MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - WTA: TDI and CSWIP U designated underwater welder

WTA: TDI and CSWIP U designated underwater welder

Wanna be a commercial diver? ROV Pilot? Lets’ hear from the people in the industry

WTA: TDI and CSWIP U designated underwater welder

Post Number:#1  Postby hybriddust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi guys,

Perhaps any forumers could enlight me on this matter.

I have a requirement from my client to supply underwater inspectors with cswip 3.1u, 3.2u, 3.3u (ROV) and 3.4u. I've checked my database and noticed that some of the divers are not cswip certified but have TDI welder certification.

My query is this : Which certification is superior? Or are they both accepted for underwater inspector job?

Oh and yes, OT a bit, we are looking for certified divers who hold CSWIP 3.1U, 3.2U, 3.3U and 3.4U for our project in Australia. If any of you have the qualification and experience, please e-mail your CVs to shaza.shaharom@sgs.com.

Thank you.
hybriddust
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: WTA: TDI and CSWIP U designated underwater welder

Post Number:#2  Postby Spazm » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:17 pm

A TDI welding certificate is for topside use only i.e. it is acceptable for welding work on surface.

The CSWIP 3.1(U) and CSWIP 3.2(U) are qualification held by Qualified commercial divers who has shown competency in performing underwater CVI, GVI , usage of Underwater inspection tools which include MPI performed on underwater welds.

You would not get a welder to inspect his own work. You will have a third party qualified personnel to do that. This is where the QC comes into play.

I hope this can help you in your quest.

P/S : If your project is in Australia, you should be looking at their union...cheerios... :)
Last edited by Spazm on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby hybriddust » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:12 pm

thanks spazm. The project is in fact in Australia. No need to mention which client due to confidentiality but I guess Australia is looking to becoming the next world hub for LNG.

Coming back to the query, does this mean that those without the CSWIP certification are not allowed / not recommded to apply for these positions?

One more query, if a bit OT, if one holds an ADAS Part 3 or certification, does he/she need to take the CSWIP course?
hybriddust
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Spazm » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 pm

I would not discourage any divers to apply for the job and I would not say you have not done your homework as well, but bear in mind that any diving work in Australian waters is strongly protected by their Diver's union.  Unless you are very sure the union will not interfere with your current proposal then maybe Malaysian Divers will apply for the job. If only it is the same for us in Malaysian waters.

For any underwater inspection job, not all divers will need a CSWIP certificate to be on it. You would still need divers to perform cleaning and other preparation work to ready the area to be inspected.

ADAS part 3 is just a ticket to get you on the job.  It is equivalent to the HSE (Part 1) diving certificate and is recognised for offshore air diving to 50 metres. I have been on inspection job where the diver do not have IMCA recognised diving certificate but it is up to the client.
Last edited by Spazm on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Offshore Diving