm

john open up a topic here for pool sessions http://malaysianunderwater.com/Forums/Y ... ;start=6#6
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby GOD » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:54 pm

hehehehe... (bait la SD...)

ok anyway.... ur are right and that is the way of proper weighting... when we do it at the pool it will be different from the salts... but what if i have a new wetsuit and bringing down my 6kg (on land) camera with it...???

and yes i have to reduce the weight (including the fat hehehe) but what if i lost the camera and i'm at the middle of no where at sea..???

any way that i still can achieve neutral buoyancy without the extra camera weight and 50bar of air in the tank..?? any formula to calculate..??

;)

When You do weight check, make sure is done without your UW Camera.

If you drop your UW camera... you still can maintain your bouyancy by dumping air out of your BCs.

Problem is when you do your bouyancy check with your UW camera & when in danger you have to ditch your UW camera .... you will ended up straight to the surface & miss your safety stop or even your decompression stop.

As for the formula ... you need to look into the technical spec. of your equipment in order to work out the correct weight to carry with you.

Is all about achieving correct lift.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby jgshuwei » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:14 am

Basic Weight Guildline

Exposure Suit Type          Weight (kg)
3mm wetsuit               5% of total dry weight
5mm wetsuit              10% of total dry weight

Salt/Fresh Water Change

Total Dry Weight      Add (going to salt water) or subtract (going to fresh water) weight (kg)
45-56kg                   2kg
57-70kg                   2.3kg
71-86kg                   3kg
86-99kg                   3.2kg

Remark: Total dry weight is body + equipment weight.

I know most of the members here know about all these, I'm just practicing my typing here...
:P :P :P

Reference : PADI Adventure in Diving Manual, Chapter Peak Performance Buoyancy, page213
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby GOD » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:44 am

[highlight]Bobo[/highlight].... As for the weight being use, please check with the dive centre for correct information

[highlight]Jgshuwei[/highlight] .....Thanks for the reference.

Remember divers, all this can be done in [highlight]swimming pool & is cheaper [/highlight]then going for diving trip to practise.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby sharaths » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Thank you everyone, very informative...
sharaths

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby GOD » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:46 pm

Thank you everyone, very informative...

[highlight]For Divers By Divers[/highlight]

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby blue » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:55 pm

waaaa..goodla
will applying this during pool session this weekend. ;D
blue

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby adik » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks john and Snuffu for the infos!!
adik

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby GOD » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Any More Question??

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby GOD » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:27 am

Hope this help to improve our diving skill.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby najibest » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:57 am

Basic Weight Guildline

Salt/Fresh Water Change

Total Dry Weight      Add (going to salt water) or subtract (going to fresh water) weight (kg)

I know most of the members here know about all these, I'm just practicing my typing here...

Reference : PADI Adventure in Diving Manual, Chapter Peak Performance Buoyancy, page213

my total dry weight is out of range :( .... heh
najibest

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby MynN » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:17 am

Thank u for sharing. Very informative.  :)
MynN

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby lordnabil » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:38 am

Hi guys!!

very informative..  :)

as a new diver, i also have this buoyancy problem..  :(
the prob is more towards staying underwater...

btw, do u have pool session every weekend or what?!
lordnabil

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby jgshuwei » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:51 pm

Basic Weight Guildline

Salt/Fresh Water Change

my total dry weight is out of range :( .... heh

By ratio also can Bro. Me also out of range.  ;D ;D ;D
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby GOD » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:51 pm

Hi guys!!

very informative..  :)

as a new diver, i also have this buoyancy problem..  :(
the prob is more towards staying underwater...

btw, do u have pool session every weekend or what?!

Pool session is done every month ... do look out for it at our event calander or the topic of pool session.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Return to Technical Diving