MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - SHOOTING VIDEO UNDERWATER

SHOOTING VIDEO UNDERWATER

To embed Youtube videos, just paste the video URL into a single line. Just the URL.

Re: SHOOTING VIDEO UNDERWATER

Post Number:#61  Postby Adzri » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:07 am

RoCKET wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
babyFiN wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:yup i agree.....next time we go down.....we ask babyFiN jadik model......baru la semangat sikit...hahahaha

emmmm !!! CAN ... BF are you game??

anything for u..  :D :D sure can la..props i have to bring myself ar? hehehee.. then the saying have to twist a bit la.. instead of 'the man behind the camera".. to "those behind and infrontof the camera"..  ;)
:angel8: :angel8: :angel8: props..?? hmmmm like different only....(lain macam je ni)

You dont have to bring props la BF, as long you are relax and cool will do . What the viewer want to see is a cool diver in thier TV screen, nothing more.

To me the problem of shooting talent is that divers are unpredictable. Very difficult to understand the pattern and behaviour UW. A good video must have a synergy between both the videographer and the talent.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

i'm sure babyFIN would do just fine.....she very talented one......hahahahhaha

:D :D :D :D :D
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#62  Postby babyFin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:08 am

RoCKET wrote:
babyFin wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
babyFiN wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:yup i agree.....next time we go down.....we ask babyFiN jadik model......baru la semangat sikit...hahahaha

anything for u..  :D :D sure can la..props i have to bring myself ar? hehehee.. then the saying have to twist a bit la.. instead of 'the man behind the camera".. to "those behind and infrontof the camera"..  ;)
:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:

props..?? hmmmm like different only....(lain macam je ni)

You dont have to bring props la BF, as long you are relax and cool will do . What the viewer want to see is a cool diver in thier TV screen, nothing more.

To me the problem of shooting talent is that divers are unpredictable. Very difficult to understand the pattern and behaviour UW. A good video must have a synergy between both the videographer and the talent.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

i'm sure babyFIN would do just fine.....she very talented one......hahahahhaha

:la: :la: :la: :la: :la:
hehehee..rocket oso notty ar.. :D

hahahah notty..?? i dont get what you are trying to say my dear..... :angel8: :angel8: ;)

wallao y u so like that, u start then u pretend to blur blur.. cheitt! pooorah..
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#63  Postby Adzri » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:16 am

babyFin wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
babyFiN wrote:
adik wrote:

wallaaa..to make presentation better and more exciting maa..  :D
and if thats the case, we have to hang out together gether more la, due to have a good understanding wit u..  ;)

BF ...You dont praypray ... rocket also a good videographer you know.

to me nothing more than a confortable UW talent will make a good video. Macha from Gypsy Divers to me a good talent. I can read his patern and I know where to position myself before I press the rec button. Maybe we have been diving together many times. So BF .. need to dive with more than  ;) ;) ;)
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#64  Postby Yan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:38 am

adik wrote:
babyFin wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
babyFiN wrote:
adik wrote:

and if thats the case, we have to hang out together gether more la, due to have a good understanding wit u..  ;)

to me nothing more than a confortable UW talent will make a good video. Macha from Gypsy Divers to me a good talent. I can read his patern and I know where to position myself before I press the rec button. Maybe we have been diving together many times. So BF .. need to dive with more than  ;) ;) ;)
haiyo adik....dont la say like that.....saya baru belajar....you master....me student...heheheheh not blur la babyFIN....just innocent...hahahahah
of all the things that i have lost....i miss my mind the most
Yan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#65  Postby Adzri » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:48 am

RoCKET wrote:
adik wrote:
babyFin wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
babyFiN wrote:
adik wrote:

haiyo adik....dont la say like that.....saya baru belajar....you master....me student...heheheheh not blur la babyFIN....just innocent...hahahahah

rocket ... we both still learning... heheheheh
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#66  Postby Nizaha » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:54 am

adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
adik wrote:
babyFin wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
babyFiN wrote:
adik wrote:

Me 2.
Adik have you done any HD shoot yet !?

Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#67  Postby Adzri » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:56 am

SeaDemon wrote:As you all would probably know by now, I use my Nikon Coolpix 4200 P&S camera to do my videos (my WP-CP2 UW housing is now unserviceable). It isn't exactly a good camera to use as it records only 15fps, so the editing phase comes in critical.

I like to do music videos, even out of trip videos, not the kind of videos that last half an hour with 6 background music playing in turn like some "kenduri kahwin" (wedding reception) videos. To me, videos like that make you lose the "oomph" momentum because your mood changes when the bgmusic changes.

So how do I begin? Firstly I have a collection of music that I would use as background music (bgmusic) that usually comes from the chill/club genre. The kind of music where people chill out at lounges sipping cocktail, martini and stuff. I listen to them all. Then I'll have two methods of doing the videos that I self-categorize (nothing to do with my PADI UW Videography Specialty):

CONSTRUCTION METHOD

In this method, I listen to the songs. And if there is any particular song that I like, I replay and try to visualize a scene. Once I am sure of what to use the music for, I reserve it just for that particular video. I will then re-run the music and do a mental storyboard of what shots are to be taken.

Next, I do a proper storyboard plus run-times. I like to switch scenes on the eighth-bar of the music. I still loe using fade-in/fade-out for video transitions because it is safe.

Once I have that, then I'll shoot the scenes whenever I go diving. I would shoot a minimum of 10 seconds for each scene and crop later during editing to suit the music. So you'll get a string of clips taken over a few trips. The clips that I cannot find the use for, I burn onto a CD and label as 'YET TO USE'. They may come in handy for other videos. Always have a label for each clip in Notepad format burnt together onto the same CD.

RECONSTRUCTION METHOD

This is when I go on a trip and make a video of that trip. I shoot whatever I can and think can be used. Then I go home, watch the rushes (clips), and listen to several songs. Once I find a song that may suit the mood, I arrange the clips according to the song.

The danger with this method is when you suddenly find that you do not have enough useable shots. For instance, the video I took of the Perhentian Ad-Hoc Trip 5-6 May 2007 was actually several clips short.  Remember, I change scenes on the eighth bar, so in one minute I need about 8 clips. So if you notice the last shot (luckily the scene was of Sugar Wreck) there was a Porcupine Puffer...and extended duration as well. That shot was taken in March 2007 when I went to Sugar Wreck with Mocha, Spazm and Ironore.

So there you have it...no magic stuff...and no method in my madness. But UW videography is the thing that has distracted me from doing UW Photography because I tell stories through videos better (I think).

Bro im having some dificulty in syncronize the clips & music. I can do it but take a longer time to make it perfect. Tell me how do you do it. I can say I cannot feel the tempo.
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#68  Postby Adzri » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:04 am

Nizaha wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
adik wrote:
babyFin wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
babyFiN wrote:
adik wrote:

Me 2.

Zaha

HD ... nope ... me stilll using the 3 CCD. HD is way out of my budget. Base on reviews I can say HD is the perfect format nowdays. I need to sell my proton to buy the HD camera and take intrakota to work everyday.

Why zaha??? dont tell me that you own one already!!!

Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#69  Postby Yan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:25 am

HD is the way to go....but alot of production houses and TV stations cant support the format yet....very expensive. plus you need a HD TV to enjoy the thru colours....i guess we have a long way to go.....
Yan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#70  Postby Adzri » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:53 am

RoCKET wrote:HD is the way to go....but alot of production houses and TV stations cant support the format yet....very expensive. plus you need a HD TV to enjoy the thru colours....i guess we have a long way to go.....

Bro ... can you eloborate more on this process . Im still blur when it come to post production (the sequence in transfering the tape to the machine) that make the production house and station unable to support HD to the viewers.
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#71  Postby Adzri » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:12 am

Nizaha wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
adik wrote:
babyFin wrote:
adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
babyFiN wrote:
adik wrote:

Me 2.

