MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Tasty Nitrox

Tasty Nitrox

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

Tasty Nitrox

Post Number:#1  Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:59 am

Hi to all the tech divers out there,

I have heard that nitrox, especially above 40% O2 has got a distinctive taste. You will know when you are breathing nitrox.

Is it true?

Some say it's got a "tangy" taste, some say the taste is "sharper"

So...........what do the techies here say?
Natasha

Topic author

Re: Tasty Nitrox

Post Number:#2  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:07 am

I do notice that taste when I do a gas switch at 21m from air. However, having breathed 100% from a medical O2 bank, I did not notice any stark difference. I did not notice the taste either when diving the CCR at 83% mix.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the O2-cleaned parts, lubes or O-rings that is giving that taste.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:48 am

I do notice that taste when I do a gas switch at 21m from air. However, having breathed 100% from a medical O2 bank, I did not notice any stark difference. [highlight]I did not notice the taste either when diving the CCR at 83% mix.[/highlight]

[highlight]I wonder if it has anything to do with the O2-cleaned parts, lubes or O-rings that is giving that taste.[/highlight]

The parts for the CCR should also be O2 cleaned. Since there's no noticeable taste when diving the CCR. I would think that it's not due to the O2 cleaning or lubes.

IMHO, I think the difference in taste might have come from the cylinders that is filled with normal air. This air is filled using the normal compressors and there may still be some contaminents that will find it's way into the cylinders. That's why compressed air taste different from atmospheric air.

When doing a gas switch at 22m, you are suddenly breathing from a "source that was prepared with a higher standard".(Cylinders & regs are free from contaminents like oil, dirt etc)
Thus, the different taste.

I'm no expert. But would like to discuss & hear from others........from this, I think we can all learn.........    :)
Natasha

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:52 am

But that doesn't explain the non-noticeable difference while breathing from the medical kit's O2...then again it went through the nostrils...then again you could be right about the tanks. Now...how about the CCR?
Last edited by SeaDemon on Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby leafbug » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi to all the tech divers out there,

I have heard that nitrox, especially above 40% O2 has got a distinctive taste. You will know when you are breathing nitrox.

Is it true?

Some say it's got a "tangy" taste, some say the taste is "sharper"

So...........what do the techies here say?

I think different people have different levels or thresholds of sensivity. But tasting on tongue, I doubt it cause the tongue IMO would only show the effects of dryness or not (of the air), we have no receptors for oxygen on our tongue... and from what I heard/read it's the after diving effect that they don't feel as fatigue as diving on air... and this one, makes more sense.

p/s : and I've not breathed EAN more that 36% mix while diving so I have not much idea about it.. though breathing the 100% O2 on land was kinda cool :)
Last edited by leafbug on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leafbug

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby GOD » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:18 pm

Nowdays O2 have a light flavor in it.... MOX & Air Product would be able to explain on this matter.

Maybe is to let the user know that they are using O2.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:43 pm

But that doesn't explain the non-noticeable difference while breathing from the medical kit's O2...then again it went through the nostrils...then again you could be right about the tanks. Now...how about the CCR?

Well.............breathing from CCR is like breathing from medical O2 kits. both are O2 cleaned.

When breathing from air cylinders, you got used to the taste(due to contaminents). When you switch to EANx, suddenly, the taste of the contaminents are gone, but since you are used to the taste of compressed air already, you start to think that nitrox has a taste.

My rational : on the surface, breathe atmospheric air. Then suck from a regulator containing compressed air. You will notice a difference in taste.

Anyone still knows what I'm talking about?   ;D
Natasha

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Natasha » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:46 pm

Nowdays O2 have a light flavor in it.... MOX & Air Product would be able to explain on this matter.

Maybe is to let the user know that they are using O2.

;D

I was not aware that they added flavours to O2.

But I do know that some flavours are added to helium & nitrous oxide to prevent abuse.....

But then..........what do I know?.........
Natasha

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby GOD » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:58 pm

I was not aware that they added flavours to O2.

But I do know that some flavours are added to helium & nitrous oxide to prevent abuse.....

But then..........what do I know?.........

Eh bro ... call Air Product & find out... they have diving O2 & diving Helium

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby nizaha » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:59 pm

You right SD.

i flet more when i breath 50% or higher..

safe diving..

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:00 am

Well.............breathing from CCR is like breathing from medical O2 kits. both are O2 cleaned.

When breathing from air cylinders, you got used to the taste(due to contaminents). When you switch to EANx, suddenly, the taste of the contaminents are gone, but since you are used to the taste of compressed air already, you start to think that nitrox has a taste.

My rational : on the surface, breathe atmospheric air. Then suck from a regulator containing compressed air. You will notice a difference in taste.

Hehee...you're not by any chance talking about grass and home-made mini stoves with pipes are you? ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby Natasha » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:34 am

Hehee...you're not by any chance talking about grass and home-made mini stoves with pipes are you? ;D

hahaha..............No la bro.............. Get narced. Not drugs.............    :D
Natasha

Topic author

Return to Technical Diving