MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Re: MALAYSIAN DIVING UNION

Re: MALAYSIAN DIVING UNION

Wanna be a commercial diver? ROV Pilot? Lets’ hear from the people in the industry

Post Number:#31  Postby necrosis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:07 am

Hi Syed,

Few months ago, i was pondering about writing to the organiser of MIDE 2008 with the intention of "presenting papers" regarding this issue, but decided against it mainly coz I'm not Malaysian (people might say i'm poking nose at other people's industry) and of course, job commitment.

Why not, you raise this issue during the next diving exhibition in Malaysia? I'm very sure you could get feedbacks from lots of Malaysian divers.

--
Rudie Haque
Rudie Haque
necrosis
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#32  Postby Snafu » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:20 am

necrosis wrote:Hi Syed,

Few months ago, i was pondering about writing to the organiser of MIDE 2008 with the intention of "presenting papers" regarding this issue, but decided against it mainly coz I'm not Malaysian (people might say i'm poking nose at other people's industry) and of course, job commitment.

Why not, you raise this issue during the next diving exhibition in Malaysia? I'm very sure you could get feedbacks from lots of Malaysian divers.

--
Rudie Haque

I cant promise anything but i will try to do something in the near future.

Even though you are not Malaysian, if you have suggestion & ideas to be shared..feel free to do so bro.

I am interested to know more about it, we need to overcome this challenge & build better future.

Thank you for your feedback!!!

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#33  Postby bijan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:49 am

necrosis wrote:Hi Syed,

--
Rudie Haque

necrosis, if u were to be a malaysian, what wud u have done then in particular to the issue? interesting talk..this union, can recreational divers take part as well?
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#34  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:39 am

Everybody knows that trying to create a union is an almost impossible task and the process is a nightmare but if you guys, those of you who are talking of forming a "union" in a bid to look after the interest of commercial divers, stop talking and start the ball rolling.

There are active commercial divers here in MUW who claim to have the interest of this forum (and subsequently, the members) at heart and claim to want to do something for Malaysian divers in Malaysia and to a certain extent, for Malaysia, who seem to be participating freely in "talk only".

Come on guys, be serious.

Are you expecting someone to get up and get this union formed for you while you just sit back and talk??

Most of us here, myself included, are recreational divers and know nuts about commercial diving and the "nitty gritty" that goes on in that industry so why don't you, the active commercial diver (and supporter of MUW, it's members and in general,divers in Malaysia), who seem to be genuinely concerned about losing your "rice bowls" to foreigners, STOP TALKING AND START DOING SOMETHING???

The quote "NATO" I have seen in this thread seems so real and true.

I rest my case here and will not indulge further in this topic, something that I am not qualified to talk about, as a commercial diver OR as a "union former"

Now, where's my bottle of Remy and Carlsberg???
Last edited by Scuba Dynamics on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Number:#35  Postby necrosis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:18 am

Scuba Dynamic, this union thingy takes time. I'm sure Syed is gonna do something about it.

Bijan, one should do a statistical study on this, talk to as many divers and get their feedback and reaction, no point setting up a union when no one wanna join rite? identify the main weakness and strength of local divers, take the opportunity of diving exhibition etc to present papers then from there gather feedback and information. The most important thing is to take time to understand the mentality of local divers. Like I said in previous post, no point having a union if members are not disciplined enough to be united or even pay membership dues. I mean, i've seen quite a number of people who, when they got no job, they'll start talking bout union and all but when they got jobs, money starts coming in, u won't hear any "sound"

Anyhow, just my 2 cents worth of view.

--
Rudie Haque
Rudie Haque
necrosis
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#36  Postby Snafu » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi Rudie,

I was ask couple of time to look into this Union for commercial divers, I did take a peek at it & realize that b4 we can have Union...we would need the majority of CDs to unite & agree to hold the Union up high  :laughing11: I dont think it will happen as yet, divers would just work & go home to be with family.

As for now, majority of CDs are only thinking about me, myself & I .... not WE.

Union is easy to set it up, but I dont want it to be dormant  ;)

Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#37  Postby necrosis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:25 pm

Well said Bro, this is the mentality of a lot of divers, started from way back. Back then, i was like always fighting for better pay, and on a lot of occasion, got screwed by a number of divers. Now, I go solo. Offer my rate, if the company says no, I go elsewhere.No heart pain. Fight for others, at the end of the day, i get black listed by companies. Orang putih cakap, not worth it!

Anyhow, hang in there, next time trip out, i'll try ask brits n aussie bout how they run their union etc. and i'll feedback to you. Any topic u wanna discuss, can always drop me an email.

Dive Safe!

--
Rudie Haque
Rudie Haque
necrosis
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#38  Postby Snafu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:10 am

necrosis wrote:Anyhow, hang in there, next time trip out, i'll try ask brits n aussie bout how they run their union etc. and i'll feedback to you. Any topic u wanna discuss, can always drop me an email.