Zaha

Bubble beaver !!! Care to share some perspective in how to shoot a good video underwater.  ;) ;) ;) ;)
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#72  Postby babyFin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:51 am

adik wrote:BF ...You dont praypray ... rocket also a good videographer you know.

regarding rocket.. did i say anything?  ;) im willing to be the person infrontof the camera even if u r new and learning underwater videography..i don care one, i whack only.. :D :D :D

adik wrote:to me nothing more than a confortable UW talent will make a good video. Macha from Gypsy Divers to me a good talent. I can read his patern and I know where to position myself before I press the rec button. Maybe we have been diving together many times. So BF .. need to dive with more than  ;) ;) ;)

ya.. agreed! should dive together more la adik.. to build up the understanding and body contacts so, don have to communicate oso..still can know wat u wan..and wat am i up to..  ;)

[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#73  Postby babyFin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:54 am

adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:
adik wrote:
babyFin wrote:

and yet me, havent learn oso.. nvm, rocket and adik - u be the master first, then ill learn from the master sifu la..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#74  Postby Yan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:03 pm

adik wrote:
RoCKET wrote:HD is the way to go....but alot of production houses and TV stations cant support the format yet....very expensive. plus you need a HD TV to enjoy the thru colours....i guess we have a long way to go.....

Bro ... can you eloborate more on this process . Im still blur when it come to post production (the sequence in transfering the tape to the machine) that make the production house and station unable to support HD to the viewers.
i'm not quite sure how the prosess is myself....i'm still learning as well.....for now i just whack on HD... and hope everything turns out okay.....hahahahahaha.....
Yan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#75  Postby Daniel Lim » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Thanks a lot for ur information.I think i know much better already ...

Thank u
Daniel Lim
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#76  Postby AyahLang » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:34 pm

nizaha wrote:
Here me and my video on action  :o

Safe diving

Zaha

Bro ... what material are you using to contruct this cylinderical housing?? Is it a PVC or Acrylic ??? Positive or negative ???

Cool bro.

Yup just a 6'1/2 inch PVC body itself and LID made by thicker 2' plexi glass with 3 Latch. definately positive I need at least 8 kg to make them neutral.

Safe diving

Zaha

Bro Zaha,

Did you DIY this contraption? If so, would you share your build plan? As well as where you source the latches, the plexi glass/arcrylic cover?

I found some plans off the net, but not so resourceful to find parts here. Better if there are foolproof way to build the controls. Here are the sites;

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/pdh/housing/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Underwa ... or-miniDV/

http://insel.heim.at/malediven/350052/mikedo_e.htm

Rgds
AyahLang
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#77  Postby johan2 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks! Great info this.
johan2
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#78  Postby aquaholic » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:03 pm

Interesting, thanks for the DIY sites. Anyone know of any DIY video housing that have LANC controls built in?
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#79  Postby AyahLang » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:31 pm

I thought I've come across one site, but can't seem to recall what it was. Will try a relook. Most sites tend to adopt a concept of building a complete enclosure, set the focus to infinity, run the record button, close/seal the contraption, and dive until your air, the tape, or the battery runs out. Then, go home and edit.

Such approach minimizes point of failures to just the o-ring cap. Drawback is you need spare batteries and more than a handful of tapes if you're on repetitive dives.

Another approach for control is infra-red remote controller. I read in one forum, a guy suggested a clear enclosure, i.e. clear PVC pipe or arcrylic tube, and since most mini-dv comes with its remote unit, to actually wrap the remote control unit in.... get ready for this..... condoms... I wouldn't do that; no safe depth was mentioned, and the thought of wasting such valuable resource..... ;)

What's really bogged me down is I can't seem to find shops that sell pressure latches, and no one seem to carry 1 cm thickness 15 cm diameter arcrylic tube. Any ideas?
AyahLang
Diver
Diver

Previous

Return to Underwater Video