MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - SHOOTING VIDEO UNDERWATER

SHOOTING VIDEO UNDERWATER

To embed Youtube videos, just paste the video URL into a single line. Just the URL.

SHOOTING VIDEO UNDERWATER

Post Number:#1  Postby adik » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:16 pm

[highlight]SHOOTING VIDEO UNDERWATER[/highlight]

Apart from underwater photography, UW videography is one way on how you can share the excitement of being underwater and communicating the underwater life experience with others. It’s totally absorbing to me and its one way on how I can channel my creative energy to you guys/viewer in certain matters.    

Honestly, I never attend any professional course on how to shoot video underwater. Just through some reading and getting info’s from other videographers somehow helps me gained the knowledge on how to handle the camera efficiently. So here I am just to share some thoughts on some basic requirements on how to shoot video underwater with the MUWians.

Regardless whether a still camera or a video camera, expensive or not expensive set up that you bring down to shoot. You should understand the fundamental requirements that you have to consider before entering the water. This is because viewer expectation is very high as we are so exposed to watch interesting TV program everyday.

So in the other words, the challenge is before going to any trips for video shoot is, to think on how can we get hold or grab our friend’s attention to enjoy watching our video after we finish editing. We don’t want them to press stop in the middle of it and switch to other TV program. We want them to continue watching until the end. So below are some of the pointers that I would like to share with you guys in achieving that.

[highlight]Try to do a simple storyboard[/highlight]

Plan something. No need to be so elaborate. A simple one will do just to know the outline on what you want to shoot underwater. The advantage of it, with the outline you can somehow visualize how it will be shot. Then you know and when to start to press the record button and when to stop, which angle you want to place your camera and etc.  Although underwater, we cannot control the movement of the marine life but if we figured out from the beginning on how to shoot macros, pelagic or even coral we can achieved some pleasure doing it and viewer happy watching it too.  Finally, during editing stage it will be much easier too because you have all the shots that you want based on your storyboard.

[highlight]Wide, medium and close up Shots[/highlight]

Varieties of shots are important. You don’t want to press record on a Manta for 3 min long, from the same angle and from the same distance. Viewers will bosan right. You need to have variety shots. Wide is to establish the location, to provide some perspective (i.e. size) of the fish, divers or boat. The Medium and the Close up Shots are to show the detail of the subject that you want to shoot. You need all the three shots through out the entire shooting period.

[highlight]This is my way of shooting Macha for example with a seahorse in Holy Sands.
(This is only an example, I never seen a seahorse in Redang before)[/highlight]

1)Macha swimming with a camera [highlight](Wide to established that Macha in Holy Sand looking for Macros)[/highlight]

2)Macha paused when spotting a Seahorse [highlight](Medium – established both Macha and seahorse)[/highlight]

3)Macha getting the right angle to take a shot of the subject [highlight](over the shoulders – meaning my camera is positioned behind Macha Shoulder. The view finders screen will cover Part of Macha’s body with his hand stretched holding the camera and the seahorse in front of the camera.[/highlight]

4)Macha snap the photo [highlight]( I will be at the side of Macha covering half of his body and the subject )[/highlight]

5)Macha moving away from the subject ([highlight]wide to established that he is done taking the Seahorse and looking for other things)[/highlight]

6)I will do some close up of the seahorse after macha left the spot. ([highlight]The shots should covers both Close up and Extreme Close Up. [/highlight]
So here I’ve got 6 different angles to be used during editing on Macha and the Seahorse Scene.

As for my the sequence in editing stage will be

[highlight]Clip 1 – Wide – Macha swimming
Clip 2 – Medium – Macha spoted Seahorse
Clip 6 – Close up – Sea horse
Clip 3 – Medium – Macha preparing to snap
Clip 6 – Super Close Up – Sea Horse
Clip 4 – Medium - Macha snap the Camera
Clip 5 – Wide – Macha leaving the spot[/highlight]

All these shots will be 12 sec each. So now maybe you can see the flow in a logical sequence in the final material.

