MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - COMMERCIAL DIVING - Glamourous?? Why do you do it?

COMMERCIAL DIVING - Glamourous?? Why do you do it?

Wanna be a commercial diver? ROV Pilot? Lets’ hear from the people in the industry

COMMERCIAL DIVING - Glamourous?? Why do you do it?

Post Number:#1  Postby Spazm » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:52 am

This question was posted to me by another diver while we were on shift waiting for the diver to finish his job. I never really had the chance to answer his question fully as I was sent to the jacket to assist tool lowering to diver.

Ok. Here it goes..

Everyone said that I am crazy to be doing what I am doing right now, but there is no other job that I will rather trade in this world for this. There are times when I do wonder why I am doing this (normally while doing an arduos task or while getting the Table 6 treament..:P)
but yet, I am bewildered that I am looking forward to work everytime I come home. There is so much to learn and absorb on each job as I find every job is different, the people I work with is different, the job scope is different, the client is different, even the places I go to is different.

Such a contrast from being desk-bound, holding a 9-5 steady income job, where just the thought of waking up in the morning to get to work is such a chore already.

So far, I dont find the job glamourous at all. When ppl ask me what I do, I can tell them one thing...I am a jobless bum when you see me..:)

I can never tell any girls' parents what I do, as they will probably strike me off the list of possible future son-in-law...:P

I cannot be insured for peanuts...:(

I cannot smoke whenever and where ever I like...:(

But I STILL LOVE MY JOB....:)

So...now the question is back to you Necrosis...why do you do it??..:P
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Re: COMMERCIAL DIVING - Glamourous?? Why do you do it?

Post Number:#2  Postby necrosis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:21 am

Braderrrrr braderrrrr...

Good question brader.

Passion? Maybe.
Money? Maybe.
Glamourous? I'm a diver not a rock star.

Until today, I still can't figure out why I jumped into it in the first place.

But its not too bad anyways, i get to meet clowns like you, Brendon, Zuly, Dean and Kaderi. hahaha
Rudie Haque
necrosis
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby taufik » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:13 pm

hi..diz is my take on diving..
i first discover diving back in 1999.back then i was juz a general worker.but i ejas(work my way) my way to become a diver.so i get to be a diver even i was still get general worker's pay.so its not for d money i guess.and at some period of my life i stop diving and do something else.but back then i knew its diving what i love d most n there is no other job i wanna do.so i took d plunge again,burn some(lots) of money for d license(people sure like to ask if u have a license to dive or not) and here i am..jobless again but i dont regret any of it.dats d perk of being a freelance diver i guess...so why did i do it...heck i also dunno...maybe because ITS NICE DOWN THERE(even if its pitch black sumtimes)...
Last edited by taufik on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
taufik
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Spazm » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:33 am

necrosis wrote:Braderrrrr braderrrrr...

Good question brader.

Passion? Maybe.
Money? Maybe.
Glamourous? I'm a diver not a rock star.

Until today, I still can't figure out why I jumped into it in the first place.

But its not too bad anyways, i get to meet clowns like you, Brendon, Zuly, Dean and Kaderi. hahaha

Well, not every job we get to be in the same team with people who can work,eat and sleep together...
If you get a Assistant Lead Diver...you would have asked the company to send you back on the next crew boat..:)

Anyway...maybe you have been too long in the industry, that's why...why not share with us your experiences of why people do it..if you cannot answer it yourself..:P
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby chaldish » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:16 am

From my point of view is.. MONEY for most divers. It surely pays loads of money. I am not a diver my self. But there are a lot of divers I meet in my line of job. But then again u got to have the a little bit of passion to do this very high risk job.

The divers from India, if you ask around who are they. .some of them are practically brothers, father & son, relatives. Here I conclude that in runs through the family. If i ask them.. its about the money. Its about the job flexibility. But if I ask the SAT diver's supv, normally they will say "dont take this job if you have a choice". Because it has a lot of long term effect. But in the end of the day.. its worth it because SAT a paid by hourly on top of the daily rate.

I love diving. I have license as a leisure diver. Was actually been "racun" by fellow divers to take up the course. But didnt in the end because I dont think i will have the same passion in the beginning of the job as towards 5 years down the road.

In summary, it depends on the person himself. But generaly most of the divers i meet they say.."Money is good ma"
chaldish
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Spazm » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 am

MONEY makes the world go round...no doubt about that CHALDish

If you get pay peanuts, you will get monkey...or so the sayings goes...:)
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby necrosis » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Dear Spazm,

I'm sure by now, you'd already realised that there are a lot of monkeys in the commercial diving industry.

I think you should bring more peanuts in your tidbits bag on your next job.

More peanuts means tamer monkeys.
Rudie Haque
necrosis
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby Spazm » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Dear Necrosis,

I know who is the biggest monkey of them all already....was across my bunk on my last job..muahahaha..:P
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby necrosis » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:53 am

oit...

Don't tell people la... hahahahaha....
Rudie Haque
necrosis
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to Offshore Diving