MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - personal accident insurance for commercial diver

personal accident insurance for commercial diver

Wanna be a commercial diver? ROV Pilot? Lets’ hear from the people in the industry

personal accident insurance for commercial diver

Post Number:#1  Postby taufik » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:15 pm

hi everyone...diz issue bugging me quite a while already
diz time i wanna ask about "personal accident insurance" for commercial diver.not d travel insurance.not diving insurance.but general/personal insurance.all d insurance dat i hv researced so far state in the fine print dat its not valid for a diver(and d agent eyes rolling when i tell him im a commercial diver,and go "benda apa tu?").some travel insurance cover 50m dive on scuba but not SSBA.and its travel insurance so dont count.i bought myself allianz travel insurance last year juz becoz dat 50m on scuba thing.and my question is is there any insurance out there dat cover us d commercial diver,when we not at workplace...and including d work place if possible.........any help is very much appreciated...
taufik
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: personal accident insurance for commercial diver

Post Number:#2  Postby WATERCOW » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 am

As far as I know, there is not personal accident plan currently in Malaysia market that cover commercial diving, simply because of the risk involved. Another word, commercial diving is simply uninsurable. Some of the tai ko might not agree with me (well, I had a lecture by syed telling me how safe commercial diving is), but that's the general accepted view by all insurance company worldwide.

Most PA would cover recreational diving up to 50m, (some don't, you will have to confirm with the insurer). As for travel insurance, I am suprise to know Allianz one covers recreational diving, hmmm, have to check it out myself.

One last note, do check with your current Life policy insurer if you have any life insurance policy. If you read the term & condition printed in your policy, you will find that it is the life assured obligation to inform the insurance company any change in occupation. If you fail to do so, the insurer might refuse the claim should anything happen.
WATERCOW
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby taufik » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:32 pm

what about our senior commercial divers here..what insurance did u all buy...someone suggest me to but a 'RISK 3' insurance group.but when i read d fine print,divers is not ...not protected....
taufik
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby fallenelves » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:33 pm

I had some problem with that too.. anytime an insurance agent call and I say i work offshore, they say they dont cover or cant cover, even if they do.. the premium is very high.. now that i will be doing my commercial diving, a little different from the offshore trade i did before commercial diving, i am pretty sure no insurance company would cover... not sure about DAN though... do DAN cover for commercial divers?
fallenelves
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby Snafu » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:03 pm

DAN - No cover for commercial diving

While on job we r covered under the company insurance scheme.

Off Job - Not covered

Will update if I have any information about insurance.

Buy property n shares laaaaaaa .... insurance also but slow to liquidize only.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#6  Postby hornshark » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi fellas ….after getting commercial diving course we are competent to dive do the job safely are we?
Even if we are cover by insurance doesn’t mean we are safe already. so safety is very important in cd world…
Anyway it good to be cover by insurance..cause anything can happen.. I also new in cd world n never thought it would be easy so my advise is... dive when u feel safe, don’t dive if u feel unsafe.  ;)
hornshark
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Spazm » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:17 am

I have my own PA (Life Insurance on PA and 15 Critical Illness) but I have been paying the premium for near for more than 10 years.

If you have that, you will have to declare to your insurance about your new scope of work, as I have done.

To purchase new PA and Medical insurance, sorry to say, I have tried applying with two big company and it was rejected. I have even asked overseas but to no avail. Looks like keeping cash and property is the best bet we have. Worst come to worst, we will always have our toys...:)

Cheers

Derrick
Substance over matter , Diver behind the dive.....
Spazm
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Offshore Diving