I’m hoping that these two important topics (for a start) can somehow help you guys building a good video soon. If we have more time we can discussed other topic such as Composition, Buoyancy during shooting, Camera movement and bla..bla..bla

For those who are doing UW videography, please add more pointers should you think the above is not adequate.
adik

Topic author

Re: SHOOTING VIDEO UNDERWATER

Post Number:#2  Postby nazir4321 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:31 pm

kewl  ;) thanks adik for good guidelines...
nazir4321

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby GOD » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:00 pm

Thanks adik ... easy to understand.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby jgshuwei » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:17 pm

Good one! Thank you...
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby ikan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:34 am

Thanx bro for a very brief yet useful guidelines that is so easy to understand (practicing it is another matter  ;D) ..
ikan

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby SeaDemon » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:16 am

I'll add once I come back from Perhentian.

Leaving in 45 minutes
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby ikan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:29 am

safe driving bro ... awaiting ur result of a crash course in video shooting  ;D ;D ;D
ikan

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby nizaha » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:26 am

Thx Adik. Nice Story line..hehhe

I just finish build my own U/W housing for my video cam.. Just housing.. hehe.. at the moment I'm really into taking video underwater.

Safe diving'

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby adik » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:15 pm

I just finish build my own U/W housing for my video cam.. Just housing.. hehe.. at the moment I'm really into taking video underwater.

Safe diving'

Zaha

Bro !!

Do you mind telling us what camera are you using ???? From the clips you posted be4 looks like a HD camera.

Doing your own housing. Wow. What material are you using ???
adik

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby adik » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Thanx bro for a very brief yet useful guidelines that is so easy to understand (practicing it is another matter  ;D) ..

Ikan ... sometimes easy for me to write ... but in actual fact a bit hard also. Shoot and when review back the tape regret because miss few shots. But as you say practice is important.
Last edited by adik on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adik

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby HollowMan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks for sharing adik, keep em coming bro  :D
HollowMan

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby matzahar » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Adik-san...tenkiu..tenkiu.. Pls post more...domo arigato..
matzahar

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby nizaha » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:33 am

Safe diving'

Zaha

Bro !!

Do you mind telling us what camera are you using ???? From the clips you posted be4 looks like a HD camera.

Hi Adik.

I didn't  own the HD video. I wish I own one soon. At the moment  I just use old video Canon Elura and Olympus 5060 for my previous clip before.

I just make simple underwater housing. Nothin special. I will post pic the housing to you soon.

Safe diving

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby adik » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:36 pm

Safe diving'

Zaha

Bro !!

Hi Adik.

I didn't  own the HD video. I wish I own one soon. At the moment  I just use old video Canon Elura and Olympus 5060 for my previous clip before.

I just make simple underwater housing. Nothin special. I will post pic the housing to you soon.

Safe diving

Zaha

Thanks Zaha!! wish you luck and happy shooting  ;) ;) ;) ;)
adik

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby nizaha » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:29 pm

Here me and my video on action  :o

Safe diving

Zaha
Last edited by Nizaha on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby adik » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Safe diving

Zaha

Bro ... what material are you using to contruct this cylinderical housing?? Is it a PVC or Acrylic ??? Positive or negative ???

Cool bro.
adik

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby nizaha » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:01 am

Safe diving

Zaha

Bro ... what material are you using to contruct this cylinderical housing?? Is it a PVC or Acrylic ??? Positive or negative ???

Cool bro.

Yup just a 6'1/2 inch PVC body itself and LID made by thicker 2' plexi glass with 3 Latch. definately positive I need at least 8 kg to make them neutral.

Safe diving

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby adik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:06 am

Cool Stuff Bro!!
adik

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:11 am

As you all would probably know by now, I use my Nikon Coolpix 4200 P&S camera to do my videos (my WP-CP2 UW housing is now unserviceable). It isn't exactly a good camera to use as it records only 15fps, so the editing phase comes in critical.

I like to do music videos, even out of trip videos, not the kind of videos that last half an hour with 6 background music playing in turn like some "kenduri kahwin" (wedding reception) videos. To me, videos like that make you lose the "oomph" momentum because your mood changes when the bgmusic changes.

