MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Malaysian Tech Diving

Malaysian Tech Diving

Intrigued & interested in diving mixed gas, decompression diving, multiple tanks? Drop in here to find out more…..

Malaysian Tech Diving

Post Number:#1  Postby BubbleBunny » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:19 pm

Hello to all the techies out there. Just wanted to find out on wreck dives in Malaysia. I've heard of HMS Repulse, Prince of Wales, 7 Skies, K17 and 016. I believe all of these wrecks are beyond the normal recreational limit and is more suited to teccies.

Has anyone here dived these wrecks? And how often do you usually dive them?

Recreational divers can easily dive normal sites in Tioman many times a year for example, but how often do you teccies dive these more advanced wreck sites? At greater depths, i would assume there is much less animal life to observe and much less light penetration, so what is your main motivation to dive? Is it the exploration factor, risk factor, sheer size of the wreck, etc?

Would love to hear your experiences on diving these sites that are out of reach for us reccies.  :D Maybe one day we will cross over to the 'dark side'  ;D
BubbleBunny

Topic author

Re: Malaysian Tech Diving

Post Number:#2  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:54 pm

Hahaha..only Snafu has dived them.  There are several more wrecks..the O-20, the Haguro, Myoko, Takao, Kuma, the Japanese subs, the Italian sub, the German sub, the American sub, HMS Banka, HMS Thanet, the Gyoshin Maru. These are just the WW2 wrecks that I am mentioning.

There is a WW2 wreck easily acessible to recreational divers: the Gyoshin Maru. The rest all involve decompression stops and cocktail gas mixes.

How many trips? To dive the PoW and Repulse, you can do it anytime during the East Coast dive season...however, the calmer and better months are in May/June and October. July can be pretty hairy as the warm weather powers typhoons in the South China Seas.

There's usually 2-4 trips by each tech dive center (not inclusive of private trips) to these wrecks.and you can do as many as 3 dives per day (with a minimum of 3 hours SIT) including night dives if you dare.

Currents can be strong and viz low. You'll be surprised at the number of animal life available at these wrecks, especially at the Repulse...batfish, cobias, leopard sharks, whale sharks are known to swim by there. Of course tech divers do not dive to see these things...whale sharks are mainly near the surface rather than at deeper depths.

If you ask me, the thrill is to see these magnificent time capsules. They're down there mostly as on the day they last saw the surface. You see the 15" guns, you can imagine its sailors sometimes climb into it to have their photos taken..or you can imagine it firing a one-ton shell hitting targets 35km away. You can see the anti-aircraft guns...some still pointing towards the "sky" as they did over 60 years ago. You look at the bomb hits...the torpedo damages...and you can feel the human aspect of it...how loud the bang probably was..how the sailors saw their bunkmates die...or what was their last memory of those trapped and died with the ship....and so on.

For me, I love history. And it kind of hits me when I see a great surface ship now lying on the sea bed by itself...a far cry from its glory days.

If you want to ask about penetrations, ask Holemaster...Macho King of Hole Penetrations. ;D
Last edited by SeaDemon on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby nizaha » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:21 pm

i see huges marble ray on the torpedo holes. !!! big ones.

Safe diving

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:23 pm

Safe diving

Zaha

Oh yeah..I remember one tech diver telling me about them rays. Zaha, maybe you can add why you like wrecks and tech diving and tell us.
Last edited by SeaDemon on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby scottycam » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:39 pm

anyone keen to get spare parts for their cars can try to dive the car carrier which sank off spore a few years ago....heard some sporean divers trying to acces this wreck...

23-05-2004

COLLISION BETWEEN TANKER AND CAR CARRIER

On 22 May 04, at about 2345 hrs, a collision between Panama-registered tanker, MT Kaminesan (GT 159813) and Panama-registered car carrier MV Hyundai No. 105 (GT 40772) took place at about 6 km south-east of Sentosa Island. At the time of the incident, the MV Kaminesan was transiting eastbound in the Singapore Strait and the MV Hyundai No.105 was transiting westbound in the Strait. The MV Kaminesan was loaded with 279,949 tonnes of crude oil and there were more than 4000 cars onboard the MV Hyundai No. 105.

