MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Commercial Diving

Commercial Diving

Wanna be a commercial diver? ROV Pilot? Lets’ hear from the people in the industry

Should I become a commercial diver?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes : 16

Commercial Diving

Post Number:#1  Postby cd » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:58 am

To everyone out there..

I came to know this website since yesterday after browsing helplessly through internet searching for answers to my questions.

First of all, just me introduce myself: I'm 35y.o. male, single, working in a bank, studied science subjects (physics & chemistry) during high school, subsequently i did my finance degree in a university. So, i have zero knowledge / experience in all technical jobs (e.g. have not even tried welding on the ground...). I don't have any engineering background. But I am a certified advanced OWD since 2009, I have not dived after getting certification.

Here are my question:

1) Is it good to switch career at this point of time? Any Commercial Diver has the similar background as mine (zero experience / knowledge in all technical & engineering jobs)?

2) how is the commercial diving industry currently? although i've read some other forum posted here, but I would still prefer the most up-to-date information base on current market situation.

3) How is the pay? I really hope to get some sincere reply from a commercial diver here.

There are more to ask, but i think let me stop here at this moment.

Thanks.

Rgds,
KC
cd
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Commercial Diving

Post Number:#2  Postby Spazm » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 am

1. I would say it would not be a smooth road for such a drastic transition to commercial diving from your current career. However, do not let the statement put you down if you are really into it.

2. I believe that is there is more certified commercial divers than the demand in Malaysia. However, Malaysia lack local Supervisors,Superintendant, SAT Divers..etc...

3. The pay in ROV is better than the Divers now...why not consider that???...:)...truth and honest answer....:)..(MOCHA , STONEFINS...am I right??..:)
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby Narco » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Where can one go for certification to become a commercial diver in Malaysia?
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#4  Postby mocha » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:19 pm

No wonder i coughing whole day.... Spazm calling out for me...haha.... I guess if u hit the right company then the pay is good for any field.... However U haf better chances of longer employment contract as ROV tech as company will need to train u up and they tend to keep you for few trips if not permanent rotation....... whereelse diver are mostly freelance... Ur employment chances is often based on who u know, how u perform and 'market' yourself...

Narco: closest to home would be tasmania.....
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby cd » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:00 pm

hi spazm / mocha,

what is the difference between ROV and diver?
what is ROV?

It shows that i'm really new / almost knowing nothing about this line/ industry.
cd
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby cd » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:02 pm

And thanks to mocha / spazm for giving your opinion and advice.
cd
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby Spazm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:24 pm

R emote O perated V ehicle....= ROV....a boxy thing with a joystick..more fun..:)

DIVER = WORKS WITH BRUTE STRENGTH AND SAPS LOTS OF ENERGY...:(...no fun...:)

Forget to add this...:).... Diving and completing the task at hand....PRICEless...:)
Last edited by Spazm on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby duke306 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:40 pm

u know who is the most important part :D i think, else who's gonna call you for the job? Google ADAS 123 bro. Then u`ll understand much better. Massive course fee involved  :crybaby2: .
duke306
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby chaldish » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:45 am

It all depends to the market demand. That is really true.

Here are examples of ROV companies - Oceaneering (S'pore), Fugro (S'pore), TMT (Australia), Alam Maritime (Singapore) which is mostly seen on a construction barge is Malaysian Waters.

Diving Companies - Sarku (Malaysian), OWA(Japanese), Caldive (Not too sure)

Future investment I would suggest ROV. Pays a lot better than divers. (depends on the position). I work in the offshore construction industry, and what i see is more ROV friendly equipment been designed in the market. More clients are thinking of this future way forward not to use divers. But there are still works that divers are the only ones know how to do it.

Offshore Industry: Construction, drilling, subsea inspections, pipeline repair some examples where divers and ROV are used depends on the scope. Also, its divided into two, deepwater and shalow water (100m below). for the deepwater no divers are used. And for the next few years deepwater jobs are coming up in Australia, Malaysia, Brunei, and Indonesia. So i believe demand is there.

ROV license: Most of the Malaysian guys who are really expereince, they work outside malaysia. This is because in Malaysia, they cant get the market rate (which sometimes reach 1000pounds/day) depends on the position. And earlier days they go and invest their own money to take license in Aberdeen, Singapore, Australia (places which i know of you can take license). Its quite expensive but after 2 or three trips you can get your ROI (return of investment).

So in summary: I would suggest you to take ROV. But needs knowledge of hydraulic, mechanical and electronics as basic. Plus you dont get wet..  :)
chaldish
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby taufik » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:16 am

1-good time,bad time,who knows until u give it a try.its as much as a gamble as it is a calculated measure methink.i once read about this doctor or some other high-flying professionals who swithc to be a sweage/hazmat divers n didnt regret it.i once kinda give a not-so-honest or maybe too-optimistic answer to a guy who ask me this almost same question.n the result of that wasnt as how we like it to be.

2-i believe spasm sum up the current status of our commercial diving 'scene' rather accurately.

3-the pay.this is what attracting people from all walk of life into commercial diving 'craze' these last few years.n they have a good reason too.the rate in malaysia supposedly one of the best rate u can get around.the $$...erm..u r looking at anywhere as 'low' as rm200 a day for inshore divers to as high as ..well...recently subsea 7 offering $650..or was it 750...for air diver..so there goes the 'secret' that i as a commercial diver myself  not supposed to say out loud  ;) .but bear in mind the saying 'the greater the reward the higher the risk(or something sounded like that anyway)..
taufik
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to Offshore Diving