MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Lets ask Mr. Commercial Diver

Lets ask Mr. Commercial Diver

Wanna be a commercial diver? ROV Pilot? Lets’ hear from the people in the industry

Re: Lets ask Mr. Commercial Diver

Post Number:#31  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 21, 2007 5:22 am

another question is that... after doing all these courses, is there a guarantee that u'll see be getting an off-shore job? or like any other thing... eg, a fresh-grad from uni might be jobless on the dry land (hard to look for job)

and do we need to do ER.. trimix... first then go down to the commersial courses? or we can just go from OW direcly.. thanks :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#32  Postby SeaDemon » Mon May 21, 2007 5:33 am

another question is that... after doing all these courses, is there a guarantee that u'll see be getting an off-shore job? or like any other thing... eg, a fresh-grad from uni might be jobless on the dry land (hard to look for job)

and do we need to do ER.. trimix... first then go down to the commersial courses? or we can just go from OW direcly.. thanks :)

You have to market yourself...apply for jobs through companies.

For your second question, Snafu has answered it just before you asked the question. I quote:

1. You need to decide if you [highlight]REALLY[/highlight] want to be commercial diver

2. Booked for the course earliest date

3. Make sure you have Medic First Aid & O2 provider (DAN be good) ... before U go there

4. Better master the DM manual & Instructor Manual
- Be good with Decompression table ... US Navy, RN & DCIEM Table.... DM's & Instructors fail big time here
- Very good with diving EQUIPMENT, [highlight]Pratical side of it ... most DMs & Instructors fail big time here[/highlight].

5. Have basic knots skill
- Bowline ...reefknots...splice....back splice... eye splice.... etc

6. Do PULHEEMs/SPUMS FIT TO DIVE check .... HAT in Lumut
- They might have called it Institute Of Hyperbaric Medicine ...now  
- You can check with DIVEDOC ..... he is a moderator for MUW

7. Do BOSIET (opito approve) would be great...cost more but good la
- No budget just do BOSIET at MAS building .... SeaQ

The money is OFFSHORE ..... to work offshore you would need ADAS Pt.1, Pt.2 & Pt. 3
Course Duration 3 month.

This is the website[highlight] www.underwaterctr.com.au[/highlight]

;D

So you decide whether you can go immediately after OWD or AOWD. Read Points # 3 & 4 before you answer. Then read #7.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#33  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 21, 2007 5:46 am

oh.. kekeke.. guess i opened the windows tooo early :P
thanks for highlighting...

like one of the post by ironore... he did the bosiet for about 2k only... compared to what u mentioned earlier.. about 80-90k?

and do i need to be an dm & instructor to go bosiet? :P ... or just reading their book?

superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#34  Postby SeaDemon » Mon May 21, 2007 5:51 am

like one of the post by ironore... he did the bosiet for about 2k only... compared to what u mentioned earlier.. about 80-90k?

and do i need to be an dm & instructor to go bosiet? :P ... or just reading their book?

Anyone can do BOSIET. But you must know which BOSIET course to take. It must be an OPITO approved BOSIET before you can be deployed internationally. BOSIET is just one of the courses required to go offshore...not skills for working but for survival. You don't learn how to dive by doing BOSIET or HUET and stuff like that. BOSIET does NOT make you a commercial diver. It is just a prerequisite to work offshore.

What you need is your ADAS Parts 1 through 3 and that would cost you RM80K-90K.

Read back what Snafu has written. If you think you can do the job by just reading, then well and good. Tasmania should restrict itself to just being a tourist area, or where people commit incest (it's an Aussie joke).

Digest the items that have been written in this Commercial Diving thread.
Last edited by SeaDemon on Mon May 21, 2007 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#35  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 21, 2007 9:24 am

Anyone can do BOSIET. But you must know which BOSIET course to take. It must be an OPITO approved BOSIET before you can be deployed internationally. BOSIET is just one of the courses required to go offshore...not skills for working but for survival. You don't learn how to dive by doing BOSIET or HUET and stuff like that. BOSIET does NOT make you a commercial diver. It is just a prerequisite to work offshore.

What you need is your ADAS Parts 1 through 3 and that would cost you RM80K-90K.

Read back what Snafu has written. If you think you can do the job by just reading, then well and good. Tasmania should restrict itself to just being a tourist area, or where people commit incest (it's an Aussie joke).

Digest the items that have been written in this Commercial Diving thread.

i am following all the posts i thought ... i missed this one i guess ...

for the info anyway thanks :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#36  Postby joe » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:08 am

What is the fun in all that? It gives you the rush...checking your equipment because your life and that of your buddy depends on YOUR equipment. You get to see wrecks of battleships and other warships that look as if time had stopped. You can imagine the crew running here and there doing damage control and at the same time being blown to bits by the bombs the Japanese aircraft drop. You can see the huge torpedo holes on the Repulse and know how it looked like as it steamed at 14 knots as it disappeared beneath the waves.