Prior to the collision, warnings were given to the two vessels by the MPA's Vessel Traffic Information Service. The two vessels also communicated with each other.

The MV Kaminesan's port bow and forepeak tank were damaged. The Hyundai No. 105 also sustained damage on its port side with a hole measuring about 50 metres by 20 metres. Both vessels were anchored subsequently south of the Traffic Separation Scheme and away from the main shipping lane.

At about 0715 hours on 23 May 04, the MV Hyundai No. 105 sank. All the 20 crewmembers onboard the MV Hyundai No.105 were rescued. There was no injury to crewmembers of both vessels.

Port operations and vessel traffic remain unaffected. Navigational broadcasts have been issued to inform ships to keep clear of the sunken vessel. As a precaution, anti-pollution craft would continue to monitor and clean up any oil. The MPA will be investigating the incident.

End of Release

unquote
scottycam

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby scottycam » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 pm

Exact posn is Lat 01deg 13.32minN , 103 deg 57.70min East, location is marked with a buoy with flashing lights (2 times every 5 seconds)

Last edited by scottycam on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scottycam

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby nizaha » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:13 pm

Safe diving

Zaha

Oh yeah..I remember one tech diver telling me about them rays. Zaha, maybe you can add why you like wrecks and tech diving and tell us.

Yo bud !!

actually i do more tech diving here in Canada then in Malaysia.

Yes i been to this wreck. unpredictable conditions, amazing marine life and diving conditions aswell. all i can say..funny is i just see those ray hidden around torpedo holes at 48mtr.. i got you!!! i'm not really looking animal i'm more intrested about the damage structure .
I'm not really dive alots at repulse and not POW actually never have a changes to dive there before. Maybe 8 dive in Repulse before i move to Canada. No times for tech diving since i work my butt off in tioman to make my customer happy those days. 8-) But I do alots of tech diving in wreck around Great Lake almost every 2 week right now in cold and dark here with diferrent mix dunno why maybe i get more comfortable diving in cold and dark water.
For sure when i back to Malaysia i'm gonna dive at both wreck often and get familiar with this wreck.

Safe diving

Zaha
Last edited by Nizaha on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby GOD » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:57 pm

Technical Diving ... is just another transport to get to my divesite.

Yes is extended bottom time, with deco .. [highlight]hey is still diving [/highlight]& as you already know, decompression table are just theory... so be very careful.

[highlight]Divers get bend doing technical or recreational [/highlight].... it happen, do accept the facts about diving, if you just unlucky or pushing your luck...[highlight]is the risk we all take [/highlight]let it be shallow or deep.

Hmmmm ...Yes I have been to some of the WW2 wrecks, shallow & deep ... even the old minesweeper that RMN use as target. Is wonderful having to be at dive site which so few are able to reached.

Guam...[highlight]Truk Lagoon[/highlight].... behind my house...Saipan...Palau... [highlight]my bath tub[/highlight]....etc.

I am not historian... I just like to see wrecks, no interest with marine life & had enough of looking at Fisherman wreck...all looks the same... I need a change, I need to see something different...something UNIQUE with STORIEs behind it, something new for me to learn...the next step in diving for me that is.

[highlight]I need transport to get there [/highlight]... to visit the site, my transportation are [highlight]Technical Diving [/highlight]... nothing really technical about it, is just like learning Open Water...after awhile you get use to it.

As I decend, I see the shadow ... I see the shape .... as I get closer, I realise how small I am compare to it, cant see the bow or the stern, long way to travel with so little time ... I can even hear my own hearbeat, is just silent.. compact ... [highlight]wonderful feeling[/highlight].

Progress safely in diving, dont rush into it ... learn & practise.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby nizaha » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:00 am

Also technical diving not for everyone !!  Build up your muscle memories 1st. Don't be cheap, because when you step to dark side you never turning back ! waste time and money !

I think get more diving exprienced 1st before you think about technical diving.