So how do I begin? Firstly I have a collection of music that I would use as background music (bgmusic) that usually comes from the chill/club genre. The kind of music where people chill out at lounges sipping cocktail, martini and stuff. I listen to them all. Then I'll have two methods of doing the videos that I self-categorize (nothing to do with my PADI UW Videography Specialty):

CONSTRUCTION METHOD

In this method, I listen to the songs. And if there is any particular song that I like, I replay and try to visualize a scene. Once I am sure of what to use the music for, I reserve it just for that particular video. I will then re-run the music and do a mental storyboard of what shots are to be taken.

Next, I do a proper storyboard plus run-times. I like to switch scenes on the eighth-bar of the music. I still loe using fade-in/fade-out for video transitions because it is safe.

Once I have that, then I'll shoot the scenes whenever I go diving. I would shoot a minimum of 10 seconds for each scene and crop later during editing to suit the music. So you'll get a string of clips taken over a few trips. The clips that I cannot find the use for, I burn onto a CD and label as 'YET TO USE'. They may come in handy for other videos. Always have a label for each clip in Notepad format burnt together onto the same CD.

RECONSTRUCTION METHOD

This is when I go on a trip and make a video of that trip. I shoot whatever I can and think can be used. Then I go home, watch the rushes (clips), and listen to several songs. Once I find a song that may suit the mood, I arrange the clips according to the song.

The danger with this method is when you suddenly find that you do not have enough useable shots. For instance, the video I took of the Perhentian Ad-Hoc Trip 5-6 May 2007 was actually several clips short.  Remember, I change scenes on the eighth bar, so in one minute I need about 8 clips. So if you notice the last shot (luckily the scene was of Sugar Wreck) there was a Porcupine Puffer...and extended duration as well. That shot was taken in March 2007 when I went to Sugar Wreck with Mocha, Spazm and Ironore.

So there you have it...no magic stuff...and no method in my madness. But UW videography is the thing that has distracted me from doing UW Photography because I tell stories through videos better (I think).
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby ikan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:15 am

Safe diving

Zaha

Cool bro.

Yup just a 6'1/2 inch PVC body itself and LID made by thicker 2' plexi glass with 3 Latch. definately positive I need at least 8 kg to make them neutral.

Safe diving

Zaha

Real cool stuff bro ... very innovative indeed ....
ikan

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby itikuek » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:02 am

Salams

Hai Everyone..... would like to share with all the u/w videographer the best video editing software to use. Need more guidance from the pros.

Tq
itikuek

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby GOD » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:18 am

Salams

Hai Everyone..... would like to share with all the u/w videographer the best video editing software to use. Need more guidance from the pros.

Tq

B4 I use Adobe ..... now AVID.

I think AVID is better... easier for slow minded person like me to use.

The best is they have the free version & when you can master it.... u can buy the Pro version.

For normal editing ... the free version is MORE THEN ENOUGH!!!!

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby deepblu » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:47 am

apart from appearing in maggi tv commercials, ( ;D ;D ;D) bubble trouble also edits (other) tv commercials for a living..

mebbe he can give some invaluable tips here too.

where are you, sifu bubble trouble?
deepblu

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:20 am

Salams

Tq

You want to know, can. 25%. But I use Adobe Premier only...but always insist on Original Imitation.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby adik » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:42 pm

Im using the Adobe Primier Pro! Used Uleed be4 but performance wise not so good ..

Snufu quoted the Avid Pinnacle, one of the most popular apart from FCP (Final Cut Pro Apple)

Ive got with me the same original imitation software.  ;D ;D ;D
adik

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby nizaha » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:30 am

I'm using Avs editor at the moment..

zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby rocket » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:23 am

hello there....i'm getting the sony HVR-V1U....any recommendations for underwater housings.?? been looking at the amphibico but abit expensive.....any suggestions.??
rocket

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby nizaha » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:55 am

hello there....i'm getting the sony HVR-V1U....any recommendations for underwater housings.?? been looking at the amphibico but abit expensive.....any suggestions.??

Go to Ikelite website.

zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby rocket » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:56 am

Go to Ikelite website.

zaha

got some bad reviews with ikelite video housing......
rocket

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby GOD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:05 pm

GATES Housing

;D
GOD

Topic author

Next

Return to Underwater Video