Then you start your way back to the ascent line and commence your deco stops according to your run times. Curious whale shark stop by to check you out....followed by a school of 2m Cobias...and then schools of Batfish. You reach 21m you switch to your EAN50...at 6m you switch to 100% O2 and you watch your depth...at 3m you're on the deco station breathing surface-supplied oxygen. Cool stuff.

Topside, as you relax while still breathing O2, you have a look at your camera playback, you see 15-inch guns, you see anti-aircraft guns, you see the lifeboats, you see the gigantic propellers, rudders, torpedo holes..and you smile to yourself saying, "Hah! I'm sick of looking at Nemos." ;D ;D ;D

Now I am drooling........

I am so jealous coz I am imagining all that in my head >:(

me too  :P
joe

Topic author

Post Number:#37  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:07 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Poison used: Round-Up, from MOSANTO ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#38  Postby griffin666 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:04 am

i've questions to ask on commercial diving: 1) how do i go about it  & 2) where in KL/Selangor can i go & get the course. any contact number my friends?
griffin666

Topic author

Post Number:#39  Postby GOD » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:36 am

i've questions to ask on commercial diving: 1) how do i go about it  & 2) where in KL/Selangor can i go & get the course. any contact number my friends?

Hi Griffin666,

What qualifications you have right now on diving related?

You cant do a reconized HSE & IMCA  diving course to work offshore in MALAYSIA.

Which are you would like to work as a commercial diver?

BTW... Please Introduce yourself to MUW members at the General Diving - Introduction Section.

Do tell us more about yourself.

Thanks.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#40  Postby bugisdiver » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:25 pm

ironore wrote:commercial diver ni not necessarily works offshore kan.. but if wanna work offshore camne nak start..

i got myself enroll buat Tropical Water Basic Offshore Safety Induction Emergency Training (T-Bosiet) kat CONSIST Ulu Klang tu.. best jugak course kat situ n got me expose to offshore working life.. but nak tau jugak further detail..

Helo Bro T-Bosiet only accepted around this region, if u wanna go far u better take Bosiet, only a few hundreds different ma...

Cheers
bugisdiver
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#41  Postby khai kogaku » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:15 pm

hi bro & all the sifu,

Is there any company funding the training? or is it always to bare the cost on your own first?

Is there any minimum qualification/experience in order to be a commercial diver?

regards,
khai
khai kogaku
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#42  Postby ironore » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:51 am

bugisdiver wrote:
ironore wrote:commercial diver ni not necessarily works offshore kan.. but if wanna work offshore camne nak start..

i got myself enroll buat Tropical Water Basic Offshore Safety Induction Emergency Training (T-Bosiet) kat CONSIST Ulu Klang tu.. best jugak course kat situ n got me expose to offshore working life.. but nak tau jugak further detail..

Helo Bro T-Bosiet only accepted around this region, if u wanna go far u better take Bosiet, only a few hundreds different ma...

Cheers

yoo bro.. hahaha.. dat time still blur on getting the safety passport.. any how still within this region jer now working..
maybe when renew kot bleh upgrade to that probably..

dive safe
ironore
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#43  Postby salcom » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:18 am

kogaku wrote:hi bro & all the sifu,

Is there any company funding the training? or is it always to bare the cost on your own first?

Is there any minimum qualification/experience in order to be a commercial diver?

regards,
khai

No company will fund the training. Way to get money then?:

- Get a loan
- borrow from parent
- refinancing your property
- someone sponsor you
- loan from bank
- don't loan from shark loan

like most of the commercial divers, i bare everything myself.

minimum requirement to become commercial diver:

- have at least open water divers (advance, divemaster, instructor are very good)
- have good swimming skills that can swim non stop for 200m in any style
- tread water with 1 hand up for 2 mins
- have current first aid certificate (most diver take emergency response from PADI)
- have current dive medical screening (you can do it at labuan or miri for east m'sia). This is not a normal medical check up. Medical check up for diving evaluate your body balancing, hearing, eye sight, FEV (amount of air you can exhale).
- have minimum 10 recreational dive in the past 6 months

that's all i can think off
salcom
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#44  Postby dwtk » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:58 am

hello fellow divers :D :hello:
had fun and was thrilled reading this thread!
would like to hear more bout it from you guys...
and would love to become one myself but i'm still wayyyyy to far away to become one...

cheers!
:D
Eat, Sleep & Dive.
dwtk
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#45  Postby AdRiaN cHuA » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:09 am

I'm so lucky that I get sponsor by a company for me to go half way to offshore diver (Part I and Part II restricted). I did save alot when I upgrade my license to Part III. After the course i have to serve the company for 2 year in aqualculture line. My contract is going to finish soon and I will go for my Part III this coming October.
AdRiaN cHuA
Diver
Diver

Previous

Return to Offshore Diving