Safe diving

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:02 am

I would like to add: do more recreational deep dives. Down to 30 meters. Manage your narcosis properly. You may think that everything is well there. Do some quiz or puzzle...or simply write a story onto your slate and see if you can comprehend what you have written when you are back at the surface. Some people simply go off tangent when they go deeper...especially if they have been working their muscles a lot (swimming to target or depth) when they think they're fine. Narcosis, like bends, is equally dangerous. It's like driving when you're totally drunk.

Which brings me to one puzzling point: why do dive guides at Sipadan take their divers charging at hammerheads when they've already busted the recreational depth limit of 30m? :-/ >:( :o
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby GOD » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:54 am

Which brings me to one puzzling point: why do dive guides at Sipadan take their divers charging at hammerheads when they've already busted the recreational depth limit of 30m? :-/ >:( :o

Because they CAN  ;) ... as most [highlight]recreational divers [/highlight]somewhere along the line would have done decompression diving using the dive computer.

Who is going to stop anyone from going deep or busting NDL .... nobody.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby BubbleBunny » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like a totally different world from reef diving. Can't be only Snafu diving all these wrecks in Malaysia. :o I thought there were many more teccies out there.

I'm trying to rationalise other's love for wrecks with my own love for reefs. Somehow, there's not (yet) enough motivation for me to go down to deeper depths and taking greater risks. Demon's a history freak. I'm not too crazy about history. Just check my highschool history grades.  ::) After reading the book The Last Dive, about the father and son tech dive team, I understand that many teccies have the urge to explore wrecks because they collect relics from the past (i.e. pillaging for priceless artefacts). Are there anymore artefacts left in these Malaysian wrecks that can be found to put up on your pedestal?
BubbleBunny

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby wing0112 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:32 pm

i think the only obstruction for 1 to be teccie.. would be the cost lah... being a rec divers is barely ok for some of us.... but being a teccie... sounded like sighz................
wing0112

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby scottycam » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like a totally different world from reef diving. Can't be only Snafu diving all these wrecks in Malaysia. :o I thought there were many more teccies out there.

I'm trying to rationalise other's love for wrecks with my own love for reefs. Somehow, there's not (yet) enough motivation for me to go down to deeper depths and taking greater risks. Demon's a history freak. I'm not too crazy about history. Just check my highschool history grades.  ::) After reading the book The Last Dive, about the father and son tech dive team, I understand that many teccies have the urge to explore wrecks because they collect relics from the past (i.e. pillaging for priceless artefacts). Are there anymore artefacts left in these Malaysian wrecks that can be found to put up on your pedestal?

Some do it but never say it, some do it but dunno this forum....
scottycam

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby leafbug » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:16 pm

Because they CAN  ;) ... as most [highlight]recreational divers [/highlight]somewhere along the line would have done decompression diving using the dive computer.

;D

SD : the divemaster didn't take us deep, they're actually following to make sure that everything was okay and be near in case anything happen. 2 divemasters in each dive, one right in front, and one right behind the group... we're all in the middle.

Snafu : Well, IMHO... there's nothing wrong to do decompression dive using the computer, be it Suunto, Uwatec or VR3... unless we're talking about deep decompression diving using CCR which relying solely on computer is like pre-writing our death-wish on a slate. IMO, the general rule of thumb (other than narcosis and % accumulated O2 for cns tox) as long as we off-gas what we on-gas, we'd live to tell the tale. If I were to do long/deep decompression dive, I'd like to have a computer that'd assist me in deompressing, changing gas etc something that'd reduce room for me to make mistakes... something like what Suunto Vytec or Uwatec Smart-Z Pro could do, quite awesome though they don't have games like the VR3 la.

The only thing that's stopping me from doing deco dives a lot is my insurance coverage, because I declared that I'm a recreational diver :)
leafbug

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:16 pm

;D

Hehehe..if they keep doing that, one day they will stop themselves from diving...hehehe..permanently.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:26 pm

;D

SD : the divemaster didn't take us deep, they're actually following to make sure that everything was okay and be near in case anything happen. 2 divemasters in each dive, one right in front, and one right behind the group... we're all in the middle.

Hahahaha...self-confession :P :P :P

I wasn't talking about you and that group trip la. It was a friend we all know la, I won't mention name here. He followed...in the end the dive guide stopped and he kept on going until he was deeper than 50m...and very happily too.