Dive Safe!

--
Rudie Haque

Thanks bro, I be very interested to see the constitutional of the CD UNION... I think Brits & Aussie would go under labor Union NOT CD Union as it will be so much easier to set-up.

Do let me know of your findings.

Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#39  Postby AdRiaN cHuA » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:18 am

bijan wrote:
necrosis, if u were to be a malaysian, what wud u have done then in particular to the issue? interesting talk..this union, can recreational divers take part as well?

To set up Diving union we need members....as a recreational diver, you are most welcome to join us.

I waiting for the big brother here to make a move (coz i havn't step foot on platform yet, so not understading how it running) then will contribute my little effort to make this union running.

B-)
AdRiaN cHuA
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#40  Postby k@Ki6iv3R » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:19 am

Syed K. A. wrote:Dear Commercial Divers,

You guys are funny so let's stick to the topic of setting up a UNION for Commercial Divers.

I dont know if any of you knows about UNION, but lets start with the Malaysia Diving Union CONSTITUTION.

Constitution is what a UNION is base on, so lets hear it from all the NO experience, LITTLE experience & MANY experience Commercial Diver.

1. What is the CONSTITUTION for Malaysia Diving Union going to be???

2. How are the UNION going to get support from majority of Commercial Divers?
- Looking in this thread alone make me wonder if i should laugh or cry... i choose to  :laughing11:

3. Can the members make the payment of RM2000 est. per person a year
- This money will go for paying lawyers...etc

3. Having a union does not mean we have support from the Government
- We need 100% support from them
- We need Private sector to support us...even by FORCE

4. What about Commercial Divers from SINGAPORE
- How this UNION going to operate around it...IS MALAYSIA Diving Union right.

More to come but lets start by answering the above question.

FYI..Running this forum also is not an easy task, makes it worst when some of the members have own personal interest...  :P whatever that is.

Lets keep this thread running & see where is it going, I hope the reply I get after this will be constructive & positive which may lead into forming the Malaysia Diving Union.

Please feel free to INVITE more Commercial divers so we can discuss more about it.

As for why foreign diver working in Malaysia water ....next time PLEASE see the vessel or barge flag & registration, if is not MALAYSIA .... they can have crew from anywhere around the WORLD & PLANET....ask the local and foreign petroleum company that allow it to happen.

As for the training centre in Trengganu....Is ONLY good if it have recognition from the Offshore Bodies like HSE, if you going to ask why must it be HSE...is going to take me long time to explain & I dont have that much of a time to do so.

I can tolerate ignorance, if we not sure about something do find out & share it.....this will make us united.

There is NO Stupid Question, ONLY Stupid Answer.... so ask!

Specially to Jonideep - PLEASE introduce yourself in the introduction section, thank you...please make it short & sweet.

Bro, I am quite new in this industry and sorry if my opinions are not going to benefit anyway...

But setting up a Union to "protect" the welfare of our Malaysian local divers - which I think is the primary objective and target of what we are discussing here... so, if we all are really serious on this topic, then we can start to brainstorm : -

(A) what is the target and directions of the Union?

(B) What is our first 5 years plan for all local commercial divers? Not to say making them filthy rich but they will get paid reasonably.... by all private corps...

(c) Regulations of the union that have to be legally enforced

(d) Most important - the Government Support - though I think we can't expect much from that  [-(... but just a hope le...

I am very glad to see so many passionate experienced divers like you all been thinking so much further for the industry survivors... well, at least, that is something we can put our beer glasses together and toast!

Gear up, buddies - no hard feelings... cause we are all divers....right??  ;)
:) Let's Gear Up and Dive :)
k@Ki6iv3R
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#41  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:38 pm

AdRiaN cHuA wrote:
John F SeaDemon wrote:
Until a union is set-up, there is no point in complaining about foreign-divers working here.  As it is, we already have so many deaths of BERNAS-trained divers from Thailand dying in the mountains of the Titiwangsa range due to DCI and other barometric and dive-related problems.

SeaDemon can you explain more on this...I'm new to this field..thank :)

Hehehehe..."divers" from across the border paid to do underwater logging.  No previous training needed. Cheap.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#42  Postby wisejudge1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:48 pm

Hi Syed,

Just a small piece of ideas to share. Go to MTUC, learn from them. I'm sure they will help.

Anyway union are just union.

Lukman Hakim
wisejudge1
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#43  Postby necrosis » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:43 am

Cik Lukman,

Nice to see you here! wilkommen mate!

--
Rudie Haque
Rudie Haque
necrosis
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#44  Postby AdRiaN cHuA » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:06 pm

John F SeaDemon wrote:
AdRiaN cHuA wrote:
John F SeaDemon wrote:
Until a union is set-up, there is no point in complaining about foreign-divers working here.  As it is, we already have so many deaths of BERNAS-trained divers from Thailand dying in the mountains of the Titiwangsa range due to DCI and other barometric and dive-related problems.