He was narced. ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby leafbug » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:17 pm

;D

Hahahaha...self-confession :P :P :P

I wasn't talking about you and that group trip la. It was a friend we all know la, I won't mention name here. He followed...in the end the dive guide stopped and he kept on going until he was deeper than 50m...and very happily too.

He was narced. ;D

haha knew that you're not talking about us the recent sipadan group as our divemasters from borneo divers were excellent. splendid. even when some divers went to 40m++ (sometimes unintentional cuz the viz was superb) the DMs went the extra mile to take care of those divers down there even when they didn't have to.

50m and narced? well... divers will be divers. sapa tu? anyway, divers come in many sizes, shapes, finning style, air consumptions, tolerance level and attitudes... just as long as they know their limit and they know what they're up to, to divers, their own.

btw, met a little bajau laut girl named Noriko, doing perfect freediving without any fins nor masks... *sigh* these pulau people... they're just meant to be different than us. surely she'll be a great divemaster some day.
leafbug

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby nizaha » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:50 pm

;D

Snafu : Well, IMHO... there's nothing wrong to do decompression dive using the computer, be it Suunto, Uwatec or VR3... unless we're talking about deep decompression diving using CCR which relying solely on computer is like pre-writing our death-wish on a slate. IMO, the general rule of thumb (other than narcosis and % accumulated O2 for cns tox) as long as we off-gas what we on-gas, we'd live to tell the tale. If I were to do long/deep decompression dive, I'd like to have a computer that'd assist me in deompressing, changing gas etc something that'd reduce room for me to make mistakes... something like what Suunto Vytec or Uwatec Smart-Z Pro could do, quite awesome though they don't have games like the VR3 la.

The only thing that's stopping me from doing deco dives a lot is my insurance coverage, because I declared that I'm a recreational diver :)

Yo gangs

You on the boat and listen to guide for dive breifing max depth 30mtr , You in vacation at world class diving destination and you see 10mtr whales shark at 36mtr. who's  gonna stop when you start decend to 36mtr... DM or Instructor ??? screw them , i pay big $$$$ and i can't go that deep ??? this just example your poor judgement, if you still have this kind of behaviour. My suggestion is don't ever consider into technical diving if you can't follow simple rules. you not ready for techincal diving . Technical diving  all about consistent, dive planning ,team and having fun.

In technical diving we using bottom timer or changes comp mode to gauge mode.  normally I'm using deco software called V-planner. That all you need. transmitter for comp you don't need in techincal diving.

Since you still diving as recreational diving limit up to 30mtr-35 mtr, sure you can use the comp as your preferance. I suggest you get more practice about understanding deco,ceiling,off gasing, gas behaviour etc.  more diving you do better diver you're.

Safe diving

Zaha
Last edited by Nizaha on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby GOD » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:38 am

Snafu : Well, IMHO... there's nothing wrong to do decompression dive using the computer, be it Suunto, Uwatec or VR3... unless we're talking about deep decompression diving using CCR which relying solely on computer is like pre-writing our death-wish on a slate. IMO, the general rule of thumb (other than narcosis and % accumulated O2 for cns tox) as long as we [highlight]off-gas what we on-gas, we'd live to tell the tale[/highlight]. If I were to do long/deep decompression dive, I'd like to have a computer that'd assist me in deompressing, changing gas etc something that'd reduce room for me to make mistakes... something like what Suunto Vytec or Uwatec Smart-Z Pro could do, quite awesome though they don't have games like the VR3 la.

I must have miss this ... just saw it today, [highlight]sorry for the delay reply[/highlight].

Using our dive computer for decompression diving...hmmmmm our dive computer might be able to do decompression model but I wonder if our training & ability allows us to do decompression diving.

Diving within our limitation & progress by education ... there are no short cut to it  :)

[highlight]Deep or Shallow diving [/highlight]... dive within our limit & be good at it.

BTW .. Divers that [highlight]Ongassing & Offgassing [/highlight]do get bend or even death, look into the cause of DCS, Nitrogen & Helium  ;)

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:06 pm

The wiseth man speaketh 8-)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Return to Technical Diving