SeaDemon can you explain more on this...I'm new to this field..thank :)

Hehehehe..."divers" from across the border paid to do underwater logging.  No previous training needed. Cheap.

Thank bro John for info....

:angry4: :angry4: :angry4:
AdRiaN cHuA
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#45  Postby Snafu » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:07 am

Hi Kakidiver - Thanks for the input, we are still new in this area & it takes time to do it correctly.

Hey Wisejudge1 - Have not heard from you for quite sometime, I have look into few union & have emailed them but no positive reply as yet.

Maybe is easier to have Sub-Union by joining the big Union in Malaysia, will look into it as soon as I can find the time.

Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#46  Postby k@Ki6iv3R » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:17 am

Syed K. A. wrote:Hi Kakidiver - Thanks for the input, we are still new in this area & it takes time to do it correctly.

Hey Wisejudge1 - Have not heard from you for quite sometime, I have look into few union & have emailed them but no positive reply as yet.

Maybe is easier to have Sub-Union by joining the big Union in Malaysia, will look into it as soon as I can find the time.

No problem, bro. I am happy that you like it.... However, replies from other parties should be slow as they will have to go through red-tapes and furthermore, they might need time to justify the requirement for union over here...

Kalau M'sia punya government bodies, lagi tak perlu cakap le... apa pun slow saja... Stay put with your faith and keep diving, bro..... We are all with you...
:) Let's Gear Up and Dive :)
k@Ki6iv3R
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#47  Postby bugisdiver » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:24 am

wisejudge1 wrote:Hi Syed,

Just a small piece of ideas to share. Go to MTUC, learn from them. I'm sure they will help.

Anyway union are just union.

Lukman Hakim

Guten Morgan!! Alamak!, my mentor is here cannot input too much, welkomen!!Vie gherz dhez ihnen? Wie komen zie Ah dutch?
Last edited by bugisdiver on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bugisdiver
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#48  Postby borneodiver » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:08 pm

hello guys,i'm new to this commercial diving industry.i just got my adas part 3 early this month.i'm right now looking fro some jobs here in malaysia or brunei.if y'all got some contact,just give me a holla...i want to ask y'all something,is there any diving union in malaysia same like diving union in australia thay call ADAS...I really want to join it.
borneodiver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#49  Postby Snafu » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi Borneodiver,

No UNION for CD in Malaysia as yet.

Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#50  Postby necrosis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:01 pm

borneodiver wrote:hello guys,i'm new to this commercial diving industry.i just got my adas part 3 early this month.i'm right now looking fro some jobs here in malaysia or brunei.if y'all got some contact,just give me a holla...i want to ask y'all something,is there any diving union in malaysia same like diving union in australia thay call ADAS...I really want to join it.

Ah cool, we got another baby diver. Welcome to the family mate. One thing though, ADAS is Australian Diver Accreditation Scheme. Self explanatory, its diver's certification agency and not a union. anyhow, dive safe, work safe and think safe.

--
Rudie Haque, DMT
Rudie Haque
necrosis
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#51  Postby Acan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:09 pm

:icon_rr:
Acan
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#52  Postby Acan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:19 pm

mr joni..you have a good idea,,, very good idea.. am a 43 year old... but age have nothing if they do not know how to use their brain.... like bugisdiver... dont talk about age la... we all diver kan????? come on put your hand like jonideep want it... everybody know about union... lu fikir lu lama????? apa lu punya sumbangan pada kita diver diver malaysia.... lu sebut nama nama mr fatah, raja adam so and so untuk apa?????? you mean fatah sahibak????? hahahahaha yang org tau dia safety officer saja bro....

jonideep teruskan niat anda i'll give u support ..... money ??? no problem..... kita kaut puluhan ribu malah ada ratusan ribu... tak kan 3,4 ribu for fee nak kemut kot???????
Last edited by Acan on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acan
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#53  Postby loanshark » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:49 pm

alo bro acan

sometime we don't always see what we think we see..............................
everybody have a right to talk about it................

he he he
loanshark
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#54  Postby Acan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:59 pm

hi bro loanshark....

ya everybody can talk what they want.. but talk agak agak la... we talkk about union bugisdiver talk about dia ada car la motor la... wrong place to talk about
Acan
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#55  Postby Sphyrna » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Back to Union thing.

How to start one?

*look fwd for CD Union in Malaysia..
Eyes behind shades.
Sphyrna
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#56  Postby KupangDiver » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Bro..biaq pi la sapa2 nk bg tau ada moto ka ada bot ka janji dia bahgia....mcm2 hal lu org ni...hahahahampeh...

`tong kosong` :D
KupangDiver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#57  Postby KupangDiver » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:19 pm

:angel8: :hello:
KupangDiver
Diver
Diver

Previous

Return to Offshore Diving